General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Last year we decided to spend most of our days at the beach and have a really chilled out holiday,we took 2x2 litre bottles of frozen water with us and just drank that all day,it cost about 4lira,maybe less.We went on a couple of boat trips and also used the local dolmus,it can be enjoyable even on a budget.
Re frozen water bottles we freeze ours then wrap flannels round them for a cool face rub down :tup
good idea,we bought insulated sleeves with carry straps for our bottles ,they were icy cold all day.
Thanks for the replies guys. I've just come on here to write some of the ideas down so I don't forget anything.

Things may be looking up. I think I have word sorted for four months, starting end of June. I won't get paid before we go, but at least it means I will be coming back to some money. I'm not counting on it as things could still go wrong, but hopefully not.

I'm still planning as if I won't be working. This morning I paid for the extra luggage. I managed to get it down to £15 each (which is the price they offer you it at time of booking, for some reason if you try and add it later on its £25 each :que). There's no way we could have managed with 15kg, even without taking food, especially when Dalaman is known to have, let's say, dodgy weighing scales.

I've got a few bits on ebay at the minute, and I am doing as many surveys as I can to raise a bit of cash.

Toiletry wise we're sorted except for a bottle of suncream for the OH but I have seen some cheap store own brands. He will just have to apply it in the room so nobody sees :rofl

I've started to collect a bit of food together. Got some couscous (a life time supply actually, the cupboard is full of it :whoops) and we're going to collect a few bits each week now. I'm actually looking forward to taking some bits, it will be nice to have a picnic in the sun on the balcony.

Anyway, thanks so much again. Better get back to making notes.

Got the travel insurance sorted too last week. OH was asked into a meeting at work and we both immediately though redundancies so I sorted it straight away. Luckily he's okay though. That cost £6 each with Virgin so not bad at all.
Asda's own brand suncream got a very good write up in Which magazine a couple of years ago,it came out above Piz Buin which we always buy.
That's good news about the possible job lexilex, hope it works out. I hope you come back and tell us how it all went. There have been lots of good ideas here, I shall be using some of them. Have a great holiday.
Thanks Oscarben, we went for the Asda suncream in the end so will see how it is.

Managed to grab a bit of a bargain with the car parking. We used Holiday Extras, paid £49.99, then I found it for £45.99 elsewhere so they are going to refund us :D

Part of me is quite enjoying this, having to hunt for bargains. We've bought a few more foody bits to put in our cases from B&M's. In a way it will be nice to just be able to go to our room and grab something to eat rather than have to get dressed and go to a cafe.

Found our hotel are funny about bringing food in though so will have to be careful about that.
Just to update again...

I start work on Monday :D :D :D

Temporary, but I know I have a job to come home to, and with three weeks to go I can finally look forward to my holidays.

Thanks for everyones ideas in this topic, we are still going to take some food because I won't be paid before we go, you have all been a great help.
Great news - congrats!

Take a few of the resealable plastic food bags with you - excellent for keeping food sealed and keeping ants etc out whilst keeping it fresh at same time. So easy to have the bags stashed in wardrobe or suitcase means no-one need ever see you have food in room - also helps keep things cool inside a suitcase under the bed. They come in various sizes and can be used to carry all your creams lotions etc.

The bags are great for wet costumes or leaking suntan creams etc. It's amazing how useful they are - now I wouldn't be without them!!

Enjoy the last few weeks of anticipation and planning !

:wave:
So pleased for you,lexielex,enjoy your holiday and don't forget to come back on here and tell us how it went.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.