Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Nationwide and Abbey have been using this scheme for ages here in the uk for some online transactionson, I have accounts with both and have had to register passwords etc
HSBC too have been using this scheme for ages with online transactions as I have an account with HSBC and had to register with password to Mastercard Secure Code.
........ and so have Barclaycard.
It only applies to online transactions not in store or ATM's where you just enter the security code as normal.

To be honest, I had forgotten my Barclaycard security password and instead it just prompted me for some very obvious and easily obtained ( by someone else) details like D.O.Birth.
I'm so glad you all have verified cards!

Obviously my warning was aimed at those who, like me, do not.
The point I was trying to make was that most of us won't be buying anything on line whilst in India so it doesn't matter if they are verified or not.
Don't feel left out by not having one !!!!!!
Fair enough, but it seems with the extortionate prices charter airlines are asking more and more HT'ers are booking with scheduled airlines and many are booking direct. From Ist of August, booking direct with Jet, Kingfisher, or God forbid Air India, will require verification, no matter where you are at the time. Also paying for other internal flights.
Many people seem interested in using the trains, and the easiest way to book and pay is online..........guess what, yes, verification required.
How about all these HT folk putting together their own holidays and booking places to stay, like Wildernest for example? Or the larger resorts that offer on-line booking?
Excursions from people like Eddie at Daytripper, or larger purchases from the likes of Kashmiri furniture emporiums? Or the peoplewho regularly buy jewellery?

After 1st of August this year, Reserve Bank of India rules (the same as statute law) will require any business based in India to only accept verified card payments..................hence the advice, better safe than sorry, surely?
.hence the advice, better safe than sorry, surely?

Absolutely right Johnny. I'm not sure where you would go if your card doesn't currently have a verification programme though.
We just booked hotels and Qatar on an Asda card which doesn't have a verification programme and fair play, within the hour we had a phone call asking if they were bona fide purchases by us.
Incidentally, Wildernest doesn't take any cards at all . They seem passionately against plastic in all forms ! My 4 night stay will be paid in cash which involves carrying a paper brick around !
Absolutely right Johnny. I'm not sure where you would go if your card doesn't currently have a verification programme though.

This is why I finished my initial post with the words

so if you are concerned about this get Googling, and on your own head be it........

It would appear that the "Verifier" is the issuing bank, ie, a Visa card issued by Nationwide, would be verified through the Nationwide's programme.

Another "for example"..............if you have a Visa card, this is a good place to start;
http://www.visaeurope.com/personal/onlineshopping/verifiedbyvisa/signup/uk.jsp

I particularly did not want to get into specifics as I don't want the blame if individual members cock-it-up, or choose to ignore the advice until they find they cant use their card in India
we booked next years flight with yatra and had to verify my credit card, wasn't to happy at the time but it is indian govt rules i supose i could have booked direct with qatar airways but it was quite a bit cheaper with yatra. After the transaction i badgered the credit card company just to put my mind at rest as i had never done this before, everything was as it should be so heres to feb :cheers :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.