General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Holiday momentos
37 Posts
Rather naughty of me, sometimes bath towels from the hotel
Hi Helen,

We have started bringing back a mug and a fridge magnet, my husband likes to keep all momentos from luggage tags to beer mats! :D
joeseptuk - I still have one with Ladbrokes written on it from about 15 years ago. :oops: It's used regularly to dry the dogs :lol:
We always bring back a fridge magnet from places we visit, including the UK.
Snap! We have a few fridge magnets. It started in San Fransisco when we went on a wine tasting trip as we stopped in the black bear diner for breakfast on the way. They had lovely bear ones - I just couldn't resist!
As well as our bear we now have a Gaudi lizard from Parc Guell in Barcelona, a turtle from Kefalonia, a panda from China and an apple from New York.
I always keep a postcard
I like to bring back something unusual that you couldn't find in the UK. From Mexico last year we bought one of the woven wall hangings and also a picture in typical mayan style drawn in ink on leather.

The children like the usual touristy bits- my daughter has a baseball bat from Menorca that she keeps under her pillow!! Don't ask me why, but I wouldn't want to scare her in the night :!:

Pam :D
I'd never dare bring back a hotel towel !, but I have got a collection of the Do not disturb/ Make up room signs, and Hotel/ Restaurant matches, from around the world
nail clippers i dont know why we just seem to have them from all the places we have visited
Mine is Keyring's not bothered if I buy nothing else as long as I get a Keyring.
Mine was a baby from my last Benidorm trip in 2002!! We're going there again tomorrow - Hubbie says don't go getting any ideas!! :shock:
I always have to have a fridge magnet! I used to buy ahtrays, but I don't smoke, so they end up being "loose change trays" instead, and I now have too many of them and won't be buying any more.
I try to find a tea towel with a picture of the island/resort etc printed on it and I get one for my mum too. I also look for calendars (preferably next year's) but these aren't always available, but they do have some lovely photos when you can get them.
My favourite memento is lots of my own photographs - so much more personal than any manufactured bit of junk, and you can look at your own photos many years later and all the memories come back :D
My favourite memento is lots of my own photographs - so much more personal than any manufactured bit of junk, and you can look at your own photos many years later and all the memories come back

Me too :wink: I take 100s of photos on holiday! I look at them over and over again on the pc.

Pippy :D
Hi. I'm also a photograph fanatic. They're great to look back on and recall the various memories. I also like to bring a bottle or two e.g Ouzo or Metaxa from Greece, Raki from Turkey etc. Have given up on nick nacks- they clutter the house too much.
Like you Fitzmum our best ever souvenir was from Ibiza- stopped short of giving it to her as a middle name though :!: Mind you Emily Ibiza has quite a good ring to it :lol:

A sun tan that always lasts to the next holiday is nice. :lol:

Pam, what would you think of Halkidiki for a middle name?

:?
We always bring back a fridge magnet. My daughter collects snowglobes so we try to get one for her collection (tacky I know but it keeps her happy). My mum collects keyrings so we always try and get her one thats a little bit differant. Oh and lots and lots of photographs to keep the memories alive.
My favourite memento is lots of my own photographs - so much more personal than any manufactured bit of junk

That is so true. Our last trip to Goa for two weeks in Feb/March this year I took 693 photos :!: Had to go through them to get them down to a reasonable amount for printing, still ended up with 507 to be printed :!: Always nice to look back at them and take me back to Goa.
Parky- Halkidiki would certainly stand out in a crowd. Imagine having to spell that out, when giving details. Celebs went through a phase of calling their kids after the place of conception didn't they?- it's bit of a standing joke with us, although the kids are too young to get it. We'll make her cringe with what could have been when she's older :!:

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.