EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
If you have access to a land-line, you could use an ISP that uses a local number in Tenerife, such as gonuts4free.com thereby, you pay local call rates for log-on, and means you can then access POP3 mail or webmail, if that is what you want to do. I use it regularly and find speeds fine. Far, far cheaper that connecting via a mobile telephone.
I don't have access to a landline. But how do I access someone like Gonuts4free with a mobile phone? Pardon my ignorance.
You will either need a data lead to connect phone to Laptop, or infra red connection. Believe me it is easy to set up.
Then it is the same as if you were using dial up from a landline.
On the http://www.gonuts4free.com website, you can register with them for free and you will see on their website the DUN number which you will use when in Tenerife.
The speeds are slow because of what can be achieved using a mobile telephone.
Alternatively, if you don't mind paying for international call costs, you should also be able to get an international number from BTInternet, but not if your account is for Broadband in UK, so you can log on to your account as normal, but you would be paying international call rates then.
Thanks. Is it painfully slow using a mobile phone?
The speed of landline modems is 56K, mobile telephone connection is 10-11K. If you are sending or receiving normal emails, connecting and send/receive say 4 emails will probably take 1 minute, so would probably cost 75p-£1 I guess. But if the emails have attachments, especially graphics, go to a cybercafe to download and delete if not needed.
what area of tenerife are you in?
i may have an option for you later this year
pay as you go broadband option without phoneline

richard
The most affordable option, if you are not using internet much is to use the ciber cafes. They are all over the place in Spain.
If you want to use your laptop, you could think about a GSM modem and a Spanish pay as you go card. It's horribly slow, as someone said, 11kb/s.
Spanish operators are only offering GPRS data connections on contracts at the moment so if you're not full time in Spain it would probably not be worth it.
Do you have your laptop setup to dial up from your UK mobile? If so you can buy a spanish vodaphone sim card, pop it into your Uk mobile (as long as its not locked to your currant mobile provider) and dial up via Telefonica pay as you go or Ya.com

Telefonica incredibly give everyone the same username and password to log on! Ya doesnt even have one!

If you PM me I can supply the details.

:D
Hi PJG,

Yes I also do use a mobile card to connect to the Internet in Spain.
I use http://www.gonuts4free.com/finall/manual/setup.php
This for normal and mobile dialup.

Hereby the settings I use:
username: sp@free - password: 123456 - tel: 550

The information to use mobile dialup in Spain can be found here: http://www.gonuts4free.com/finall/pda/mobile_telephones.php

Hope this helps.

Bye

Francis :D
Telefonica incredibly give everyone the same username and password to log on! Ya doesnt even have one!

Can you give me a bit more info please as I am with Telefonica adsl and you have me worried
Hi,

Do not be worried just dial the number 900 502010 from the line where the ADSL is installed upon and an automated system from Telefonica will give you automatically the settings from that ADSL.

Listen carefully because it is NOT very clear.

Bye

:D
I sue GPRS, on my phone, so I can surf net using it. Not sure if that is available for a lappy though.
GPRS cards in a PCMIA format are availabe

richard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.