Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
When we went to Samos in july we found that you paid no commision here in UK but you did when you went to change the Euro cheques at the exchanges or banks :cry:
We went to Lassi in June and took Euro Travellers cheques for the first time.

American Express say that you can use them as cash in restaurants,shops and other places,not in Lassi you can't.

The owners we spoke to either don't trust them or say that the banks charge them to much to bank them.

They can be cashed at the travel offices for the normal 2% fee.

The fact that they are commision free quite often means that you get a bad rate over here. The rate in Kef is normally much better so when you are spending over £1000 it is better to take Sterling Cheques.
We have found in the past that even with the commission charged to purchase them, the exchange rate in Greece makes it better to get sterling travelers cheques. M&S on-line only charges 1% commision on them at the moment.

To be honest on our last trip to Greece, as we were only going for a week, we didn't bother. Just got a few Euros from the Post Office, commission free, for the first day or so and took the rest in cash, which we split between us. We then changed that at the bank, where we got the best rates and just paid a fixed fee - cheapest as long as you are not changing small amounts at a time.
my advice open a basic bank account with the Nationwide, they will let you open a FLEX ACCOUNT basically a young persons account although anyone can open one with £1, your cash card can be used abroad with no charges then, they are the only ones to let you withdraw cash for free abroad. Find out where your going first but to be honest theres not many places now in Greece that dont have normal cash machines, the Alpha banks are always the best as you can view your balance just like at home
Bag,

Do you really need chqs? We've not used them in Europe for years. My advice is to take some Euros and then withdraw you cash from ATMs as and when you need it.
Like Sally we use our Nationwide card and it's free for withdrawals from your current account. If you are worried about keeping a track, all I do is work out how much spending money we have in our account (in Euros) and then keep a note of deductions so I know exactly how much we've spent.
Also you'll find that more and more places take debit card payments now (and again Nationwide don't charge for these)

Dawn
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.