America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
The tornados hit Lake County which is mostly rural, it is about 50 miles NW of Orlando. Orlando was unaffected except for storms.
A terrible trio of three tornadoes struck the towns of Lady Lake, Paisley, and New Smyrna Beach. The Villages, a large retirement community located in that area suffered significant damage and at least 1500 homes were destroyed or seriously damaged. The tornadoes came in the dead of night (about three am) so there was little or no warning for the local residents. Twenty people died including a father trying to save his seven year old son from the huge tornado. The scenes of damage are stupifying and it is difficult to believe that wind could flip over 18 wheel trucks on Interstate 4 or entirely encase palm trees in aluminium panels. Frankly the area looks like a nuclear weapon was airburst over it. I believe photos and information on donations is still available at http://www.wesh.com.

Weather experts are blaming the El Nino weather phenomenon, which is the warming of the eastern Pacific Ocean that occurs every number of years.

As noted above, the damaged areas are about 50 miles north of the Disney area and the actual effected areas are only about a couple of miles wide extending from the Wildwood area over to New Smyrna on the east coast. The last tornado dissipated when it reached the Atlantic Ocean.

There was no damage or severe weather in the Disney area and there should be absolutely no problems with accomodations, either villa or hotel, if you are planning a trip to Disney World.
I was actually awake between 2-30 and 4am when the tornadoes hit.

Fortunately I was in Kissimmee and there was no damage here whatsoever.

So don't let it put you off.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.