America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Speaking of TI - I've been doing some priceline bids on 4* north strip, which I expect would be TI. I'm wondering if I should be bidding on that then. Any thoughts? Surely my reservation would be fine if I won a bid (I'm getting counter offers when I bid, so there is definitely something I could win a bid on), but do you think this is silly bidding on this knowing TI has been bought over??

I've also been bidding for 4* south strip, the counter offers are much lower there (ie £70 for North and £50 for south. I'm tempted to try for south. Historically bids for south 4* are most commonly Planet Hollywood, Westin, and Luxor in that order. I don't mind either of those at the right price. My last bid was £40 for south, and I'd be happy with 40something if I got Planet Ho. I'm bidding on 6 nights including a weekend by the way.

Any thoughts?
You'll be fine Lesley. Let's be honest, the TI doesn't need much doing to it, by that I mean it's not like it's in a dilapidated state or anything. Sure they might want to change the theme or spruce it up a bit but probably not at the moment with money being so tight.
It will be interesting to see what they think is a good rate for their rooms - will they keep them the same as before or maybe lower them a bit to try to get in some extra trade?
Pebbles - you're right, the New Frontier was awful, in fact I think it's possibly the worst Vegas hotel I've been in and If I remember rightly, for the experience, we had lunch or dinner in their buffet not long before it closed......you don't need me to say how bad it was I'm sure......but it was VERY VERY bad :rofl I'd even stay in El Cortez before I stayed somewhere like the New Frontier!

*Actually I have a bit of a soft spot for El Cortez, I've never stayed there but have gambled there a few times and it has a real old Vegas atmosphere I think.

TC
I know, and I should also just be patient about the hotel, but I can't!!! :)

Hey, I've found a good deal for MGM for anyone going before end August. Rates from $52. And there's Celebrity Spa rooms available for $82!

https://reservations.mgmmirage.com/bookingengine.aspx?host=promo&pid=001&code=INB249&kbid=1518004

Anyone think I should just go in June too....hubby thinks we'd be kicking the backside out of it, but I'm not so sure... :cheers
Well that is what I would do. We have May and October booked for this year, so why not?
Yeah, but people will give us 'that look'. And I'm sure it will be an even funnier look for going twice in one year :rofl

Not sure....our boiler is broke so got that to distract me right now!
lesley74 wrote:
Yeah, but people will give us 'that look'. And I'm sure it will be an even funnier look for going twice in one year :rofl

We were going twice a year until last year when hubby's major birthday and a cruise got in the way. Nothing wrong with going twice a a year if you can.

luci :wave
I went in March and again in Sept. a couple of years back...........loved it :tup

TC
Wish I could go twice a year......
I can fully understand where Lesley (and her Hubby) are coming from. We've been to Vegas lots in the past 6 years (although not as much as some people on here) and whilst is has always remained fresh for us, I did get the feeling that my Wife wasn't having such a good time in August last year. Whether it was the crowds at the weekend, the heat, or just the familiarity of the city (and staying in the MGM) I don't know but I think it was a defining moment.

I would go back in a heartbeat because I love the place, but there are two individuals in this relationship and if my Wife isn't feeling it, there is no point even contemplating a return visit for the foreseeable future. I do agree with her though, there is plenty more of the world (and just the USA) to see and we have tentative plans already for 2009 for a trip to the Pacific Northwest.

What I will miss is the planning of a Vegas trip. Watching the Fat Wallet thread, trying all the hotel combination codes, going on Travelzoo and Goldstar for show tickets, organising trips outside of the city....that is one heck of a buzz!!

Enjoy your trips to Vegas and good luck!!!!
jwhiting - I'm sure the time will come when you are both ready to go back. You must be very understanding - don't know how I would feel if my husband suddenly didn't enjoy vegas! :yikes

We've not decided if we're going to do two trips. We have a lot else going on just now, and we're even hoping to move house (if the market picks up!)....so if we do we will need plenty of money to do work if/when we move. On the other hand, we can really afford to go, but I'm just not so sure about spending money I might be able to use for something else....

