Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Villamartin
42 Posts
Your quoted fare for a taxi transfer sounds reasonable.

Villamartin is about 5km inland from La Zenia.

It has a lively (but comparatively expensive) square for nightlife.

There is now a year round, infrequent bus service (which used to run only in August).

A taxi to Torrevieja would probably cost about 15 Euro, they are all metered and you can pick one up outside the square.

There is a SuperValu supermarket in Los Dolses square, about 1km from Villamartin, and a Consum close to the La Zenia roundabout, but I wouldn't use them. There are 2 Mercadona supermarkets nearby, a new one in the Los Dolses commercial center, and one close to Campoamor golf course. If you really can't do without English stuff, there is a small and very expensive supermarket at the front of Villamartin square.

The weather will almost certainly be nice in June, but it will be busy. Villamartin is a golf resort, and like all golf resorts June is a very popular month (July and August is too hot to play).
thankyou for the reply,:}..Does sound like we are in the middle of no-where..lol.Was hoping to walk to some places without the cost of taxis but i guess maybe after a few days we will find easier options..
I came back about three weeks ago from Villamartin. We were there for three days when we decided to hire a car. I thought we could do without one too. It cost 133 Euro for one week. I think money well spent as we would not have seen much otherwise. We used the small supermarket at the front of Villamartin square a lot but went to supervalu too. Eating out in the square was expensive...about the same as home. We did not see any taxi during the day. There was a taxi rank but no taxis there.
Ask any questions and I will try to answer. We did have a lovely holiday there.
Hi Cornish Bev

I live in Villamartin so can maybe answer most of your queries. Where is your apartment (don´t mention the number etc, and the dates you arrive on the net) just in general? I would think that the apartment owner has provided you with transfer and if that is the case they may offer local trips etc, but check to see if they are covered by insurance otherwise use an official cab. The local cab office speaks English and I can get you the number if you like. It will depend on where you are staying in Villamartin as it covers is a very wide area, we can walk to the plaza, shops and golf course from our home but some places further back you would need a hire car. There are several places nearby you can hire a car for short periods so bring your licence just incase.
hi..thanks for all the replies.Sorry denise dont know where it is in villamartin...geeze how blonde do i sound..lol.The appartment is a friend of my dads and they have sorted out transfers etc.We are coming out on the 7th june for 2 weeks(is it still raining..grr)I will try and find out the name but i am taking my driving license just in case(bricking myself if have to hire..he he)Hopefully we are not too far out,but cant complain got our flights for 2p each way and from our local airport aswell!!...bargain!!..:}first time in years i dont have to drive 2.5 hours plus just to get to a airport.
hi again...just rang the people up..its lomas da golf..is that spelt right?.they said its about a 10 min walk to the plaza and they do it regularly themselves when they visit.Bit of a hill apparentely but hell my boy could do with the excersise hes pc and ps2 mad..i cant get him to play like a kid should..:}
Lomas del Golf is not an uncommon name in that area, and it would be hilly (the clue is in the name!).

If it is the one I am thinking of then it would be the relatively new development, which is a right turn from the small roundabout between the golf course and El Limonar school.
This is on the very outskirts of Villamartin, so make sure you have your driving licence and a credit card with you, because I cannot see you not hiring a car for very long!
That being the case, it might be an idea to cancel your transfers to and from the airport and put the 120 Euro that you save towards the cost.
The drive from Alicante airport is easy, you will be using only 2 roads for the entire journey.

I certainly would not want to be stuck up there without a car!

The weather forecast (if you believe in such things), is for a few more days of rain, followed by a long, very hot and dry summer. It is cloudy and raining today, so they have got the first bit right.

Post back if you need driving directions from the airport.
Oly Dave is right Lomas de Golf is just past the greens of Villamartin golf course and right also that after maybe one or two days you will wish that you had hired a car. Cars can be hired from just across from the Plaza but the cheapest option as Dave says is to hire one from the airport. There may be a post here on cheap car hire or ask the owners of the apartment who they usually use, they should also supply you with a direction sheet and also a map of the Urbanisation as they are all like rabbit warrens.
You will definitely need a car to get around the Villamartin area as it's very spread out and quite hilly in places.The irregular bus service which only started last year still doesn't have a proper timetable or marked bus-stops so is a complete waste of time. The cheapest car hire company I know which has been recommended on this forum in the past is: doyouspain.com and you can collect at Alicante airport.
hi. im going out to VillaMartin in July with my boufriend and two other male friends were 18/19 and staying at my nans house there. Its right near that aquare some of you have talked about. does anyone have any taxi numbers that are reasonably priced as we dont really fancy driving. but judging by these posts were going to struggle without a car.
is there anywhere you recommend for good nightlife? i dont really know how much money to take either? any help is appreciated.
I think you are going to have to struggle without a car, because unless anyone knows differently, I don't think there is a hire company that will let you have one at your ages.

Taxis are metered, and it will cost about 20 Euro to get to Torrevieja, and perhaps the same to Lo Pagan. These 2 places would be my choices for nights out. Cabo Roig is closer, and there are plenty of bars there too.
If you fancy a night at Pacha on the outskirts of Torrevieja, then you can probably add another 5 Euro to the fare, and drinks inside are very expensive.

Eating and drinking in Villamartin square, as has already been pointed out, will set you back about the same as London prices.

