America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
I was over in Florida a couple of years ago during the Easter holidays. It was murder because the american spring break fell at the same time. Spring Break is when all the schools and colleges are on holiday.

Looking at a few school/college holiday dates for next year, it appears that the Spring Break finishes around March 17th.

Don't know if this date applies right across the states though.

However....whatever you do...miss Spring Break...it's CHAOS anywhere!!!
1. I believe 6 Flags Magic Mountain is not far from LA. We also went to Knottsberry Farm when we were there.

2. I don't think your daughter will be allowed in any bars, but will be OK inrestaurants where alcohol is served.

She might like the roller coaster at New York New York, the one at the Sahara and there is always the Adventuredome at Circus Circus.

3. I would suggest Alcatraz as a must see, but suggest you book your tickets online before you go. I can't remember the name of the company that runs the tours now, but a search of this forum for Alcatraz should bring up some results.

luci :wave
Spring breaks run from mid March to mid April depending on which part of the country.
Thanks for the advice so far...I will try and dig out the term times for over there - it sounds like I should skip Spring Break!! :shock: :shock:

I have just been looking a 'visit Vegas' type site and it says there is a curfew for children of 9pm. Which wouldnt be a bad thing really. We were so tired after our week there we did end up watching movies with a pizza in bed a couple of times! LOL!

I know there are some great shows suitable for kids - Lance Burton is a must if he is still on and I would take her to the 'superstar' shows - she will love that. Shark Reef will also get a thumbs up.

Does anyone know if any hotels have a waterpark with slides??

Alcatraz is a defo - another reason why we HAVE to go to all three places - hee hee!
I believe the MGM has a very nice pool with a lazy river and the one at Mandalay Bay is also nice. Don't know about slides though.

I think the 9pm curfew is for unaccompanied children so your daughter will be OK out with you.

luci :wave
Thats great Luci.

I will keep looking for those Spring Break Dates...Grrrr!!

I would be interested in any shows to go to with children in Vegas which people recommend.

S.F. - Whats to do around Fishermans Wharf? Thats where the Sherton hotel is if we book.

THANKS! :D
Alcatraz info HERE :wink:

Pippy :D
Magic Mountain is about 45 minutes north west of LA, in Valencia. I think it's the best theme park in the LA area and I would go there over Disney any day. However, if you don't like roller coasters (and most go upside down) then perhaps Disney would be better. :)
You could do the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz in one day easily. The Winchester Mystery House and Paramount's Great America are within driving distance (both are in San Jose) and Half Moon Bay is also worth a look.

You didn't say but I assume you will be driving between the cities. If you are, I highly recommend taking in Yosemite when driving between LV and SF. I would take a day out of each city for that. I believe all the trails/roads should be open in April and the waterfalls are getting close to their peak at that time of year. I would say that Yosemite is a "must see" in California... nothing will prepare you for its beauty and vastness.
Hi

We are looking at a fly drive tour with Virgin. I cant find any other holiday company that does anything like it.

I usually do the flights/transfers/car hire separate when we go to our villa - but because this is a little more complicated Ive thrown the towel in and thought Id get a package.

Thanks for the info - will put those ideas on our list of must do's.
From what I can gather on US academic calendars it seems Spring Breaks mainly start around March 21st and are finished around April 6th.

So dare I think that we could be ok going around 4th April afterall?? :?

Does this sound about right?

Thanks again

Joolz :wink:
Fishermans Wharf is very 'touristy', but I quite liked it. We stayed at the Radisson there in January 07. You have Pier 39 with shops, eateries and of course the resident sea lions. Lots of the usual chain restaurants in that area, ie Hard Rock, Rainforest Cafe. Alcatraz is visable from this area out in the bay. Lots of boat trips available from here. Alcatraz is a must - i have details about booking etc in the link already posted. Cable car rides are fun and a must do when in SF.

I note that you are booking a package. I did LV, SF and Maui and arranged the lot independently. Flights booked through United Airlines. You only pay for the furthest destination so stops in LV and SF were technically free. Arranged a limo to and from airport in LV as no car (part from 1 day which we hired later). Arranged for Bayporter Express to transfer us from airport to hotel in SF as again no car hire. Not really required and most hotels charge high rates for parking. Hotels also booked separately. Be worth pricing it up to see if you could do it cheaper yourself?
joolz307- Don't worry too much about School Spring breaks- it's the College Spring breaks you want to watch out for- take a look at
http://www.coolestspringbreak.com/college-spring-break-schedule.html
We're talking about 18-25yr olds out for a noisy good time,they manage to take over a lot of resorts. Well,no one else would want to be there!
This schedule is for 2007 but 2008 will show up soon.
Thanks so much for the info. I am getting lots of ideas and tips! :D

I thought we ought to have a car for when we are in L.A. as we will be going to Disney and Universal :?:

Thanks for the link for the spring break dates - I am starting to think that we will be ok going around the 4th April as everything I have seen seems to be finished within the first week of April.

Joolz :wink:
you say you will stay in Los Angeles. We are thinking (like you) of 5 days in LA but wonder whether it is better to stay on the beach rather than in Down town LA. What do you or other posters think?
We are going to stop in Anaheim on our visit as its near Disney.

We are going to our villa a couple of times during summer so we can do the beach then, I suppose it depends on what you enjoy most.

Santa Monica is supposed to be fab for people watching and I think you can hire bikes or rollerblades down there!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.