Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Hi Ruth,We like you love Turkey and visit twice a year but have also been to Tunisia 3 times the latest at Christmas.
We have only stayed in Port el Kantoui as its a purpose built resort which resembles a Mediterranean village with a lovely marina.There are cloured musical fountains in the square on an evening.
It is a short ride to Sousse which is a typical Tunisian town.
The beaches are the best I have seen anywhere including the Caribbean,they are soft white sand.
The hotel we stayed at is the Riviera and my review is on the review section.
There were many people there on their own and the staff here are wonderful.
Its not the most expensive hotel but its excellent value for money.Its available with Thomas Cook.
There are hotels stretching from PEK all the way to Sousse on the beach but PEK is good for a first visit.
The hotel has 2 pools,one has slides and the animation staff entertain the children from morning to night.
The hotel is behind its sister hotel which is on the beach but you can either go through the hotel or walk down the short path to the beach.There is a beach bar here where you can get lunch and drinks ,although these were closed when we were there at Christmas.
Have a look at the reviews on Trip advisor as there are lots of photos on there. :tup
Hi Jay,
Thank you very much for that, it feels odd researching all over again. Your description sounds really good and a beach is a must for OH and slides a must for the 7 year old... Me, I just want sun so don't mind where I am!

I was looking at PEK, Yasmine Hammamet and Sousse. I fancy a bit of everything on our doorstep, we loke Icmeler, Turkey. But maybe have got too used to going there... Can you walk out of the hotel's into a like market / street area? From what I am reading I'm not sure if the town squares are far away from the hotel's on the beach front.

Oh why did I start this search! :-)
Hi,I have probably bumped into you in Icmeler as we first went in 1992 and go every year in September or October.
The hotel is about a 15min walk to the Marina and after leaving the hotel you walk past golf courses and a couple of other hotels.There are also some shops here and a big supermarket with fixed prices.
The nearest market in in Sousse which is not for the faint hearted but we loved it and didnt feel there was any more hassle than Turkey.
There are 2 hotels nearer to the Port but one has a huge building site next to it,the Marhaba Palace which doest seem to have as much for children.
The building site used to be the Riu Green Park hotel which we loved but they demolished and are building a new hotel.
The other is the Kanta which is a few bocks back from the beach and the wrong side of the road.
The sister hotel to the Riviera is the Abou Sofianne where we stayed 2 years ago but it is being leased for 2 years by a Turkish company and sold to Russian travel agencies :yikes
I have been tempted to try Hammamet but have read recent reports saying the resort is quite scruffy and the new area Yasmine Hammamet has been neglected.
Both resorts are about 45minutes from the new airport which opened last year.
The resort of Skanes has some lovely hotels but there is literally nothing there and you wouuld have to get the bus or taxi to Sousse.
Have a look at the reviews of the month you are going as the recent ones are from the winter guests.
Have a look on Google earth to give you an idea of where the hotels are situated.
There are some photos on Thomas Cooks website.
Hello,
Maybe you have. I am driving myself nutty just looking and cannot decide. I was looking for maybe 4* or 5* but not seen any really for PEK. Any ideas anybody?

A lot of reviews seam to be older, maybe someone will be along to give an update on the various resorts in Tunisia later. Just want to cover all bases.

Good idea about google earth, worth a look too. Thank you :-)
The Abou Sofine is in the TC brocure... ? So I am assuming it is ok to go to ???
I personally wouldnt go to the Abou Sofianne because of many Russians staying there this year.
We have encountered them in Egypt and dont want to repeat the experience. :really
I would choose the Riu Bellevue or Riu Imperial ,which are further out of the Port or the Ibereostar Diar Andelious which is on the beach next to the Abou.
We had a look around at Christmas and it was lovely but remember seeing know slides. :que
The Riu hotel are very good standard and I was so sad when the Green Park got demolished as it was lovely.
The new hotel wont be open until next year though.
Hi, we stayed at Riu Marco Polo (Yasmine Hammamet) last September and would definatley recommend it. booked Riu El Mansour this June but a lot longer transfer from the airport!! We always enjoy the Riu standard. Regards Sue
Hi, since our 1st visit to Tunisia about 9 years ago, we have been every year since lov with the place and people, We have stayed in skanes, ( and has been said, absalutly nothing in the area) stayed in sousse quite a few times, marhaba beach, entertainment for adults and kids fab, but no slides, seconds away from the beach, which is an all the beaches are glorious, stayed in Hammamet, quite a few times now, quiet resort, but we make our own fun, as there is a gang of us who meet up to go on hols now, been to PEK which was nice, we have been lucky as the hotels we have stayed in have all been on the beach :-) I would say the best hotel we stayed in was the Marhaba beach, Sousse, which has 3hotels on the complex and easy access to Tunisia transport, especially the tuk tuks, and noddy train are a must lol.
Good luck in your search

Roo
I'm with you there regarding the Marhaba Beach Roo. As most of you know I almost always stay in Sousse, though I have stayed in Port el Kantaoui a couple of times and even Borj Cedria for a weekend when I went over for a wedding. One big advantage of Sousse is that the train, metro, bus and louage stations are all there it is so cheap and easy to get to other areas. PEK is just a cheap taxi ride down the road and although rather man-made for the tourists it is lovely to wander round, sit with a drink looking at the boats and watching the tourists or go the other side and watch the musical fountain, especially in the evening. There is also a children's amusement park in PEK as well as a small zoo, which is apparently far nicer than it looks from the outside, though I haven't visited it yet - perhaps next time.
I was amazed how easy it was to use train, and so so cheap, and staff very helpful as we didn't have a clue, even Tunisian people on the train started conversation and they were so helpful :-) Sousee as you say Aslemma I found is more central to get around, and as for PEK with the water fountings of a nite time is a must, absalutly stunning. Since our time in going to Tunisia we have become very very good friends with some of the locals, which is lovely and the people especially go out of there way to help you, I am hooked lined and sinkered on Tunisia now :-)
After 13 years of twice-yearly visits I guess you can say I'm hooked. :D I booked my hotel and transfer for April last night so now I can stop checking prices.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.