Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
When in Tsilivi 2 years ago we went to 'Menir's restaurant' several times, very nice. It seemed quite popular & can get quite busy, so don't expect 'instant service' (the Greeks don't believe in rushing anyway).
I'ts located down the road to the beach past the Hotel Contesina.
Must also tell you if your up for a laugh you must go to the Two Brothers Bar for a drink (you'll find it !!).
Enjoy your Hols.
David.
Thank-you David h. for your reply. I have started a list of restaurants to visit and your suggestion Menir`s is at the top of the list. Also, i have heard of The Two Brothers and will certainly be popping in for a swift shandy [or two]. :cheers
It's been 10 years since I was last at Tsilivi so I will not recognise the place any more. We used to go every year and 10 years ago was our 5th or 6th visit. We made that one our last as we wanted to see other places but also the restaurants were beginning to change big time with less Greek restaurants and more English ones. It would be nice to hear there are still a load of good Greek restaurants there so I'll be watching this thread with interest :)
Hello there are a lot of good restaurants in Tsilivi

One of my fav is Zeus just along the road from two brothers bar

Giogios is a newish one and is good as well

Limanaki is a fish resturant down at the harbour and the fish is hmm good ;)

Nemesis is good as well

To be honest look around there a lot of restaurants and I have yet to have a bad meal in Tsilivi and this year will be my 4th visit back :cheers :tup
Thanks hazm09 for your feed back, they all sound great, especially Zeus. It sounds like we could fall out of Zeus and straight into The Two Brothers. Do you know where Giogios is situated it would be nice to try a new place in town.
Thanks again, Graylegs. :wave
We're going to Tsilivi later this month for the first since in 7 years (before you go, I think, Graylegs) so we're looking for recommendations for good places to eat too.
Zeus does sound good & I've read some good reports for Sweet Revenge, not sure if they just do sweet-type stuff though and I'm not sure where it is as I can't find it on the map of restautants that I have.

We hope to have mainly traditional Greek food too, I'm planning on overloading on fabulously tender lamb.
We went in September 2001 and some of the restaurants (Popeye's especially) were so busy that people were queuing for tables - not my idea of a relaxing holiday :sun2 .
I hope it won't be so busy earlier in the season.

I'll do a hotel review and name the places we ate at when we get home.
here is a link to a map for Tsilivi

http://www.freewebs.com/xmetal88/tsilivi.jpg

looking at the map you will see two brothers along from that is the ark and in between that is Zeus, Giogios if I remember right is just across the road from Zeus.

Enjoy :cheers
Thanks hazm09, this is one of the maps I've got.

It's actualy Sweet Revenge that I can't find on any map, though.
my favourite restaurant was fat olives, all food is cooked fresh so it takes time but its worth it
:) Just got back from Tsilivi on Friday and hadn't been for nine years so it had changed a bit but still lovely. We found Obelix restaurant which is opposite the Red Lion to be really good and a family run restaurant with traditional Greek food. George and Nikos very friendly and all food freshly cooked - the Moussaka and chicken stamnas were my favourites. Other good places to eat were the Athena and their Zakynthian lamb was superb. Benikos and Koukas also good. Level bar had good entertainment on Sundays two singers called the Martins who did a lot of sixties and seventies music. Have a good holiday.
Thanks for that, folks.

I've been on another website looking at recommended restaurants and already had Fat Olives, Obelix and Benikos (as well as Fiorentino which is run by friends - last season for them though) down as places to eat.

It's almost 7 years since we last went so it's good to hear that you still enjoyed it, Pinocchio.
Hi there,

I don't usually use these forums but just wanted to let you know that my friend and I (in our thirties) got back from Tsilivi last week and had a fabulous time. Neither of us had ever been to Greece or a Greek Island before and we absolutely loved it. As for the food can honestly say that we didn't have a bad meal, everything was so lovely! I myself am a vegetarian and never before has the choice been so good, they all cater very well with much larger sections of at least 5 or more options which is so much better than here. We ate in a different restaurant each night and went back to our favourite of those on the last night - which was Zues and I see this has already been mentioned so just wanted to reinforce this as a good choose.

The staff at Zues are so lovely and attentive, Spiros, Georg are Greek but with there use of English phases they make you laugh and you wonder if they are really English and the 2 English lads they have there Chris and Tom are great guys and work so hard! If you do go there please say hello from Dawn and Samantha (the Essex Girls) - Happy Days!

