America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Titan Tours USA
37 Posts
Not done that tour but did do the Rockies and Alaska with Titan a couple of years ago. The coaches they used did not have toilets but they did make regular stops on longer journeys. Another thing they did was to have a seating plan where they rotated you round the coach so that everyone got a turn in the seats at the front and you didn't have all the queueing fuss for the 'best' seats each morning because you already knew where you were sitting!
Thanks Hi De Hi,

Was a little concerned that there would not be a toilet on board but if the rest stops are frequent then its unlikely to be a problem. I like the idea of rotating the seats its a very fair way to do it, I have been on trips before where the same people always rush to the front to grab the best seats.

Just one more thing if you don't mind, Could you please tell me the age range of the people on your tour, We are a couple in our late forties and wondered if there would be other people are age or do they all tend to be a little older.

Debbie
you find the coach will stop every 2hr usually max 2 1/2 hrs....but looking at your tour expect some early starts you may be on the coach for 7.30am or 8am starts with your suitcase need to be outside your room say 7am....on coach for 8am,i dont think your age will be a problem always been a mixed bunch couple of tours we have been on,We went with titan to austrailia and they looked after us so good i hope you have a great holiday.Not sure if you been to california before,only problem we felt was we didnt have long enough in the main places so last time we went,we flew between the major cities and had more time in each place...but you cant fault titan an outstanding company from the moment they pick you up...if you have any other questions please ask...
Don't forget that Titan is mainly a wrinklies holiday outfit (we were the youngest on our trip and we are in our 50s)! so toilet stops have to be regular.
Thanks to you both for your help.

One other thing i was wondering is when do you actually get confirmation of the hotels and airline that will be used for your tour. In the brochure most stops have more then one hotel listed and states the airline will be either BA, Virgin or United Airlines. I know i am not going until May but i am so excited. I like to look up the hotels and do a bit of reasearch before i go.

Debbie
I don't recall when we found out which airline, we flew Air Canada, they were OK but the entertainment system broke down and so there were no films or audio for the whole 8 hours. Luckily we always take books and our Mp3 players but some passengers were crawling up the walls!

I'm sure that the hotel names and flights came with the booking confirmations. Titan use good quality hotels.

Are they picking you up from your door? The drivers are very good and if the journey is longer than a couple of hours they also stop at the motorway services and they give you a voucher for a drink and a snack.
We are being picked up from home, We live in Plymouth so it is about a four hour drive, or longer if we have to pick anyone else up on the way. I have only read good things about Titan and the home pick up service is a bonus for us, This year we went to Mexico and had to fly from Gatwick, we had to take a flight from Plymouth the day before and stay at the Sofitol Gatwick and then a flight back to Pymouth on our return, This cost us £300 so having this service is a fantastic saving for us. All the more to spend when you get there!
im sure both times we went,when the confirmation comes through with pick up time etc...all the hotels and flight numbers come in a pack,with the optional excursions as well,Ive just looked at the Trip we have stopped at the holiday inn golden gateway in san francisco its on van ness ave.by the california cable line but thats the line nobody ever really uses on the cable cars and dont run very often.its a taxi ride or bus ride stop outside hotel down to pier 39 fishermans wharf,or union Sq to where main cable cars run,if you want to visit Alcatraz i notice you only 2 nights there book tickets online for a afternoon crossing after your city tour there,because its very popular may not get chance the day you get there.also stopped at cambria pines lodge as name says..rooms are really massive set in a forest,but there isnt much else there..and on to the clarion at anaheim stopped there in 1997 so it may have changed...but was ok...could see the fireworks from disney across the road,
if you do go to disney with your ticket provided make sure you go on soarin at california park oppisite main park...its an outstanding ride go there first when park opening to beat the queue's i love that ride...Plus also Vegas hotel are right in middle of strip...so no worries there also..enjoy your trip.
Hi holidaylover10
We are going on this same tour 23rd sept :sun2 :yikes :D , we were given our flight (BA) details about 2 months ago and received our final itinerary including pick up time, hotels,tickets etc on saturday (11 sept) also states that there are 2 toilets onboard the coach
happy to answer any questions you may have i will be around for another week or so :)
i will let you know how it went when we get back (ill try to remember to post)
HTH
Edd
H Edd,

Thanks very much for the info. I look forward to hearing about your trip on your return. If possible could you let me know what hotels are being used on your trip as i see you are a Thursday departure the same as me, we leave on the Thursday the 19th May. I don't know whether the day of the week you leave makes any difference to your hotel itinery.
Debbie
Hi Debbie
our hotels are : San diego = Crowne plaza, Phoenix = Hilton Garden Inn, Flagstaff = Radisson Woodlands, Vegas = Flamingo, Visalia = Holiday Inn, Sonora = Best Western sonora Oaks, San francisco = holiday Inn Golden Gateway,Cambria = cambria Pines lodge,Anaheim = Holiday Inn Hotel & suites
HTH
Edd
Hi Edd,

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Hope you have a great holiday, hopefully hear from you on your return.

