America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Orlando is a lot easier now than it ever was for transport. We went with a couple who paid for a car at the airport, but we used transport. We used Lynx buses and buses to the parks and on occasions taxis. We found it to be alot cheaper doing this. They paid £500 with waivers and insurances for 2 weeks, buses and taxis cost £100 for two weeks. Admittingly using coaches etc would restrict you to come back when they say, but when for instance we were at wet and wild, we walked down the hill to Universal. It is up to the individual what they want to do. Whether they use buses or even walk.

I have been driven for a lot of years, but still would use transport. Your hotel would provide this, or arrange cabs when you want them, they are very cheap.

Enjoy your holiday.
Even though we normally hire a car now (booking a fly drive + villa), I would say, if it is your first trip, and you are doing loads of Disney whilst staying on site, then don't bother to hire a car.

A car is more useful on a second trip, when you perhaps want to do more non Disney things, stay somewhere else, and have the benefit of seeing how the whole system out there works.

It should cost much more than £200, for 2 weeks hire, for a family saloon though. :)
we went october 2005 for the first time and i used this forum for all info,
and as we like to venture around at our own time being the deciders of where and when we go i hired a car for the 3 weeks we were there and it was 1 of many of the best things we did being able to go to malls markets and all attractions by just putting the key in the ignition ,saying that i was staying in a villa and not at one of the parks and i had no intention of spending all that monet to go to floriday visiting all parks etc to then try and save a few hundred quid and hassle of using their transport,itisnt the fact that ime loaded as ime not but i wanted to give us all a holiday of a lifetime,and it was so we are hoping to go again this october i have just got to get extra hrs in at work,i would allso like to point out that driving on their roads was easy night and day and i even got my wife to drive a good few times even the over 1 hr drive to bush gardens from kissimmee
she loved it after a while allthough she complained about not being able to see the seights as she was driving,it surprised me really as over here she refuses to drive on the motorway,but saying all this ,this is our own preferences to our own experience and as everyone has their own preferences and experiences it is every one to their own after all life would be crap if we all had the same oppinion.
Forgot to mention it is rarely worth taking the 'free' car in these package deals (and mostly you don't have to take it to book the rest of the deal)......more often than not it is better to take the package without it, and hire a car separately elsewhere. Often this is where the package companies stand to make their biggest mark up with ridiculous insurance charges on the 'free' car.........steer clear or it will cost you twice as much as it needs to.

Take a look on sites such as Airline Network to see roughly what car hire should be costing you ....there are plenty of other sites too, so with a little research you should save a small fortune if you do decide to hire a car.

Good luck. :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.