Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi all,

I'm flying with Virgin on Friday LHR - JFK VS003 and I was just wondering have all their planes had the refurb now, as this plane seems slightly smaller than what I had flown with previously so just wanted to check that it had been done?

Thanks in advance,
Phil
Phil,

LHR-JFK (VS003) on Friday is operated by Airbus A340-600. This is one of the largest aircraft they operate. These haven't been refurbished as far as I know, unlike the Boeing 747-400's.

Darren
Hi Darren,

Thanks for your quick reply :) Ah do you know why I thought it was bigger because it had an upstairs.. lol

Ah so fairly old aircraft then? Hopefully the screens work, my worse bug bear! lol

Cheers, Phil
Phil,

The A346 fleet isn't that old, they're similar age to the 747's fleet and have the same sort of interior.

Darren
Ah ok cheers Darren, looking forward to my flight :)
Hello all,
Would someone happen to know what happened to VS27 to Orlando yesterday ? It was delayed by about 5 hours ... Many thanks in advance !
Hi Darren

Hope you are well not spoken for a while - well I finally am going to mexico, but not on the Dreamliner with Thomson (as i only booked yesterday last minute decision ) and going 1st February I could not get anything at all with Thomson, so booked with virgin Upper Class (redundancy money has paid for it ;) )

Anyway flying from Gatwick (south I think) to Cancun on VS093 which i understand to be the 747 400, and also see from previous posts in the thread that the 747's have had a refit - so does that mean it will be upper class or new upper class? Both are amazing of course.

Many thanks

Pinky
Miss Pink,

Flights are indeed operated by the Boeing 747-400. The refurb should be complete now. Enjoy the champagne :cheers

Darren
Oh my gosh thanks Darren - I most certainly will
Sanji wrote:
Virgin drops the London to Sydney route.
Hong Kong is as far as they will go.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/feb/05/virgin-atlantic-australia-drops-flight-direct

Sanji x

I wonder how long it will be before BA stop going to SYD ? They already have a A380 going to HKG and now have introduced a A380 to SIN ( 3 times a week , daily from next year ) their other OneWorld partners can do the onward flight to SYD , and they no longer have an joint agreement with Qantas .
It's easy to see why this decision is made , Virgin can make more revenue rather than having a plane sitting on Tarmac by flying to SYD .
Hi Andy :wave
When we flew with Virgin from Heathrow to Sydney (direct with a 2 hour stop) there were a lot of passengers who got off at HK, and a lot of 'new' passengers who got on at HK.
I suppose with a number of airlines operating HK to SYD, it gives passengers plenty of choice, so, for the second leg of the journey, Branson's planes may not be as full as he would like them to be.
Still a loss of choice for those who want a direct flight from Heathrow. :(

Sanji x
Hi Sanji , it is a loss of choice and less competition for other airlines , who out competed them because they have lower cost base . SRB has admitted that they were losing $10 million a year on that route and should have cut it earlier , also economics dictate that they could now utilise that plane to fly LHR-HKG-LHR and then LHR-JFK-LHR in the same period of time it takes to do LHR-SYD-LHR and obviously earn more revenue . Middle East carriers and Far East carriers can operate to Australia and earn respectable revenues because of their position , that why I think eventually that BA will not fly through to Australia and also Qantas to LHR , they will use their planes for easier and more lucrative routes . There will be more co operation with their alliance partners and hopefully the "stop " will be not too time consuming .
Hello,
could anybody help me as I want to go to mexico next april and I prefer Virgin to Thomson even though it is £200 more expensive with Virgin.
On the other hand I would only book virgin if i knew that I would be travelling on the Dreamliner so does anybody know when the dreamliner is coming ti virgin and will it fly LGW-CUN ? And as i find premium economy is better in virgin than thomson is this right?
many thanks
Kaneohighflyer,

Virgin aren't due to get their first 787-8 until September 2014, then it's likely to be at least a month or two before they actually start service. I've not heard which route they'll be using them on first (I don't think it's been announced yet other than Caribbean, middle east, etc), but it's unlikely they'll be sending one to CUN before 2015.

Darren
Thank you Dazbo HT Mod sorry i should've mention i did actually mean April 2015
maybe virgin will be flying their dreamliner to mexico by then?
Kaneohighflyer,

As I mentioned, they haven't announced initial routes yet so you'll have to wait and see. I wouldn't have thought it would be CUN as the 787-8 probably isn't enough aircraft, but you never know. Their current fleet are still pretty good, I wouldn't worry too much about flying on the 787 specifically. They are nice aircraft but more of an efficiency exercise than comfort.

Darren
Will Virgin be flying anywhere next April?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.