Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Firstly, hope you got the £399 deal...we are still hurting because we cannot do this one for family reasons, otherwise we would be joining you!

Freedom dining means you can eat in the MDR at whatever time you choose, and whomever you choose. No assigned table or waiter and, yes, you can eat at the buffet instead if you choose. The dress mode you mention is perfect, except for the formal nights (1 or 2) but you may choose to eat at the buffet on these nights. If you do formal, it is normal for a suit and tie in the dining room. Because you have chosen freedom dining, a sum of between £1.50 and £2 pppd (for us a year and a half ago it was £1.60) will be automatically billed because you will have a number of different waiters. They recommend a total of about £4 pppd to cover tips, so you may decide to give the room steward the rest. It is not mandatory.

Cashless system is in operation, yes.

Inside cabins are perfect, and the wardrobe space (open) is very well designed acting as a "buffer" between the room area and the wc/shower room.

The ceremony/party days are gone, but many people will go up top for the sailaway and there is something made of it...we always go and enjoy that time.

Now the hard bit...disembarkation day (ouch). They wont throw you off, but expect everyone off by 9.00 - 9.30ish. We always just ignore the final, final call for all passengers...but when the final, final, final comes we know it is time to go!

You will find the cruise to be informal enough, as the Ventura is geared towards families, but not as informal as Thomson...you will love it, especially if you got that price.

Enjoy, and anything else just ask.
Thanks very much for your very helpful reply hamrag, I think you have just about covered everything for us and yes - the £399 price came through to me yesterday via Gills Cruises and we just couldn't resist!
It's an ideal way for us to test whether the massive ships are for us or not.
Freedom dining means turn up and eat, anytime between 6.30pm and 9pm. We only had to wait once for about 5 minutes, but this was on formal night when everyone had gathered in the atrium to listen to the captain. Once he finished everyone wanted to eat!

Drinks prices are lower than average UK pub prices.

Casual nights are trousers and shirts, formal nights are either dinner suit or dark suit and tie (on a week's cruise there will be two formals).

For disembarkation you have a choice - DIY or a set time. If you DIY you can leave as soon as the ship docks - we were off ship for about 7.30am - but you have to carry your own luggage.

If you want your bags moving to the baggage hall you will get a disembarkation card with details of the time alloted to you to be off the ship - ours was 10am.

Reception will give you an earlier time if you want one.

Look after the ship we are on it the week after!
Thanks for your answer daveyjp - really started looking forward to it now.
I might still on board and lost when you arrive, the ship looks huge!
On any ship with flexable dinning.

If you want to do anything else like the shows then you limit dining times to fit round them.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.