Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
always rent a bike in goa, dont ride in the uk or hold a bikers license and never had any problems.

Yeah the roads are crowded and you need to keep an eye out but as long as you are sensible you will have no problems. Its no worse than driving in london or the M25.

Regards

Peter
Driving in Goa can be a bit mad, but once you get used to it pretty safe. ALTHOUGH, just today I had a mad driver swerve onto myside of the road... Nearly got me, I think I was very lucky... I called him a few choice words, but then went back to missing th cows, dogs, people, lorries etc.... I also think the police are getting a little desperate now most of the tourist have gone as I got stopped today (which doesn't usually happen).... Thankfully I own my bike and have all the papers! - Ha Mr Policeman! - A while back one stopped me and said 'Welcome to Goa' which I replied - 'I live here!' :o)
As ever when this topic comes up I'm amazed that people even contemplate taking to the Goan roads uninsured. If they want to take the chance of possible injury, and worse case scenario of being seriously ill in Goa without the cover to medivac them home, thats their lookout, but what about any Goan they may injure? who,s going to compensate them? Dont they give this a thought? surely they woudnt drive in the U.K. uninsured and if they woudnt, why do it in Goa Alan
I always hire a scooter in Goa and have no problems other than being stopped by the police one time. I also ride a scooter in the UK and the drivers are just as bad if not worse in UK. Having a scooter gives you the independance to just shoot off to whereevr and the roadfs north of Baga are pretty much empty
The thought of the freedom a scooter brings is tempting but on a visit a few years ago I met a young honeymoon couple who hit a pothole at dusk and he was a real mess - fractured neck, broken wrists, ankle, and cuts and bruises all over the place. He was in a sorry state. Fortunately, the new Mrs was thrown clear and was just bruised and sore

He wasn't going fast or clowning about, hadn't been on the Kingfisher - just missed a pothole in the dark.

I'd love a go but common sense kicks in every time!
Most of the people contributing to this subject( with the exception of Rob who I know has) seem remarkabley vague on the insurance point They all think it's great, the roads are'nt that bad, and they just love the freedom they get, but not a word of what cover they have insurance wise. Hiring off the room boy invalidates your travel insurance, and your car insurance back home wont do, so how do they address this worrying point, or do they just chance it, as they are all such good riders, it wont happen to them? Alan
Gramps like a lot of things you take your chance.

How many people travel round the world with no insurance, probably loads.

Met many people in egypt trying out scuba diving without taking insurance into account (the cost for the decompression chamber in sharm is in excess of $5000 per day).

How many taxi drivers in goa have sufficient insurance to cover the passengers if they crash, probably few.

At the end of the day if you do have a crash and break a bone or 2 the cost of having it fixed in Goa is very cheap so thats not to much of an issue, if you are killed then your dead not much insurance can do for you there.

At the end of the day if Hertz and the likes opened up counters in Goa they no doubt would get the business but as they havent thats an option you cant use.

So either you put your life in the hands of a taxi driver or take control yourself i personally would rather use my own eyes and ears to safeguard my life and my passengers than some crazy taxi driver who is just wanting to get you to your destination as quickly as possible blind corners or no blind corners.

And as i have already said, some of the roads in the UK are just as bad if not worse than in Goa.

Regards

Peter
Hi all

We just got back and hired a jeep whilst we were in Goa. Found the driving not too bad - thought I would be clinging onto the seat! We had to apply (through the AA) for an international driving permit - I understand that if you dont have this paperwork then the police have a field day if they stop you. As for insurance ...... who knows? Its just beliving that you will be safe or that the "hirer" has been honest about being covered for us to use the car......

Jo
Hi Jo could I ask where you hired the jeep from and how much did you pay, thanx :?:
Hi Gramps... The Insurance (Bike/Car Insurance) only covers the vehicle and as long as you're not renting the vehicle (wink wink) the bike shoulld be covered. For hospital bills you need insurance on top of that! It's worth getting over here as it's really cheap but obviously won't pay for you to return to England
I,m still puzzled about where all this leaves the poor unfortunate Goan in the sad event of being injured in an accident with you whilst you ride your uninsured scooter That person may be the sole breadwinner for an extended family, they almost definitley will have no life insurance or anything like that, as just putting food on the table will be their main concern and loss of earnings and hospitalisation would be an absolute tragedy for that person. I,m not concerned with any damage you wish to risk inflicting on yourself but what about the other person? Does that thought not enter anybodys head when they take a chance with the roomboys scooter? Alan
Hi Rob,
The insuranace also would only cover if the rider/driver has a valid driving licence.... which you have .. but what if a person doesn't have a intrernational driving licence or has hired a vehicle that can't be rented... then the insurance company would not pay either for the damaged vehicle nor to the third party involved in the accident....
I guess Alan does have a valid point there...
Nigel
Gramps as rob said the local insurance only covers the bike/car so if a local hits a local, the locals are not covered. So if we hit a local its exactly the same as if a local hits a local, with the only difference being the bike is not insured.

