Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Turkey - Flu
24 Posts
Apparently they were doing this when we went in August but I didn't notice anything. We were asked to fill in a swine flu questionnaire on the plane though. If you are feeling a bit unwell the day you travel, then just take a couple of paracetamol or ibuprofen while you are on the plane so that your temperature isn't high just in case. Obvioulsy if you are very sick and think you have swine flu you will have to speak to your doctor but I'm sure that is not likely.

Hope you feel better soon!

Kedi
Thanks for your quick reply, I'm sure it's not Swine Flu, but if i feel the same when I go on Friday (flying to Bodrum) i'll take some tablets on the plane..

Thanks again.
Just got back this morning & they are still asking you to fill the form in and go through a temperature scanner.
cwilmore, I've had the dreaded Swine Flu and was laid up for over a week with it :( Because the Tamiflu made me violently sick I had to stop taking it but was advised that I had to get my temperature down asap. The doctor advised 2 x ibuprofen tablets, then 2 hours later 2 x paracetomol and so on for the day to a max of 4 times. This absolutely worked a treat and my temp came down pretty rapidly on day 2 of this course of action.

A couple of friends tried this when they were feeling poorly and it also worked :tup
hi
theres another bug going round similar to swine flu, sore limbs tiredness , and high temp
hubby thought it was swine flu and so did nhs helpline but advised against tamiflu too many side effects
the tablets mentioned before do work a treat
I flew turkey on 18th september and i can report they are still scanning there is a table with thermal imaging cameras you walk past.There are about 4 people sitting at the desk some in white coats but its nothing to be alarmed about.
We were scanned back in August at Dalaman airport and I was feeling a bit unwell, but nothing was picked up, and a couple of days later I was fine.
I don't think that the camera will pick up on people who are just feeling a bit under the weather, you would have to be running a pretty high temperature for it to be picked up, because most people's temperature fluctuates from time to time and this can be down to any number of things.
We are probably talking a 'fever' rather than just general discomfort.
And if you have a fever you probably wouldn't even want to travel anyway.
Cheers for your reply's guys, feeling a little better now to be honest. Just abit weary too weather to have a drink at the airport before we fly, considering we fly on a friday night. This might send my body temp up, or should it be okay?
We managed a 'few' pints at the airport and were fine !
The scanner at Bodrum basically focussed on the queue for Visas which they had funneled into one area where the camera was. You would only stand out from the crowd if your temp was a lot higher than those around you - if it's been a 'hot' flight then everybody will show up hotter.

John
You will only be stopped at the Thermal imaging cameras if your core temperature is raised.
Even women who are having hot flushes will not be stopped. :rofl
Cheers people, can't wait now. 2 days to go!! ;)
The temperature screening when entering Turkey is nothing to worry about. You simply walk through the passport control area as normal and might not even notice the camera(s) reading body temperatures. If you don't have a temperature, there's nothing to worry about.

Darren
"If you don't have a temperature, there's nothing to worry about". There is, if you don't have a temperature you're DEAD!! ;)

Don't ask for trouble by boozing at the airport before you leave or on board, loads of time for that AFTER you've got into the country. They still had a scanner when we got there on 16th.

Drink PLENTY of water from now right up until you take off, and continue on board. Take 2 paracetamol 5 hours before you take off and 2 more about 30 mins before you land.

Tamiflu doesn't get your temperature down, paracetamol does. Tamiflu is only intended to stop the virus spreading through your body.
Gary&MarksMum,

I think that may be a little over the top. It's your core body temperature they're interested in. As long as that's in the normal range of ~37 celsius, you're fine and the screening nothing to worry about. If it's out of the normal range, you'd know about it generally. The use of medication should only be done in consultation with medical professionals.

Darren
Don't ask for trouble by boozing at the airport before you leave or on board

But if EVERBODY had a few drinks then we would all look the same on the scanner ;)

John :cheers
"The use of medication should only be done in consultation with medical professionals".

Goodness Darren, surely you don't consult a medical professional every time you take paracetamol?

Perhaps I should clarify my post for you, if someone's temperature is raised Tamiflu won't bring it down, that is not it's purpose (& it isn't available over-the-counter, so no suggestion that people go and get some without medical advice). Therefore, if you have a raised temperature take paracetamol to help reduce it. If you are feeling slightly 'under the weather' don't make matters worse by being unable to resist a few beers in the departure lounge.

Afraid I didn't think anyone would be daft enough to interpret what I said to mean every passenger about to fly to Turkey ought to take paracetamol!!! :que
Then again there is the idea that you should not be thinking of going to Turkey if you think you may have the flu. :que
That is only if you think you may have swin flu. The original poster was just feeling a bit unwell. Anyway I guess she is there now anyway and hopefully feeling better.
Just back yesterday.

Only the people with flight only had to fill in a form on our plane (Monarch Flight).

I didnt even notice the scanner when we went through airport, but hubby said he did.

Lynn
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.