Have a great time!
Dawn
Dawn..

welcome to the Greek forums of HT... now you have joined i hope you continue to be an active member :D

Yasusu

wizard
We went to tsilivi last year, the red lion pub was really good for food, they did great sunday lunchs, fillet steak, lamb kleftico & the beef stiffado was exceptionally nice too among lots of other choices!! There was also a nice restaurant on the corner opposite the mediteranee hotel. Hope you have a great time!!
Just returned fromTsilivi and here is our view of the restaurants we used:

Fiorentino - in the centre of Tsilivi next to the Joker bar, run by Frank and Roxani for the last 13 seasons, although this year is their last. Roxani still does all the cooking, it's our favourite restaurant. We tried moussaka, stamna, lamb in the oven, stifado, kleftico, meatballs in a to-die-for tomato sauce which you can have as a starter or main course, swordfish steak in tomato sauce which was so big that the Greek potatoes came on a separate plate, lamb pougi which is tender lamb, tomatoes and lots of other stuff in a filo pastry case. I don't think I've seen this on any other menu. They do PROPER chips, and as much as I love greek potatoes I just HAVE to have to have these. The fried courgettes and aubergines which are in a very light batter and come with a little tzatziki are delicious.

Menir - at the Planos end, just past Alamis apartments, nice view of the sea. We ate lunch here most days, the food was excellent. We tried lots of traditional greek dishes including moussaka, pasticcio, kleftico, soutzoukakia, stifado. A litre of house white wine was only €4 here.

Benikos - we ate here once. The village sausage starter which came with sauted potatoes and a dip and the lamb stifado & beef stifado were lovely. We also had fried courgettes as a starter which were very disappointing, there were about 6 very thin slices (like potato peelings) and they were bitter. Strangely, they were more expensive than the village sausage.

Dionysos - this is the one on the main road between Planos and Tsilivi centre (there's another one with the same name behind Alamis apartments). The kleftico was good in here.

Zeus - on the main road between Planos and Tsilivi centre. The food was very good (village sausage starter, swordfish and briam) but even though we ate quite late in the evening, we found the waiters a bit manic. They seemed to run around yelling ‘Happy Days', ‘Luvvly Jubbly' and ‘Yamas' and clapping their hands sometimes in your ear, which is not conducive to a quiet, relaxing dinner. I can see how families and kids love the atmosphere though, it just wasn't our 'cup of tea'.

Greek Obelix - we were quite disappointed with our meal here. The Zakinthian lamb was just a lump of meat (albeit tender) with a bit of a thin sauce over and greek potatoes. Hubby had bekri meze which was supposed to be a mixture of pork and chicken in a spicy sauce but he said it seemed as though they'd not really got any prepared and just ‘cobbled it together'. The green peppers were raw, the onions were almost raw and the spices and herbs hadn't been cooked through into the dish.

Majestic - I had a nice Moussaka in here, but the spaghetti puttanesca was ordinary.

We did mean to go back to Benikos and Dionysos again but we had such lovely food in Fiorentino that we decided to stick with a winning formula.

I think bubble123 might mean Maina restaurant, which is opposite the Mediteranee hotel on the corner as you go down to Alamis apartments.
Just returned from a wonderful week and thought the food was amazing everywhere we went, so impressed.
Best meals were Calypso and Romio's and really good in Zeus - if the fellas are a bit OTT and The Olive Tree (seafood poor but meat dishes lovely).
For breakfasts/lunches we ate at the beach bar by the Filoxenia Beach Apts and Kaliva (first one off beach) and they were super. The Beach bar for the Alexandra Beach was poor enough, disgusting breakfast and very slow service.
Loved the bread and potato dishes, which are normally not great abroad!
Cant wait to go back!!
Tsilivi would be ok, if the beach was as good as the restaurants.
I guess it just depends on your priorities.

I'd much rather have a place where you can get fab food (and no, I'm not obese) I just like to sample decent local style food in pleasant surroundings.
I guess some people like to party all night, sleep all day and grab a takeway pizza or giros before setting off for more partying.
Other people with small children like a good beach with safe bathing.
Although I do like a good beach, that is a secondary consideration to me.

Almost all the food we had in Tsilvi was the best we've had anywhere in Greece.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.