Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Part VI
Misc stuff
Firstly I have remembered the name of the other staff who deserved special mention, in the dining hall there is Lisa - she is great and will really go out of her way to make your stay special - even to the extent of cooking me some chips one lunchtime when I commented about them never having them on in the dining hall at all"¦.thanks Lisa they were very nice. In the bars there is Kerry and Melonie, both really hard workers and very friendly with it"¦.thanks girls.
Now onto a few grumbles"¦the A la Carte dining"¦don't do it !! you will regret it..it was appalling"¦the Lobster was totally dry and tasteless..the rest of the 5 courses equally bad - bland and easily the worst meal I have ever had to pay for. The steak well considering it was supposed to be fillet was a disgrace..i would have been better eating my flip flop. Everyone we spoke to who had ate this meal agreed it was utterly rubbish..some even reckoned they had food poisoning from the lobster. It is not worth any extra - never mind the $30US they charge per person.
The gift shop - my god they think they are competing with Harrods! Only they are trying to get the upper edge by charging more! For example normal post cards - no stamps $2US each! Small tin of Pringles $5US..and don't even consider buying t shirts or bikinis there you will need a 2nd mortgage!..even a small bottle of water was $2US"¦you can get the same down the road at the local supermarket for $50JA. The massages again extortionate $50 US for an hour but a couple of people I spoke to said they only got 40 minutes as the woman was too busy chatting to her mates..
Entertainment
This was quite good for hotel standard..every night there was a show of some sort involving a local performer or the resident band which were actually quite good..though there repertoire is a bit limited so you have a lot of repeats during the two weeks. The daytime entertainment is the usual type of stuff, quizzes, volleyball bingo etc"¦we joined in a few quizzes during our stay..the entertainment crew work hard at it and don't hassle you if you don't want to join in - a simple no thanks suffices"¦One performer of note during our stay was a black woman singer by the name of Michelle Black - she was excellent"¦look out for her if she is on"¦.
I think that just about covers our trip - if there is anything else you want to know feel free to ask "¦..
Overall a very good holiday but I would not return to the hotel Club Ambiance as it doesn't quite do it for me..not enough luxuries and I did miss them"¦it's a bit rough round the edges but it is always lean and tidy"¦likewise Jamaica - I would not bother returning here as there are better places around the world in my opinion to holiday..But don't get me wrong the holiday was excellent"¦.just that it could have been even better "¦"¦
gazthomas, great, enjoyable read on your trip report ! I do wish more people would post a trip report on HT. I know there is the hotel and resort review option, but a trip report is more personal.
we are going to jamaica on the 24th may, starfish trelawny, and are so, so excited to go, reading your trip report just makes me look forward to our holiday even more !!
How was the weather ? sea temps ? mozzies ?
cheers,
juby
The weather was excellent during our stay - 15 days and we had rain on one afternoon for about 1 hour plus rain one moring for about 10 minutes..other than that the weather was hot and sunny...approx 34 deg C each day...sea temp was about 28 deg C at a guess..a warm feeling when you entered...didn't get bitten at all during our stay though we did use protection...saw a couple literally a couple of people with a few bites on the legs...you will enjoy it I have no doubt...we passed the starfish a couple of times whilst out and about - its not much to loo at from the road - looks like a 1970's benidorm high rise from the road, but we went inside the complex to collect people for the airport return and it looks very nice inside - massive sweeping wide reception area..all marble...looked very good...
gaz, you are soo right !! starfish does look like a 1950's pontins from the photo's !! The reason we chose it was the facilities for our 8yr old daughter, we looked at loads of AL hotels and this one was the best for us ( we don't mind basic and the price was great !) we thought she would love the trapeze, ice rink, climbing wall, waterslides, pool tables in the pool !
we are planning on doing dunns river, mystic mountain, luminous lagoon, dolphin cove, if you have anymore reccomendations, that would be great !!
so glad you had good weather, we are looking forward to a warm sea after years of the atlantic and med seas !!
thanks for your advice,
juby
really liked your great report Gaz, I loved Jamaica and hope to go back one day, fab island, fab people , thanks for sharing your experience :tup
very nice report gaz, we are going to CA at the end of the month and I am quite concerned with the last several reviews that I read on Tripadvisor.com. Somebody expresses an opinion that all the positive stuff about CA is exaggerated and probably the positive reviews are written by the manager or a hired for this purpose employee.As we are 2 families going there, we are worried that we might have become victims to an organized advertising compaign.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.