Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.

these trip reports take a lot out of you

best to unwind with a honeybee then- or failing that, a bacardi breezer :lol:
Fiona are you a physic in your spare time :lol: . Ive just taken a bottle of Honeybee from the case, and you'll never guess what crossed my mind :glynis
:hyper :hyper :hyper Brill Gemma I cant wait for you to do part 2...I hope there will be part 3..4..5...6.....I love reading trip reports it brings it all back to ya .........
Nice one Gemma I had every faith in you taking all those notes :wink:
And I'm sure there is a lot more to come :lol: plus of course all the pics that you will upload :hyper :hyper .

Alan
I will do a wee bit more tonight, but I am sooooo tired (still in Goan time no doubt).
We arrived at the Marinha Dourada and got checked into a really nice room overlooking the pool and the lake. Did the unpacking, had a quick shower and got our taxi driver to come back for us at 11am and we headed down to the Oceanic Beach Shack. It would be great to see everyone again. However, when we got there it was slightly disappointing. Some of the staff were not working at the beach shack. The Oceanic is owned by two brothers and I believe they have gone their separate ways, and one of the brothers has opened up a different beach shack two along from the Oceanic its called St Anthonys and a couple of the boys are working in there now, including Johnny one of our good friends. However, still great to see everyone else at the Oceanic and wee popped along to see the folk at St Anthonys as well.
Sitting in St Anthonys having a drink and I was approached by another HTer. He says to me "Are you Gemma 33" ( I think he had heard my accent) it was Dribyar, he was also staying at the MD and used the Oceanic shack as well. So we had a chat so I had met my first Hter already!
In the evening we went along to see our friend Rovin at Sendra's in Calangute. Rovin used to work in the Oceanic as well, but now has his own restaurant. He is such a nice sincere person and it was lovely to see him again. We had a lovely meal in there, he gave us all sorts of starters to try out, for the main course we had some chicken tikka masala with rice and naan bread and both soft and alcoholic drinks and the bill came to 695 rupees, really great value for money.
Time to go back to the hotel, both very tired as no sleep the previous night. Will type more tomorrow.
Hiya gemma33. Is jay still at the oceanic ?
sleep_r_us
Hi Sleep he is back at the Oceanic now (he came on the tuesday our second day) but he wasnt there when we were there in November. Will mention Jay in the next bit of the report. hes such a nice person, isnt he.
Really enjoying your report Gemma, were the 3 young lads Sham, Chris and young Raj still at the Oceanic?
Hope you enjoyed your trip and I hope you catch up on your sleep soon , love shirleyV XX
Hi Shirley. well I am up very early today, still on Goan time obviously!!! :oops:
Sam is still at the Oceanic, as is Raju but he is sick at the moment and at home with his mum, but he hopes to be returning really soon. Really missed him cos he normally always looks after us when we are lying at the beach. I'm not sure who Chris is tho?
Hi Gemma, Enjoying the report. Know what you mean about Easyjet. We had the same trouble trying to get extra luggage allowance to fly from Belfast to Gatwick. They just wouldn't do it.
Keep going. We're waiting for the next installment.
Gail
Thank you gemma33 we get on really well with Jay he makes us feel so welcome and always stops for a chat,is it true he got married last year has we did'nt go to goa last year ?
Yes your right he is a great guy we have loads of photo's with him on i always take them back with me to show him he's so easy to please.
:glynis :fly Sleep_r_us.
Yes Sleep, Jay is married and is wife due their first baby on 27 April. He is so chuffed and very very happy. When are you going to Goa?
Tuesday 6 February - Feeling much better today after a good nights sleep. Most days we dont do anything too exciting. We mostly go to the Oceanic and chill out there for most of the day. One of our friends at the shack, Jay, wasnt there in November as he was working on the Shangrlia trips, but the Oceanic no longer carry out the trips so Jay was back working at the shack. We knew he had got married the previous April cos he invited us to the wedding, but he had more good news, his wife was expecting their 1st baby on 27 April. So will need to go back with lots of baby stuff in April! We had taken over some gifts for some of the guys at the Oceanic, small Mp3 players (very cheap in Asda), Scotland caps and an adidas t-shirt for Jay and a cheap camera phone from EBay They are all so grateful.
We still hadnt tried breakfast at the hotel so ate at the shack. I remembered the eggs at the MD from the previous February and the thought is enough to put you off!!
During the day we went for a walk and popped into a small shop (near Brittos). The shop also had internet access so we could log. 30 rupees for 45 minutes is good value I think. At the same shop we also bought some Odomos cream to keep the mossies at bay cos we had a few bites on our first day - only 16 rupees for a small tube. I also bought some factor 12 sun tan lotion for only 135 rupees. I was a bit wary about using the sun lotion cos ive heard stories of folk getting sunburned, but it was brill.
The bus from the MD drops folk at the box bridge now and you need to walk over the footpath and thru all that lovely red dirt and sand :roll: not nice. The demolition of the bridge only looks about half done. It is so noisy as well. Will post photos in a few days of the bridge and the work being done.
In the evening we went to Bernard's Place for a meal, In all our visits to Goa I had never eaten there before but it was lovely, we both had starters and I had gorgeous chicken xacutti with rice and nan and Mr G had a steak, we both had alchoholic and soft drinks for 930 rupees. Back to the hotel for a few drinks then off to bed.

