General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
unusual momentos
13 Posts
Hello Helen. I've got a beach rock from Zante's Smugglers Cove as well. Although I do not consider it to be an unusual momemto. I always try to bring something back from the beach from which ever country I have been to. Been doing that now since I was a child. But you have to be very careful though, as in some countries it is a serious offence to remove anything from the beach area. Take the UK for example, anything on the beach including pebbles and beach rocks etc belong to HM The Queen, and technically speaking if you remove just one pebble from the beach you will have commited a crime....but I don't think the Queen really minds that much, its just one of the UK's many very silly antiquated laws.

I normally bring back Beer Mats from Hotels, Bars and Cafes because they are very light and can be packed very easily and they often include the name of the Hotel with the Resort and I put them in frames back home in a form of a montage.
when on holiday in norway, we went to a pub called noahs ark, and they had really funky beer glasses, so we asked for one to take home and they let us!!
the best momento I ever brought back from a holiday was a 'bun in the oven' :shock:
Hub and I conceived our youngest child on holiday one year!!!
Hi Maryjl! That must be one of the most expensive momentos ever!
Why couldn't you settle for a straw donkey like everyone else ? :rofl
I brought back an elephant's hair off his tail from Ko samui - supposed to be good luck.
Probably the worst momento of a holiday was me returning from Madeira in November 2004 with my leg in plaster having broken my ankle. I will certainly remember that holiday for all the wrong reasons!

Pippa
worst momento has to be the chest infection i fetched back from Lanzarote in Dec 2004 ( i was ill for a month, including all christmas and new year) and the best is probably just all the memories of the great times and experiences us and the kids have had on various holidays. That is worth far more to me than any material posession i could have.
Hi all

Can't say that we have ever really brought back unusual momentos just the norm really, Large Conch shell off the beach in Jamaica, Banana Plants that you can buy at the airport in Tenerife, unusual pebbles etc, but an amusing one my husband brought back from one of his ski trips was like a small flag which you sit on the side of your glass/bottle when in a bar and you have to visit the loo so that the bar staff know you have not finished with your drink. It has a cartoony picture of little boy having a wee and underneath it says "Gone for Pee Pee".

Jackie
hi all

we once brought a lizard back with us without knowing of course it showed up in the bathroom one day when my mam was on the toilet the whole world heard her scream with fright. it was only a baby bless it we named it lizzy. very original eh!! we've had pet lizards ever since something i never thought i would say but they are great fun to watch and feed.

lindsay.
we once brought a lizard back with us without knowing of course

How on earth did you manage to do that? I'm surprised it ws not picked up at Security Control. Was it in your Hand Luggage, or Hold Luggage?
it must have been in our case and we hadn't realised we did notice a baby lizard in our apartment but never thought anything about it untill it appeared in our bathroom. my sister had woken up screaming during the night and said there was a big spider on her hand she felt it running on her skin but my dad couldn't find anything at all so i think it was there for a while. we rang all over the place rspca and others but no one was interested so thats why we kept it.

lindsay.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.