America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Travel City Direct
263 Posts
Booked with TCD last year, but flew with AIR ATLANTA the book-in procedure was fine/as good as TCD. The flight was fine. No tvs on back of seats but big ones in the aisle.

Be brazen when using the free bar, they dont throw it at you, but ask!!! we did, oh and the bar is 'only open at certain times' during the flight so take the free drinks 'for the duration of the flight' with a pinch of salt!!!

We were delayed 19hrs on the return journey but TCD jumbos were not affected. We are goin back this year but on a TCD jumbo!!!!!!!
Have a great time!
Mrs presley travel city direct 747's are just air atlanta a/c painted in tcd colours!
And beware, when the tcd jumbos have a problem, you'll be shoved on those awful air atlAnta ones, no seat back, knackered seats etc etc.
you've got to bear in mind they use very very old plAnes, of course they're safe but with as with Any vehicle that is 30 years old, it's gonna have problems.
we've flown with them 6 times in all, always upgraded to sunshine first which was great in 2002 + 3 when they used europeAn air charter. they now use air atlAnta/excel, i wasn't as impressed with their first last year on the flight out - don't get me started about our return flight (bumped down from first to economy but not made aware till we boarded, seats wouldn't stay upright, we were furious. the cabin crew were good to us when they realised how the check in staff decided not to tell us about our downgrade etc. the old plAne was knackered so we had to fly back on a different one which didn't hace the same about of sunshine first capacity. basically i'll never fly with them again unless they chAnge carriers.
Currently in the process of booking holiday to Orlando myself and have come across many horror stories about TCD regarding old planes and extremely long dealys. Have thus dedcidced to opt for either Virgin or Thomas Cook which seem to be a lot cheaper than V, but I cant get much info on how good they are.
Gooner

Have you tried First Choice? I got a very good price with them when I booked last year for this coming October. Plus in May they start using their new planes that have a lot more legroom.

Might be worth a try :)
I've got to say, that new service from First Choice does look impressive.
Thanks Going Plces Girl, I didnt know, so booked with Virgin last night. Paid a bit more than I would have had I travelled with a charter flight but theres more legroom, more luggage allowance.

Just hope its not too busy in May.
I don't think May is very busy. I flew with Virgin last month and had a fab flight. Don't forget that you can request your seats with Virgin, I prefer sitting at the very back of the plane in the seats that are in sets of 2.

Plus, like you said, the luggage allowance is fab with VA. 64kg EACH :D :D Lots of room for shopping :)
thats good,

do you buy ur theme park tickets in the Uk or whilst ir out there GoPlaces girl ?
I buy them in the UK, but have used an American site in the past http://www.ticketmania.com. I have also used http://www.attraction-tickets-direct.com and had excellent service from them both.

Also with VA you have twilight check in at Gatwick. So if you are planning a stay overnight at the airport the night before you travel, you can check in and get rid of your suitcases the day before. Then you'll already have you boarding cards and seats for when you go back the next day. I've done this the past two years and found it really handy to avoid the larger check-in queues on the day of travel.
Yeah have got agree with GoingPlacesGirl, we went with Virgin in October and found them to be great, the twilight check-in was great for us, as we had came down from Aberdeen the day before our flight, used this service and we did not have the bother of taking all our luggage to the travel lodge.

We also bought out Disney tickets from Ticketmania and would not hesitate to recommend them, we bought them over the internet and we received them with-in 10 days, so we will be using them again.

Have a great holiday.
Thank you both, I shall check out the tickets, but unfortunatelu shan't be able to use the twilight check in as it wont be practical.

I understand, however, that you can check in at Downtown Disney on the return journey...ever used this facility ?
Hi
You pay $5 per person to use the DTD check in, I did this last month. The check-in area is behind Cirque, you need to take all your luggage as you normally would and you'll get your boarding cards and seat numbers. This leaves you free to enjoy your last day, we went to Island of Adventure, then you only have to be there around an hour before. :D
If you have booked your holiday with Virgin Holidays then the Disney Downtown check-in is free to use!

Virgin's Upper Class, Gold and Silver level Flying Club members and Virgin Holidays customers can use the service free. Others can use the service on payment of $5 per person.
Ooops :oops:

I was booked through Expedia which would explain why we paid.
hi, we r goin to orlando in may and r flying with virgin. this will b our forth time but we,ve not decided wether to go down the night be4 or in morn. what time can u use the twilight checkin service till? does this cost extra if u,re only flying with virgin? and this may sound like a stupid question but r ur suitcases safe sittin in the airport all night? where do they put them and has anyone ever had any problems using this service? any info would b appreciated thanx :lol: 8)
I have received quotes from TCD for 3 properties in Orlando. On each quote there is a charge of £200 (£50 per person) for

'Non-Sched.Flight Only Supplement'. Does anyone know exactly what this is for? It obviously bumps up the holiday price quite a bit!

(it isnt flight supplements as they are listed on the quote separately as £20 per person).

I have emailed them but no response as yet.

Thanks,

Jo Jo
Are you by any chance not taking their hire car?.
That's correct - we arent taking out car hire. Do you think that's why they are wacking on a £200 charge??!! If so, we wont be booking with them!

Jo Jo
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.