General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Turkey is good value for money especially in May and June.
Look on the Portland website as they are a Thomson company but loads cheaper than them.
I'd also say Turkey is definately worth looking into. Should also be good weather in June.

You may get more response about other options if you ask in the general discussion area rather than the cyprus forum.

Steve
I agree Steve. I've never found Cyprus to be particularly cheap - but that's just my opinion.
we have been to hotel america callas de mallorca in majorca a couple of times its all inclusive right by the beach hotel nice and clean and food good it is in a quiet area with not many shops and bars but we loved it there and our lads enjoyed it to aged 16 travel republic sell it and first choice im sure there are many others good luck
i would also recommend turkey, the prices will be cheaper than somewhere with the euro, and the weather should be better than spain, the turkish people are lovely and adore kids. try looking at some of the cheap flight companies like easy jet and see if you can get a cheap price then price up accommodation this might work out cheaper than a package, worth having a good search and get prices for both diy and packages. theres plenty of accommodation only sites to look at too, if youre going in school holidays the prices will obviously be a lot higher. good luck
How about going to France with Europcamp, this is a genuine self-catering holiday, as opposed to others where basically people hire an apartment and eat out all the time, as opposed to going in a hotel. A family of 5 eating our every night even in a cheapish place like Turkey will cost you quite a bit of money. You would probably need to allow 100 pounds a day for the five of you on top of your accommodation.

You can either go by ferry or euro tunnel to France and stay in a mobile home. All three of your children will be free, as you only pay for the hire of the mobile, you can get different types of mobiles some more upmarket than others, depending on your budget. You may also be able to go by coach as you did with your holiday to Spain.

Most sites have lovely swimming pools and laid on activities for children the ages of yours. It's all very laid back with people shopping in local supermarkets, buying local produce and tending to have lots of picnics and BBQ's (you need to check site details to see if they allow BBQ's). You can pick either beachsite sites or countryside sites.

There is no need just to stick to Eurocamp, there are many other companys that offer these kids of holidays like Frech Life. You will need to go towards the south to pick up good weather though.
chris we stayed in 1 of these french camps quite a few years ago now end of aug to sept, but didnt go further enough south and omg it rained so hard we all got evacuated into the camps sports hall for the night and holiday was then cancelled and everyone put on the next ferry home as forecast for the week was so bad with gales and rain, it was a nightmare, so although these are a good idea and excellent fun make sure you go in the summer and south :duh
I say Turkey will give you the best value for money as they aren't in the EU. Yes, they are in Europe, but they haven't joined the EU yet because they cannot fulfil the Human Rights criteria ( and a bit off topic, France do not like Turkey,i dont know why).
So, this is why they have their own currency.

If you shop around you will find a decent self catering apartment for a good price.
Err ... Turkey's in Asia, not Europe! Well, except for a little bit around Istanbul :rofl
Is Turkey officially classed as Asia or Europe? The football team takes part in the European Championships and I'm sure i heard a pub question once asking which was the only major city that was situated in two continents, with the answer being Istanbul. Know this is off topic but would be good to get a defintive answer!
10% is in Europe and 90% is in Asia.Thats why there are probably allowed in the European cup.
Lots of insurance policies class it as Europe because part of the country borders the Mediterranean.Same reason as Eygpt is classed as Europe even though part of it is in Africa and the Sinai peninsular is in Asia.
As far as I know they havent applied to be in the EU,its got nothing to do with human rights etc!
If that was the case how come Bulgaria and Romania are in the EU.Sorry to go :offtop
Do you collect Tesco points? If you do you can get 4 for 1 trade ins on holidays. My wife collected £245 worth of points and we traded them in for £980 off an appartment in Tuscany for the Summer. The apartment plus insurance came to £1025 meaning we paid £45 in total.
ellie_meg wrote:
chris we stayed in 1 of these french camps quite a few years ago now end of aug to sept, but didnt go further enough south and omg it rained so hard we all got evacuated into the camps sports hall for the night and holiday was then cancelled and everyone put on the next ferry home as forecast for the week was so bad with gales and rain, it was a nightmare, so although these are a good idea and excellent fun make sure you go in the summer and south :duh

Hi Karen :wave: definately the summer. Although one year (we went twice) we went last week in May and first week in June and one of our friends got sunburnt :yikes as we weren't expecting it to be so hot.

Just thought I would suggest it as wanted to add a bit of variety in case the OP didn't want Turkey, as nothing else had been suggested by anyone.

The other good thing is all three children would be free as they only charge for the adults. Seemed to be loads going on to keep kids occupied, both sites we were on had lovely outdoor pools, but also had heated indoor pools as well. These were 4* sites though. We thought the standards were high.

I would imagine there is loads of good info on the France forum on HT.

:wave:
Err ... Turkey's in Asia, not Europe!

Actually, Turkey is in Europe, but is not in the EU as they don't meet the standards.
I was told this off my university lecturer, who happens to have a Phd in Economics :)
I would also recommend campsites for families. You could do Spain as well. My brother and his family go every other year to the South of France. They fly Easyjet into Nice then pick up a hire car. Can work out quite good value if you have to go in July/August.

I went with them one year to Brittany but unfortunately it rained for 9 days out of 14. You can't rely on Northern France for the weather unfortunately.

Err ... Turkey's in Asia, not Europe!

Actually, Turkey is in Europe, but is not in the EU as they don't meet the standards

Actually Turkey is in both! West of the Bosphorus is Europe, east of (the biggest part) is Asia.

Now if we can get back to the original post - what about Croatia? It isn't in as many British brochures as it was before the 1991 war but the tourist business is still there and they haven't joined the Euro.
Actually Turkey is in both! West of the Bosphorus is Europe, east of (the biggest part) is Asia.

Now if we can get back to the original post

Blimey, no need to get your knickers in a twist is there Steve :D
Yummymummy,your lecturer may have a PHD in Economics but I dont think he has an O level in geography :rofl
Turkey have not applied to be in the EU.
jaytrip, your wrong there, Turkey applied to be in the EU in 1959.and they hope to be in the EU by2013. google it if you dont believe me.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.