Help And Assistance

Need help and advice on using this forum? Post your queries in here.
Hi siftersam,

As soon as Van is back online, I'm sure he'll answer your question.

Mark :D
Ssam,
Having problems getting MP4 to play in the browser for some unknown reason.

Do you have a converter to switch them to wmv which do play fine?

If not I have a freeware I can upload that converts.

Van
As an after thought ...if you upload as mp4 I'll convert...

Van
Ok done that. I hope its the sort of thing you had in mind.

MP4 is likely to be quite popular, as I expect you know, its a common format for phones which seems to record a reasonable quality clip. Shame you can't embed with a QuickTime player direct but then at least with one format you avoid / lessen the mine field of browser compatability etc.
Use the post as a test, if you don't include it I won't cry for many days :wink:
Totally agree with you re mobiles...def mp4 has become the standard....

Am sure we'll get the built in player woring in time but in the meantime I'll just convert them.

Yours has been uploaded to the Menorca Video Library now.

Van
Van

Should that clip be working now? All I'm seeing is this...

Attachment:
[The extension wmv has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]
A couple of thoughts.

The conversion looks ok but turns a 352 x 288 0.9Mb file into a 320 x 240 2.8Mb file. I guess this limits an MP4 upload to 5Mb.

Is it possible to protect or deter videos here from being download for the benefit of people who prefer to only share with this community? Checking the properties I see that losing the original file extension to php?id=xx promts a 'download this file' rather than opening a suitable player. Personally I don't care, I just thought I'd mention things I notice before you have a huge library.

How about 320 x 280 with the bottom 40 pixels as a holidaytruths.com overlay?
The file increase was primarily down to me.

I could have made it under 1Mb but chose to let the software do an auto conversion.

In a test upload I did last week I got a 12 minute file in wmv under 14Mb so no the 5Mb limit doesn't really stand as I can force the vdeo clip down to the 15Mb max. Yes the files can be watermarked on conversion.

I've added a smaller watermarked copy into your post in Menorca...

Download link also removed.

Take a look

Van
I like it, watermark looking good. If you have hotlink protection off you may as well get some credit for hosting! BTW I never noticed a download link, I was thinking more of the right click, properties, cut path and paste method.

I recall there being a method of replacing a hotlinked image with a default image you can specify, I wonder if the idea would work with videos. I had a rummage through cPanel X but can't see how you could do that with each video having a php?id=xx suffix.

I guess with all the ad revenue it was either the M6 convertible or a huge server :wink:

Anyway, good idea and good work Boss!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.