Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
The train service is reasonably good, the trains are a little bit rough but generally tidy and punctual. They are also quite cheap, Lagos to Portimao is €1.32 single (adult). The local trains do have an alarming habit of running with the doors open so do not let the kids run around!

Lagos station is hidden away on the opposite side of the marina and Portimao is on the edge of the town centre. Albufeira is a long way out of town so probably not a good idea. Faro is close to the marina and old town if you wanted to go there.

As for everything else you might need to know about transport on the Algarve the undisputed expert is cubsur who has created his own site at http://www.algarvebus.info which includes the full timetable for the Lagos line.
Hi, I can give you any number of good restaurants but must confess that I'm no expert when it comes to youngsters' menus.Virtually all restaurants have their full menus on display outside their premises so, if I give you a list of recommended restaurants, the outside menus should enable your boys to decide whether there's something for them there.
In no particular order:A Veneza on Rua 25 Abril ( the main street for eateries)has probably the most extensive menu in town;Dom Sebastao(again on 25 Abril)is good, as is O Galeao and Christian's Kitchen (not certain that they cater for youngsters tho')
Italia Pizzeria between the two town squares should suit a youngster's tastes(assuming that,like all youngsters, they like Pizza !) and they do a superb fillet steak in Gorganzola sauce - my one gripe is that they're over-pricey with the wine.Good food too at Fernando's restaurant on the Avenida, not far from the fish market.O Artista, almost opposite the driveway to the Hotel Tivoli, gave us an enjoyable meal in December and will almost certainly have plenty to interest the boys as their kitchen provides the bar snack menu for Luis' Bar next door. During the day, the Amuras bar on the Marina do a full range of snacks and the two beach bars on Meia Praia - Linda and The Bahia have a wide range of burgers;The Bahia is our favourite of the two as they have, in my opinion, a better range of food available and always have a couple of Portuguese dishes on offer.Your only concern anywhere in town is whether the boys are happy with the meals on offer -they'll be welcome everywhere as the Portuguese people have a lot of time for kids.If you want directions to any of these places, just ask.
Thanks Sagres, I'm sure we'll find the restaurants you mention. On a different subject we visited Amoreira (i think) last year on your advice, the river beach as my 2 boys call it. Its the beach that blends in to the sand dunes with the river flowing inland. We actually went back there twice as the boys thought the shallow water was great especially when the tide pulled the water back out to sea as the water actually got warmer. Many thanks for that as it certainly made our holiday. Have you any more out of the way gems up your sleeve? although i doubt you can better that little part of paradise.

Many thanks again

Roll on Easter!!

Andy
If you follow the coast south from Amoreiras, you'll come to Monte Clerigo, Arrifana and Carrapateira beaches - all beautiful beaches, but none quite as good as Amoreiras in my opinion.
I use the trains quite a bit (it's my website INVALID URL and a ride from Lagos to Faro even would take only about 1hr 40 minutes and cost a mere €12.80 return for the adults.

If you didn't want to go that far and Portimao doesn't beckon, the station at Tunes is a fairly good-sized junction station, which every now and then has numerous passenger and freight trains going in and out. It's about an hour's run from Lagos through some reasonably nice scenery but might mean 3 hours or so 'watching the trains' as Tunes doesn't have a lot going for it except for the station! I have spent some time there just taking pictures plus enjoying a beer or two at the bar on the platform.

Faro on the other hand is a big enough place to make a long journey worthwhile, as there is quite a lot of interest behind the old city walls once you are there.

Beware that there are long gaps in the train service on Sundays and holidays.
Thanks Cubsar,

I take it you can purchase return tickets at the station like back here or do you have to purchase 2 singles?. Are the concessions usually -50% of the adult fare?.
Might consider going to Tunes or possibly Faro as the boys are mad on trains at the moment

Thanks

Andy
Return tickets are no problem - return price is twice the single fare and children go half price so far as I know. No fancy fare structures here!

The ticket office staff usually speak English (but it is polite to ask) and you of course have the children as a visual aid if required to make sure you get the right price.
The CP website says children are half fare from 4 to 11 which covers yours but is considerably lower than the 5 -16 in Britain. I've always asked for "Ida e Volta" for a return.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.