Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
A group of us went on the bus from Calangute to Colva . 3 bus changes and it cost 27rs. Was going to stay in Colva for 3-4 days but hated the place and caught the buses back to Calangute .
I have done the local buses from Delhi to Dehradun . Everyone should get on the local buses and go further than Panjim or Mapsa. If you get lost its so cheap to get back to Goa.
Defo want to try the buses on my trip in 13 days!!! Does anyone know how much would you pay for the bus from by Kingfisher Villa, Candolim to:

Calangute
Baga
Panjim
Baga
Mapusa

:que
Just looked at a ticket from last season.
Panjim to -
Betim 5rps
Nerul 7rps
CandolimChurch 8rps
Candolim Temple 9rps (whoooo big increase there !)
Calangute Market / Beach 10.rps
Don't think you will be looking at any more than 20rps to go between the places you mention.
Had some great times on these bus trips - and a must for all, think you can head South (and return) via 3 bus changes for less than a taxi fare from Candolim to Calangute.
There is a bus that goes past Kingfisher village, but you would be better walking up to Candolim crossroads for more frequent ones.
Hi

We always use the bus - why wouldn't you when all the rickshaw and taxi drivers want to do rip you off. I think we paid 5 or 6rps from Candolim to Calangute in Feb this year. Panjim to Margao was 19rps and that was on a posh (for India) express bus. It is about the one time you pay the same price as the locals. Can't remember what it was to Mapusa from Candolim - probably 10 or 12rps.

If you have never done it before try it next time you go. All the money you save you can use to buy a beer or 3!

Cheers

Sian
As long as you know the correct fare in advance, and even more importantly have the EXACT ammount, you only pay the same as locals. It may be different if you ask the conductor the fare, or tender other than that, as change may not be given. The only snag with the buses is that by 9.00pmish they are off the road, then it's back to the robber taxi drivers Alan
this is an interesting thread and has got me thinking - we are going south to either Palolem or Agonda for a few days to the huts (haven't booked yet as not sure which place is the best) from Candolim, is this viable by bus and how long would journey take or shall we pay the rip-off taxi drivers? Would the journey be more scenic than by taxi?

Has anyone done this journey please? :) :cheers
I'm sure I read someone on here had done this, and made at least 3 bus changes and took around 3 or 4 hours ?
If was in Goa for more than my 2 week trip, I would do it - but not wanting to loose too much time would opt for the taxi.
a couple of years ago when we stayed at park avenue hotel in calangute, we caught the bus from outside our hotel to Baga beach. That was 4ruppees each, and i dont think i had to pay for my little boy.
I despise getting a taxi or tuk tuk, up until last year my hubby would not get on a bus, but then he realised how greedy the Candolim tuk tuk drivers were getting ( has any one noticed that it is cheaper to travel from Calangute to Candolim) the one we have used for years when he was asked for a price started to say, give me what you want, when asked what the normal price is, we didn't get any answer. This started to infuriate me, hubby said oh it is only pennies, that is not the point, when a bus doing the same journey is only 7 or 8 rps.

I have had some great fun on the buses, you see some sights with some of the luggage that people carry. They get so packed that you dont have to hold on, the pressure of the other people keeps you standing. But beware of the pick pockets. Keep your handbag or wallet safe.
hello everyone

i have had many many beautiful experiences on the bus.

first let me tell you why i started using buses. i had little money and i wanted to maximise my stay . i knew i just had to stay for a long time. i will stay simple but stay ! so i stated thinking of ways to save money and use it for accomodation. first was to eat at really cheap local goan restaurants and eat goan food. second i thought instead of taxis i wil hire a bike whenever i need one. so i went to some local bike shop and asked for a bike. and yippeee ! he asked for rs 1200 per day and asked for my licence too ! i hated it. he had such a dishonest tone of voice. i went back walking towards calangute and i asked a local man how to get from calangute the arambol the cheapest possible way. he said by bus !! thats how it all started.

now my experiences !

i was on a bus from calangute to panaji, there was a lady sitting in front of me who was wearing a beautiful earing. i admired the skill and the colurs that went in making the earing. when we got down at panjim i asked her if i could photograph her earing. she SMILED and agreed. i took the photo and when she saw it she was so happy. she couldn't believe her ear looked like that with her earning. she was so so happy...

i took a bus from mapusa to arambol. (it takes about 2 hrs ! to reach arambol) when i got it, the bus keeper asked me for rs12. and i gave me a 20rs note. he asked me to stand on one side. i thought he said it because he was trying to avoid giving me the change back. so i just went and stood. and i didn't even ask him for the change. the bus was crowded for a long time. and he and little by little the crowds started vanishing. and the bus was empty. very few people. i was looking at the beautiful villages i was passing by. and it was arambol. so i got down. while getting down the bus keeper gave me the change. i did not even ask him. ....he was so honet and in the crowded bus he remembered he has to return me the change. it was unbelieveable. i treated him and the driver for chai. they stopped the bus for 10 mins in the middle of the road to have chai !

i was very tired of crowded beaches adn those hawkers ! and just wanted a queite beach without people or hawkers ! ... a couple i met at the restaurant told me of some beaches in the south. so the next morning i tookd the bus from anjuna to mapusa then another bus from mapusa to margao and then the non stop bus from margao to panjim. and at margoa i asked some locals of a quite beach. they pointed at a bus and told me to get down at the last stop (i didn't knoe where i was going !) so i just said last stop and it was varca. it was nice, changing three buses and going thousgh some beautiful places. i saw lots of nice goan houses.

i managed to stay 32 extra days with all the money i saved on taxi !!

i have never been overcharged in a bus ! never. those bus keepers are so honest.

i have many more experiences.
:)
enjoy

OWT
That is a lovely story OWT :) , made me smile.
A new member with travelling experience - welcome. Love other peoples travel gossip, easy to pick up good info, so feel free to tell us all (makes good reading when the forum is quiet).
Spike.
mbc, whe we went to panjim by bus it cost us 7 rps from calangute.. and 7rps back,
got to say its an experiance,think we are going to try it again this time...
oneworldtraveller wrote:
so the next morning i tookd the bus from anjuna to mapusa then another bus from mapusa to margao and then the non stop bus from margao to panjim

sorry thats a mistake the bus route is

anjuna to mapusa

then mapusa to panjim (you can find some non stop buses too)

and panjim to margao (non stop)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.