Regards

Debbie
Hi

we did the tour in 2001 (a long time ago) and whilst it was mainly oldies there were younger people like us. The organisation, tour guide, coach, hotels, transfers etc could not be faulted at all. it was a great trip. yes there were early morning starts and long distances to travel but our guide made it so easy.

We were surprised how much these oldies eat!!! Just watch!!!
Three words for you: early bird special.
Hi Debbie

Im back!! :) We saw such alot in a short time and such diverse scenery we did 3016miles!! the coach was nice and had 2 toilets, yes some days we were away early (8am) and some days we did seem to spend a long time on the coach and it would have been nice to have had a little while longer in some of the places, All hotels are of good standard our rep (jim) was top notch as was alex our driver (god he worked hard), i would say it was more a travel experience than a holiday we were very lucky and had great fellow travellers most older than us but with a few younger (im 50) an we all got together in San fransico for lovely evening meal :cheers . we had never done a coach tour before and although we had a fantastic time i did find it a bit tiring and rushed at times not sure i would do one as intense again but really glad we did it.

we wasnt planning to do the helicoptor over grand canyon but changed our minds when we got there ........wow glad we did it!!!

all in all a great holiday no complaints :tup (well maybe just one, British Airways VERY cramped not Titans fault)

if you have any question ill be more than happy to help
HTH
Edd
Hi Edd,

Good to hear from you! Thanks for letting me know how the trip went. Sounds AWESOME as the Americans would say.

I am really looking forward to this trip, We are going for my husbands 50th birthday in May, He has always wanted to visit the grand canyon so arranged the flight departure day to coincide with visiting the canyon on his actual birthday. Have already booked the 50 minute helicopter tour as a surprise, so hopefully it will be a birthday to remember. Also did you do the Alcatraz tour as this is something else my husband would like to do and if so did you book before leaving the uk or in resort? As for me i am really looking forward to Yosimite park

As far as the age of your fellow travellers it makes no odds i guess as long as you all get along, and it sounds like you had a great bunch on your tour. When you all went for a meal in San Francisco was that the groups suggestion or the reps? Wondered if its something the reps do for a little bonding between the holiday makers.

I didnt know the trip covered so many miles, i thought it was nearer 2000 so no wonder there is so much time spent on the coach. But to see so much in one trip i suppose its inevitable.

Just one last question what time was your flight from the uk? As we live nearly 4 hours away from Heathrow we were debating whether to go up the day before and stay in a hotel that night if its an early flight, We have booked the home departure service but apparently they will pick you up the day before if you wish.

Many thanks to all of you for your replys and especially to Edd for remembering to get back to me after his trip.

Debbie
I would definitly book alcatraz before you leave the UK as when we did it they had no walk up tickets available for 2 weeks. At least if you have booked you just turn up and don't have to queue.

Yosemite is also awesome.
Hi Debbie

we booked Alcatraz before we went http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/ as its VERY popular a few of our group tried to get tickets but with know joy

the meal was the reps idea (suspect he gets some commission) all 42 decided to go and it was a great evening

Our flight left Heathrow 12.15pm bearring in mind you have to be there 3hrs before Titan offered us thier "easyrider" service where they pick up day before and you spend the night at hotel near airport £79 pp i think but as we are only an hour from Heathrow we declined. Very impressed with Titan and will go with them again im sure
have a great trip

HTH
Edd

ps had my 50th in las Vegas :cheers
Hi Edd

We (Alan & I) have just booked the same Titan trip you went on in Sept 2010. We go on Sept 1st this year. I have loads of questions but will keep each posting short(ish).

I hope you'll be able to give us some guidance as this is our first coach trip.

I am checking average weather reports for the areas we're visiting in September so I have a better idea of what to pack but would appreciate any hints or tips you can give me regarding what to wear for the daily trips and on the coach. Is the air-con so high that you need your thermals?

Is there any sort of dress code for the evening meals? Alan is concerned he'll be frowned on if he wears jeans. He normally wears shorts during the day - is this OK for that time of the year?

Thanks in advance to you (and anyone listening) for any help you can give us.
:cheers
Stella (Mindy51)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.