Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
oh you will spot us del! a fabulously dressed woman and him :rofl :rofl
To Gobofraggle - as far as I can recall they supplied 4 large towels and 2 smaller ones.

Next installment later tonight. Again thanks guys!
So washed and brushed we headed out. Not having a clue where to head and being very hungry we initially decided to walk left along the main road we only got about thirty yards when I spotted a British looking couple getting out of a tuk-tuk and heading into a door set back from the road which happened to be the Rising Wave, so we followed them in. The restaurant area was out the back and was very busy with Brits but we got a table and sat down for our first Indian meal in India. Now we both love our food and took a while going through the menu. I ordered Chilli Chicken Fry, not sure about Rebecca. We also had rice and roties. I washed mine down with a few large ice cold Kingfishers and Rebecca had a few Old Monks and cokes, she always drinks the local rum. The food was excellent, no other word for it, not large portions but just right. It was also (well we thought at the time) incredibly cheap. About a tenner all in with a decent tip. We were over the moon. Though little did we know that this was typical of Goan eateries - well the vast majority of the ones we eat in anyway.

After eating we went exploring and to see if we could find the beach, please don't ask how or why but we just couldn't find it. After a little exploring, dodging traffic and jumping over holes in the ‘pavement' we went into Newtons and purchased some supplies including ‘roach killer which remained unopened, a bottle of Old Monk for approx. £1.60, coke, water and other sundries. We then headed back and enjoyed a few rum and cokes on the balcony before turning in after a very long day!

Next morning we were up early and after breakfast decided to head down the beach for a couple of hours as we had our Thompson's rep meeting at 11. We managed to find it this time! We got there little after 9 and all the shacks seemed to be setting up. My first impression - gutted! There was litter and rubbish everywhere!! And I mean everywhere. Rebecca looked heart broken. All this way for this? To re-assure her and myself I kept saying the shack owners would surely clean this up. What we weren't to know is all the rubbish was debris left from a storm the previous night, apparently lots of shacks lost sunbeds - smashed by the waves. We walked for a while trying to ignore the flotsam and jetsam, then went back to the hotel. The reps briefing was the normal kind of thing. A few basic tips, soft sell on the trips you know the thing. We'd actually picked up a sheet detailing trips from Hems on the same block as Nortons the night before and un-surprisingly they were virtually identical to Thompsons just about a third or so cheaper. We ended up booking three trips through Hems and have to say we found them to be very reliable and professional and would definitely recommend them.

The afternoon was spent by the pool, where we also eat. Food was nothing special. The decided to head for the beach to watch the sunset. To my utter relief the garbage from the morning had been cleared away and we settled in Zappas (didn't get too far I know) to watch the sun go down, unfortunately I'd managed to sit with one foot over the entrance to an ants nest and by the time I noticed the were all over my foot, ankle and heading upward to my unmentionables, after my mini freak out and funny dance we changed tables and watched the sun go down - me with a Kingfisher and Rebecca with her rum and coke (or two).

Once it was dark we returned to the hotel, picking up water etc from a shop and relaxed before heading out for drinks and evening meal. This actually became our routine. Heading out about 8ish, few drinks, food, drinks and back for bed. But tonight was going to be the only night we saw rain, and it lashed down! We had drinks in Rising Waves - just cos we knew it had an indoor area then during a lull in the downpour we headed to Coyote off the beach road which had been recommended by the rep. I had the chicken Xacuti which wasn't my fav, Rebecca had a paneer dish which was stunning. Again with drinks and tip less than a tenner. The only thing of note which happened that night was a bull (probably a cow with horns) took exception to me drunkenly trying to have my picture taken with my arms around it. No harm done other than to my dignity. I had learned my lesson.
Brill. report Lee C keep it comimg :tup

The Preacher
great/ Lee love reading report,s not to long for us :sun2 :cheers
annx
Thanks for the reply re the towels in the room. Love the report so far, more please :)
Great reading about someones first trip.

Makes me remember ours.