Wednesday 6 Feb - For some reason I was really tired this morning so had a lie in. Thats the great thing about being on holiday you can get up early or lie in bed all day if you choose.
Jumped on the freebie bus from the hotel down to the Oceanic for another day lazing about in the glorious sunshine - heaven!
Tonight we were going to Lazy Days for the meet so we wanted somewhere near hand for a meal so decided on O'Pescador. Had been there before and it was really nice, and of course its within walking distance of Lazy Days. Another super meal with drinks and all for 600 rupees, its so cheap!
Went into Lazy Days about 9ish and there were loads of HTers there. the most ive ever seen at a meet! Samtheboater, Chilly, Goangirl, KJF, Dogfish, Poipleshadow, Gooner Fan along with the HTers friends and partners - 15 in total. It was good to meet more people who come on the forum and be able to put faces to all the names I see on the site. Gooner fan told me I was much quieter in person than I am in the forum :yikes and heres me thinking I am quiet all the time :lol:
Gemma33 we go on the 8/3 glad you said about jay's forth coming event will take out some baby clothes.
Hi Gemma ,your report is great as you mention all the places we know, as for Raj being ill, you do mean little Raj aged 10 don't you?
I think he is great, we bought him some t shirts and shorts from the shops in Baga and took him to choose his own, he is a great lad, do hope he is better soon.

As for Chris he is 14 and is new this season, he is from Karnataka,he is a bigger build than Sham and he is lovely, I do miss them all at the Oceanic, anyway thanks for this report it brings back many memories, love shirleyv xx :D
Gemma your report is great! Many thanks for the instalments.

If you haven't already done so, can you add your review for the hotel HERE - please ;)
Kath HT Admin
Thursday 8 Feb - Got up this morning and decided it was time to send some of our clothes to the hotel laundry. Its so cheap to have your clothing washed and ironed over here. Ive heard stories about folks clothes coming back coloured pink and grey etc, but we've never had any problems. Started filling in the form and couldnt believe the hike in prices. Since last February some the laundry prices had trebled and quadrupled eg. to have a pair of Gents trousers dry cleaned it was 120 rupees, last year it was about 60 rupees. A ladies dress was 250 rupees and that included dresses for the beach and casual dresses. Anyway I sent to clothes away for washing and ironing, but I thought no way - not again :no took a mental note to log onto the forum and search for a decent laundry in the Baga area.
We left the hotel and went down to the Oceanic for our normal day lazing in the :sun doing absolutely nothing. After a couple of hours lying about we decided to go for a walk so we walked right along to Calangute beach. It was great to see all the beach shacks, especially lots of the names that folks have mentioned in the fourm, we returned to Baga beach absolutely exhausted and stopped off at St Anthonys shack to see our friends in there and have a nice lunch, before returning to soak up the sun lying at the Oceanic again.
Tonight we decided to try Lazy Days for a meal cos we've heard good reports and wanted to see for ourselves. Two starters and two chicken dishes with drinks and it cost 740 rupees. Mind you I think we gave half the chicken to the baby stray kittens wandering about. By the time we were finished feeding them our chicken they had nearly doubled in size :P
Left Lazy Days and walked along to KCs Scottish Bar to try it out (never been there before). It was very busy and a good atmosphere. Not a Scottish person in sight tho :lol: :lol: :lol: English voices and Man U tops!!!! Thought it might be expensive as it was a kinda theme pub but it was 50 rupees for the normal large honeybee and 30 rupees each for the diet cokes, so quite good prices.

Friday 9 Feb - Today we were going to visit a friend who now works in a shack at Arambul beach. We had been to visit Lucky last year and he told us he would probably be there this year. Lucky used to work at the Shining Star next door to the Oceanic (dont know if anyone on here remembers him). We got the taxi up to Arambul. If you get out the taxi at the main strip of shops (as far as the taxis can go before the street becomes too narrow) then you arrive at the beach, you then take a right and walk as far as you can go, maybe a good 20 mins walk or perhaps more. We arrived at where the shack had been last year but it had been replaced by shops :cry: We spoke to a guy on the beach at one of the shacks and he said Lucky was still here, just working in a different shack, but unfortunately he had gone home as his wife was due their 2nd baby. As we had come this far we decided to spend the day at Arambul. We had some breakfast at the Dolphins View beach shack and spent the day there NEVER AGAIN ive never been pestered by so many :swear beach sellers in my entire life and they would not take no for an answer grrrr.
At tea time we headed back up to Baga. Bit of relaxation time in the room and a couple of wee honey bee brandies whilst getting ready to go out (ahhhh this is the life). Tonight we went to Brittos for something to each. They had gorgeous home made chicken soup with big chunks of chicken in it, absolutely delicious, we had a steak and a prawn dish, again with the usual drinks and it cost 605 rupees, great value. After our meal we walked along the beach to the Kareoke night at the Oceanic. Luckily for everyone we didnt sing or the beach would have cleared from Baga right along to Fort Aguada :lol:
It's funny how these Honey Bees are always "Wee" :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.