Take lots of money, Villamartin ain't cheap.
If the apartment is right next to the Plaza you may not need to go anywhere by taxi. The plaza can be expensive, as can anywhere if you eat and drink at the top places. Try one of the Irish bars like Jamiesons, Shandon Bells (live music most nights) or Barry´s bar for drinks and places like the Winchester, Munchies (fish & chips less than 9 euros Tuesday and Friday) or early bird at the Indian´s where you can get three courses with a glass of wine or small beer/or sweet depending which restraunt for ten euros (Red Onion ground floor, or Shalima top floor ).
The nightclub Neptunes is usually open until about 4am its a bit grotty but hey what the heck! If you are looking for really cheap then just walk down to Los Dolces where they do a happy hour 6 - 8 and beers are about 2 euros a pint. There is a bus service that goes to the La Zenia beach which I think is about 1 euro each way but Radio cars are opposite the Plaza, in the car park and they will give you a card and take you wherever, if there are four of you it would work out about 2 euros each. Oly Dave is right about not being able to hire a car because of your ages, and also about the strip at Cabo Roig more bars there and cheaper but you would need a taxi if not there then back!
Hi there,

We have just come back from villamartin, literally, an hour ago. Found this website to ward others. Be very very carefull. We were broken into in the middle of the night while we slept and everything taken. My two children were asleep and their games consoles taken from next to them. We have been to the same place several times and always felt very safe, this time, after we were broken into and robbed, we did not speak to ONE PERSON who had NOT been robbed. Do not bring a handbag out at night, the road by the golf course in not lit and is locally called "ambush alley". Regardless of if you are with your partner or kids, they come past you and grab your bag and DO NOT LET GO untill they have your bag. Please be very very carefull. Lock all windows and doors at all times and do not bring a bag out with you. The plaza is fab and the food is outstanding and the place is fab, but please be on your guard at all times.!!! I really hope that someone reads this and it makes a difference and it stops what happened to us happening to someone else!!
Your post is good advice, and it is important to be alert wherever in the World you go on holiday.

Unfortunately, many people are not as careful with their belongings here as they would be in their home countries.
Tourists do the most stupid things. Every day I watch people on the beach leave their belongings in full view and casually go for an hour's walk. Holidaymakers think nothing of leaving their handbags and other valuables in plain view in their cars. Wallets, mobile phones and handbags are left unattended in bars and restaurants......The list of stupidities is almost endless.

For those reasons 'break in's' to occupied properties are rare. There is little need to force an entry into a property when it is so easy to find a place with windows, and sometimes even doors left open all night (and more often than not, drunken occupants asleep inside!).
How exactly was your property broken into?

Handbag thefts happen here, as they do anywhere. But they are not confined to any particular areas, and I have certainly never heard anyone refer to the area mentioned as ‘Ambush Alley'.

I also find it a little odd that everyone that you spoke to after the incident had been robbed themselves, but on previous visits you felt completely safe. Did you not speak to people on previous holidays, or are you implying that the area has become unsafe only recently?
Sorry to hear about your breakin Rowena 99, I was broken into twice when I lived in the north of England (very good area ) and like you on one occasion we were in and asleep upstairs. They wedged a piece of wood under the handle of the door to the stairs and we could not get out, so I know the feeling oh too well.
You also make some very valid points about walking down unlit roads late at night and handbags etc, everyone seems more relaxed when they are on holiday and this is picked upon by opportunist thieves. Only yesterday, I called at one apartment where the holiday makers were on the roof terrace and the front gate and front door were open, had I been a thief these people too would be one of those "everybody I spoke to had been broken into" statistics.
I have heard of two bag natches on this particular stretch of road, but like Oly Daze have never heard of the name you gave it. Yes it is good to warn others but as you say you have visited the area many times and never had a problem or seemingly heard of a problem before, so it has to be put in perpective, i.e. there is crime all over Europe, and violent crime is more prevalent in other countries than Spain.
I send in figures for the local Neighbourhood Watch, and with their involement and more police in the area (who by the way have just arrested a gang responsible for most of the crime in the area) I can state that crime in general in on the decrease. While we will never stop bag snatches and breakins where ever we live in the world thank you Rowena 99 for passing on the warning.
In reply to oly dave, My shutters were down and the window was locked and the bars on the windows remain in tact. I am merely passing on my advice to warn others, yes I have been there before but no, I had no idea of the crime in the area. ( why would I discuss this with other people when its the last thing on my mind? Im more inclined to ask opinions on restaurants and good places for the kids) I do not wish to upset any one or have tit for tat replys, this happens everywere home and abroad I do realise that. I am not one of those "stupid" tourists that leave thier belongings on show, I have been to europe many times and I am simply warning others to be on their guard. We all know that people can let their guard down as they are abroad. Thats why its called a 'holiday'!! Just beware!! I was one of 4 break ins on my strip of villas,that night, so, not all that rare.
I just came back yesterday from my 1st Holiday in Los Dolses. It was 5mins away round the corner in an apartment from the Los Dolses commercial centre and can honestly say its one of the best holidays iv ever had. I didnt have a car but had friends in Los Dolses. The only time i got taxis was wen i went to Cabo Roig and back to the airport. Already booked to go again in September. Such a friendly resort.
Hi - have stayed in this area on a few occasions (los Dolses) and have never found a good tapas or seafood restaurant. Can anyone recommend one? Don't mind driving as long as the food is good. Thanks :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.