And if the local is willing to rent out his bike knowing that you are not insured for the actual bike then that is down to him.

This is based on a few assumptions from robs post.

At the end of the day, I and others like the freedom of using a bike when in Goa, yes we know the risks of driving in Goa just as we know about the risks of driving anywhere in the world. But again if everyone started not renting the bikes these people would again lose a form of income that they desperately need.

Regards

Peter
Peter,
Vehicle insurance in India covers third party risk too that means people who are injured by the driver/rider of the vehicle provided the person at the wheel has a valdi driving licence, is not under the influence of alcohol and isn't racing or renting the vehicle..... Third party cover is the cheapest insurance on a vehicle and is a must.... it covers risk to the party or other vehicle damaged in the accident.... so there isn't a question of locals not being able to claim money from the insurance company oif he was knocked down by another local
Nigel
I,m afraid the last post confirms what I have been trying to point out, namely, that the vast majority of people driving scooters in Goa do so uninsured. I dont realy think very much of the arguement that as the person hiring you the bike hasent got the correct insurance, so then thats his lookout, even if you are party to the deal, and know full well that you are uninsured. As far as helping the economy I would imagine that even in Goa a scooter is very much a luxury and the vast majority dont own one and it's that majority of the poorest I,m concerned with if they get knocked down by a holiday maker driving without insurance. If you are injured whilst driving it was your choice, but the person you injure has'ent got that luxury, and could be left in all sorts of trouble, while you jet off home at the end of your holiday Alan
Gramps has got it right here.
Would the people who , whilst on holiday, think that it's fine to drive without insurance cover apply the same rules to visitors driving on British roads?
As far as the comment re "a couple of broken bones and the cost of hospital treatment being cheap", it doesn't end there does it?
A broken leg in plaster, for example will stop you getting your flight home,
and should you be unfortunate enough to perish then the cost of flying a coffin home will be astronomical ( and NO the British embassy will not pick up the bill).
It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has had an uninsured accident over there regarding what the penalties can be.

Without wishing to offend anyone it seems a selfish kind of attitude to take.
On a lighter note, if you are uninsured please make sure that you don't run me over..... I sue!!!!
del949
I ride a big bike in the UK, take an international license but just hire off the taxi drivers in Goa. I'm careful but i know the risks involved. I don't ride fast, don't get annoyed, watch the road like a hawk for bumps, holes and crazy Indians asleep in the road.
A university friend of mine had a scooter accident in Goa about 10 years ago. He hit a tree, suffered brain damage, eventually got flown back to the UK and he spent 2 years in a convalescent home. The drugs for his brain injury made him swell from 12 to about 18 stone and he needed a walking stick to keep his balance. He became batty, developed a stutter, forgetful, couldn't hold down a job, forgot to wash, dropped out completely and ended up in a council flat. Only now...10 years later...is he sufficiently recovered enough to hold a proper conversation and actually appear 'normal', but his life was messed up for a long time and he'll never get those years back. The word "Goa" makes him very upset.

This trip, i saw more tourists than ever, doubled up, in convoy, racing through the countryside wearing only sunglasses, shorts and flip flops for protection. Their choice, their risk.
The best riders you see are the old fella's on the big bikes, you never see them gawping at shops, trying to show off or slide around buses.
(This trip, i saw more tourists than ever, doubled up, in convoy, racing through the countryside wearing only sunglasses, shorts and flip flops for protection. Their choice, their risk.)

I also saw a white "women", with a child of about 3 yo standing in the footwell of a scooter, my thought can't be printed, I just hope the childs God was watching over him, because his F :swear ing mother wasn't

lez
If she was the same woman we saw with the child on the footwell you may have noticed she had the child tied on with a scarf. We couldn't believe it when we saw her so when she stopped the bike our friend went over and really told her off but there was a language problem but I think she got the message. :( (She was Finnish or Scandinavian etc)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.