Papa
Next day, Tuesday, we decided to have a Beach Day - my favourite kind of day! After breakfast headed there via the beach road. On our way there an Indian dude on a scooter heading in our direction screeched to a halt just in front of us and jumped off. He introduced himself as a rep for Kings Beer who were doing a promotion on the beach, then asking us how long we'd been in Goa (as if it wasn't obvious from our lily white skin), which hotel etc. Myself and Rebecca played along, exchanged knowing looks and waited for him to cut to the chase. It soon came. He produced a pocket full of scratch cards and handed one to me, it was my lucky day, I'd won a case of Kings, just get it from their promotion stand at the beach. Then it was Rebecca's turn and who would believe it (well we were actually expecting it but we weren't going to spoil his performance) we'd won a holiday to Dubai or free return flights to Goa from UK or an Ipad or lastly a portable DVD player. Fair play he put on an incredible celebration for us, shaking hands, shouting pretty bonkers actually and all we had to do was go in a taxi with him (to a destination unknown) and collect our once in a lifetime prize. Trying very hard to keep straight faces we politely declined his offer and carried on towards the beach, at this point I thought he was about to cry! We witnessed another similar performance from another guy a few days later. Can anyone help me with their fiddle? Do you end up at the end of a hard-sell timeshare presentation or do you disappear and your vital organs end up on ebay? Both guys had blue shirts with a ‘Royal' logo. As we were walking off Rebecca remarked "At least you've won a case of beer" - out of the mouths of babes eh!

Down at the entrance to the beach we encountered the guys from the Monkey Shack offering to find us sunbeds, we declined, walked to the water turned left and headed down the beach before eventually deciding upon a shack. I don't know which one it was but was near to Stringfellows. Now this may sound like sacrilege to some but we found most of the shacks to be much-a-muchness. Now I don't mean that in a bad way, quite the opposite in fact. They all offered very efficient, friendly and polite service, cold drinks and great food. So this became the norm for our beach days. Choose a different shack (usually down by Stringfellows), beer, rum or soft drinks all day, gorgeous food for lunch - usually a curry and a bread each or something from the tandoor. Basically just chilling soaking up the sun, people watching, reading or listening to the Ipod with regular dips in the sea to cool off. I was literally as happy as a sand-boy!

When were first arrived the sea was very rough but during the holiday it became less so, even then though the waves were big enough to knock me off my feet at times. Now if you've not been to Goa it's not the crystal clear like in the Caribbean, not sure why, perhaps it's the rough waves churning up sand or perhaps the numerous rivers dumping silt and who knows what else into it.

After a hard day on the beach we headed home. Quick shower etc. and we were back out few drinks and eat in the place opposite Inferno, can't remember the name but again good food at a reasonable price.

Wednesday we decided to go to the Flea Market in Anjuna. The hotel booked the taxi - 450 Rupees one way with a/c - took about 30-40 mins to get there. Nice to see a bit of the country-side on the way especially the water buffalo. Now the Flea Market unfortunately wasn't much to write home about, lots of stalls selling very similar stuff lots of which could be bought in the resort or off the beach hawkers. Also it was very very hot, Rebecca really struggled, at one point I actually feared for her. We had to take shade, shelter and cold drinks more than once before I decided to cut our loses and find the beach. After a cooling stroll along the water's edge we ended up in a shack built half on stilts out into the sea (no idea what it was called). Decent house music playing, cold Kingfishers for me and strawberry lassis for Rebecca - didn't think rum would've been a good idea. Again the food was excellent. We chilled until most of the heat had gone out of the day and taxi'd it back to Candolim. We had toyed with the idea of taking a boat back but the waves were big, the boats were small and Rebecca despite her denials still looked a bit iffy. Anjuna, minus the market, looked like a really nice place to spend some time and I made a mental note to come back but unfortunately we didn't get ‘round to it. Total purchases from Anjuna Flea Market - two fridge magnets and two gorgeous veg samosas!

In the evening I think we eat at Inferno (I know we went there once). Very busy (unlike most other places) and the food was delicious.
Come on Lee, we are waiting for the next instalment!!!! :)
inferno is always busy, don't know why as i don't especially rate the food as brilliant.
We prefer coco 21, next door but two.
yes the men in blue shirts are from the royal goan near mackies market and are the dreaded time share
del,

Agree regarding inferno but we always visit at least once each trip.

It has sort of become a Goan institution despite not being the best food.

Never seen a place so busy night after night.

I understand the owner is quite well off now,

Funny how places can just take off.

I know after speaking to many restaurant owners they all want to copy that model (Over the Flames) for one with nowhere near its success.

Papa
Really love reading this Lee its good to see you like Goa ...cant wait to you write up some more makes me think im right there with you :cheers :sun2 Colleen
irishcolleen wrote:
cant wait to you write up some more makes me think im right there with you :cheers :sun2 Colleen

You both soon will be, and so will we. :bow
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.