General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
From what I understand, if you've paid part of your holiday with CC, then you are covered for the whole amount regardless of how you pay the balance. You have to have paid a minimum of £100 though. This is only my uderstanding of it and I'm sure you'll have more advice from more knowledgeable members ;)
Thanks Shirley. The deposit was £300 so I may be covered.
Yes, if you've paid at least £100 you are covered........ :tup Linda.
Thanks Linda. £50 seems a ridiculous amount to have to pay to use my CC.
Yes we always pay the deposit on a CC and the balance with a debit card.
We have a Thomas Cool credit card if you use it to book a holiday through therm they dont charge a fee also you get travel pounds on all purchases we buy everything on it usually get about £300 each year off a holiday :)
I'll second the Thomascook credit card.
No booking fee on holidays in store or online, 2% back in TC travel £'s on thomascook purchases, 1% on everything else. You can also now buy currency or travellers chqs and it's treated as a purchase not a cash advance. (2% cash back!)
I just make sure i pay it in full each month so i don't pay interest and as I use it for everything, (food shop, petrol, bills, council tax etc) I usually earn between £200-£300 a year in travel pounds :cheers

and they do accept it on Direct Holidays but you need to either ring up or book via TC main site rather than DH site.
I've just been to pay the balance of my holiday and using my normal credit card would have sost me nearly £50, so I too opted to get the thomas cook credit card, no fee, plus I have already got £44 credit on it ! fab !
Can someone help me to make sure I have 'got' this right :rofl

I have booked with Direct Hols, but paid my deposit £242 by debit card (as I had the £ in my account). Should I now pay some of my balance, even just £100 by credit card, to get the protection through my CC provider? (is it £100 or over £100, ie £101?)

I thought it would have been ok being ABTA and ATOL but not by reading some posts.

Is the CC fee about 2.5% normally?

See i'm very confused :duh

:cheers
You only have to pay £100 by credit card for the card company to be liable for the full amount up to £30,000, but you must pay the supplier direct and not through a third party. You should be OK paying Direct Holidays direct.

The claim is not limited to the amount of the credit card transaction. Customers can claim for all losses caused by the breach of contract or misrepresentation. And this applies even if all they paid by credit card was the deposit.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/31/creditcards-31.htm

luci :wave
Thank you Luci, I will pay some more tomorrow on the CC just to be on the safe side. You can't be too careful especially at the moment.

:tup
JaimeC

I have just checked on the direct holidays website and looks like they only make a cc charge of £4.95 or £2.95 depending on when you are travelling which was good news for me as I was expecting to have to pay £90 extra on top for using my CC

I paid for my winter holiday with thomson a few weeks ago and had to pay £60 on top for the privilage of using my CC :(

so well done Direct holidays if I have read this correct. http://www.directholidays.co.uk/AniteNextPage.asp?p=SPECIFICPROMOTION_82375 question no. 19
I read the same Lyn, will call them later when I get a chance and pay some more on the CC. Then hopefully I should be covered if anything goes wrong.

I have just paid Thomson for my Portland holiday by credit card and they dont seem to have charged the CCC!
Jay Trip,
They must have slipped up there as both Thomson / Portland say that its 2.5% ccc. Lucky you :)
Funny you should say that Jay. On Saturday when I paid First Choice for the Holiday Village, had to pay in full as it was so close. When she said it was £58.50 for CC charge I hesitated, and moaned it was a lot and could I split it 100 on a CC and rest on a Debit card. She said hang on and knocked it down to £30 to pay with the Credit Card. :rofl So they must have a level of flexibility over it.
I'm certainly going to be testing that flexibility next time I have to pay Thomsons . Shame Ive already handed them over an extra £60 .
I paid the deposit with my DC and was going to pay the balance on the DC too but we have to pay our caravan rent this month and have just had to fork out £400 on our car.
I may be in for a shock when my credit card bill comes in but it didnt show a charge on the invoice. :que I have a Thomas Cook CC and you can book any holiday with them except Portland!They dont make a charge and you get pounds credited which comes off your next holiday.
Phoned Direct hols there and paid £100 by my CC (Mastercard) and it was a 2.5% charge (so £102.50) in total. Maybe the £4.95 / £2.95 are for internet bookings?

Anyhows the rest will be paid by DC, saving like mad at the mo to get it all gathered up before we go.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.