Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Virgin Holidays
11 Posts
If the hotel had informed Virgin, they should have informed you, but only if the refurb was due to still be taking place at the time of your stay. If the hotel had told them it should be finished by x, and it was before you travel, then they would have no need to inform you.
There should have been an errata loaded onto the system and depending how you booked it should either be read to you by the travel agent or there should be some kind of an online notification. The agent/you should confirm/accept the change/notification before the booking system will allow the process to go any further.

We used to find that bookings taken over the weekends at a company where I used to work often did not get the errata's read to the customers over the phone as the agents just wanted to get the booking for their figures/confirmation. But of course, it's the company who is at fault and the customer services department used to have to pick up the flack from the customer afterwards.

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
I booked direct online with Virgin. Yesterday I went through the booking process again and there is still no mention of any work/closures at the hotel. I will post when I get a reply from Virgin.

I wondered if it was our right to change Hotel without cost due to their lack of information. I checked a couple of other holiday companies and they have the information before booking.
Can you post the name of the hotel. It is possible that one of our members may have some personal knowledge about this.

fwh
You could send them a recorded letter Jacky stating that you've been made aware of building works at your hotel of which Virgin haven't informed you about. Say that would prefer to change hotel if possible and that if not you are reserving your right to make a complaint on your return if your holiday is marred by any building work.

Whilst in resort, fill in a complaint form via your rep, take any photographs showing disruption, collect any names and addresses from other customers who are not happy.
Thanks for the suggestions, still waiting for reply from Virgin.

Here is what it says on BA holidays booking site.

The southern end of St. Lucian is closed for essential non disruptive maintenance work affecting the Clipper Grill, pool bar and pool which are closed. Due to the size and layout of the hotel there is no disruption to guests. The Mariners beachside restaurant is open for buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner with a la carte menus available. The Oriental Restaurant, Quarter Deck Café and Admirals Lounge remain unaffected. (22 Nov 2011 - 30 Mar 2012)

Bit devious of Virgin isn't it :twisted: We went to this hotel last year and loved it but doubt we would have booked if we had seen this
It's possible that the notice wasn't on the system at the time you booked if BA are saying it was from 22 November onwards. The Rep in resort has to go to monitor the work, assess how much noise or nuisance is being created and then a decision is taken whether there should be a prior notice go to the Operations Department and systems. Then it takes time to create it and load the information on the system. So I think a week wouldn't have afforded enough time.

I doubt they would advise before the work actually started as often dates get pushed back for one reason or another.

It's also possible the work may be almost completed by the time you are due to travel or your tour operator may have been given different information by the hotel. Yes, it does happen! The hotels are not very forthcoming when they're about to disrupt their guests and prefer not to tell the tour operators until the very last minute or not at all.

I recall visiting the Atlantica Hotel in Limassol many years ago on an educational visit and discussing with them how they had closed half of the restaurant because they suddenly got the idea to build a bridge over the swimming pool. No advice, no nothing with guests up in arms! Then the hotel wondered why they were getting their rooming invoice payments reduced for compensation we'd had to pay out to the customers.... :que

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Well I find it strange that every website but Virgin seems to have the information on their website. Not only was it not on the website at the time of booking, it is STILL not on their website :que Just received this reply from them which tells me nothing.

Thanks for your email.

We've just received information from the hotel and will be in touch shortly to advise of the situation.

I'm sorry I can't offer more information at the moment.

Kind regards

• Edited by luci HT Mod 2012-01-09 21:23:08
    To remove staff member name
At least they have acknowledged receipt of your complaint and have stated that they are investigating. Have you been in touch directly with the hotel to ask when the pool and bar will be re opened?
Have had further communication with Virgin but won't post it as I think we may be looking at legal action on our return. They claim that they are still "collating information". Have read reviews which say that part of the Hotel is closed and one of the swimming pools (this week) yet Virgin claim not to have full information. I think they are waiting until the last minute to inform us so that we shall be obliged to go anyway. We have already hired an expensive pet-sitter so we are committed to these dates.

I shall post fully when all is clear as have been in touch with the Consumer Ass. re. mis-selling of holiday.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.