I also know if we wait to see if we're going to be able to sell ours, it will be a bit late to get this cheap deal I've seen.....mmmm decisions. Going for a meal tonight and some wine - might decide then!! :cheers
Hi Need a little advice Please anyone

Deciding on Las Vegas for my partners 40th i been looking around for best deals ( what i think are ok ) i found one but want to know if this is a good deal or not really

looking to go 2nd sep 09 to 6th sep 09 flying from M/chester to london with BA then on Virgin to las vegas same coming home staying at the MGM - with expedia its costing £1200.18 for 2 of us economy.

Do i do this or do i book things separate ? Never Been to America full stop and want to get a great hotel in a good spot for anything x :que
Hi Kazykaz,

To be honest, that is a pretty good price.

Flights to Vegas with Virgin from Gatwick are around £417 for those dates. When you take into account the flights down from Manchester it makes it a pretty good deal.
If you booked everything seperately you'd get a similar price.

You may be able to save between £50-100 if you flew indirect from London to Vegas but to be honest, it's not worth the hassle.

Cheers,

TC
Just an observation - it's a long way to go for 4 nights....

Pebbles is definitely going to come on here and say you should go for 4 weeks :D

It's a long flight, and your hotel might not be much more to make it up to a week for example. I tend to find expedia quite competitive. Do you use Quidco? http://www.quidco.com you get 3.5% cashback for packages.
Hey....I have more news. Just booked Paris on the London Clubs discount. $60-$75-$115 per night for 6 nights (weekend nights were $115). I thought this was great. So we have now booked 3 rooms there for the 6 of us. So it's looking like Orleans for 5, then Paris for 6. Unless of course anything better comes along...

Working out to be a really cheap trip. £480 for flights and Orleans per person, £200 per person maybe for Paris, then just under £20 per person back from Quidco for expedia. We're going to use the £100 we hope to get soon from Quidco for the car. We'll have to put about £60 or so towards it. Total price for the trip is looking like £690 per person, including flights, hotel, car. I think that was good!!
Well done Lesley! I checked the LCI site for you only yesterday and there were still no special rates for September so they must have just been released.

kazykaz wrote:

looking to go 2nd sep 09 to 6th sep 09 flying from M/chester to london with BA then on Virgin to las vegas same coming home staying at the MGM - with expedia its costing £1200.18 for 2 of us economy.

Price looks OK, but I would also suggest staying for the full week if you can as they are long flights for just 4 nights.

Also be aware that BA don't code share with Virgin so you won't be able to check your luggage straight through to Vegas. You will have to retreive it at Gatwick and then check it in with Virgin. You normally have to check in 2-3 hours before the flight so make sure the timings allow for this.

As you have not been to the US before you may not be aware that you have to apply for an ESTA online at least 72 hours prior to travel. This replaces the old Visa Waiver Program and you need one for each person travelling.

You can apply HERE. Print out or take a note of your reference number as it isn't emailed to you.

luci :wave
thanks for replys :)

i cant do any longer as its a suprise trip and i booking hols that he doesn't know about at work , wish i could though

i didnt realise that i had to re check in i checked back at the time we land at london and we land at 8.10 and take of again at 10.45 is this enough time ??? coming home we in london around 4 hrs so ok on return ,

I thought bookin a package they work it all out for you ! :que
Lesley,

That's a cracking Paris deal. On initial visits to Vegas I was never that keen on Paris but it has been a regular fixture on our treks up and down the Strip in more recent years. I absolutely love the gaming area.

It's really interesting seeing all these cheap holidays and I know that Vegas is completely different, but I am having serious concerns over budgeting for 2 weeks August in the Pacific Northwest. It has got to the point now where I am trying to convince my Wife that a road trip around the Grand Circle of National Parks in Utah is going to be a better and cheaper option but she just thinks I am trying to get Vegas included in the itinerary!!! :tup I'm not, but it would be an option. I even came out and said we'd fly in and out of Salt Lake City to convince her that Vegas isn't in my thoughts!!!

Seattle hotels are $200+ on our dates, even for a Comfort Inn. Portland isn't much cheaper and all down the Oregon cost things are not as cheap as you'd probably expect. Compare that to the Grand Circle (where it's probably too hot for most) and the roadside motels etc are great value from between $50-$100 a night.

Decisions, decisions. Hmmmm, 3 nights tagged on the end in Vegas following a National Parks tour of Utah...doesn't sound so bad methinks. :tongue
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.