Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Ventura
5 Posts
Ventura is like a small town and a cruise is as much about the actual trip as the ship you go on.

The passenger profile on say a Fjords trip in June will be totally different to a Western Med cruise in August so it's impossible to say who will be on board. There are up to 3500 passengers and just like life off ship there will be some passengers you get on with and some you don't.

The fact the ship is so large and has so many passengers means you rarely see the same passengers over and over again - the only time you will do is if you choose set dining times.
We are two 60 year olds who have regularly sail with P&O mainly because we enjoy the dressing up part and of course we always sail from Southampton. You can take more with you, no restriction.

The main complainers are the ones who cannot accept change, we are in 2011, but you would think some of them are still living in the 18 hundreds. You will find people will moan at the slightest thing, one of our fellow passengers was overheard to say there was too much time at sea on the sail to the Med, well they should have looked at the itinerary.

We sailed on Ventura last year, and took my parents, in their 80's and we really enjoyed it. So, do not let the few get in the way of your enjoyment.

Enjoy your cruise and enjoy Ventura.
After being on quite a few Thomson cruises we went on the Ventura last June. We didnt particularly encounter any snobbishness etc although almost everyone does dress up for the formal nights, even if you use the self service restaurant on formal evenings you would still feel uncomfortable if not dressed up. The different people we met every night on the Freedom dining option were lovely.
The cabin was excellent, can't fault trips etc but I must say I much preferred a smaller ship.
Our cabin, E206 was quite near the front of the boat and we had a heck of a walk along corridors as the restaurant was at rear of ship, about deck 15 I think.
Check in was ok for the large numbers of passengers but once you were on board you couldnt go to your cabin until there was an announcement that they were ready, I like it when a member of Thomson staff greets you and takes you to your cabin. Obviously because of the sheer size of the Ventura logistically they must have to do it the way that they do.
Food wise it was good, again I think the quality of the food with Thomsons was slightly better but perhaps I am being picky.
Staff far more formal and serious, they are obviously trained to be that way.
Even though it wasnt the school holidays you can forget trying to sunbathe around the pool, far too noisy.
If I was going to sail from Southampton again I would have no hesitation in using P & O again but would definitely go on one of their smaller boats next time. As a Thomson fan could I suggest the Spirit or Celebration for you to try, I much prefer their layouts to the Destiny's
I have just returned from the Ventura having sailed on Thomson Destiny before. We sailed in the school easter holidays therefore was a little concerned before we went as to how busy it would be. Yes the ship was fully booked but you would never have known it. Plenty sunbeds, plenty tables at buffet and lots of quieter areas to sit. The food was excellent and the ship itself fabulous. We will definately sail on her again.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.