Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Virgin vs United
10 Posts
Corinne76,

It would come down to cost and convenience for me. United use Boeing 757-200 from BHX to Newark, Virgin use much larger aircraft. United offer an ok service, not that much different to Virgin's really, it's just it's a narrow bodied aircraft rather than a wide bodied. If it was cheaper and less hassle for them to go from BHX instead of having to trapes all the way down to LHR, it would be United for me. It depends on connections on to onwards flight though too. Which offers the best connections to the final destination?

Darren
I would go with convenience if the price isn't too different. I have flown with both and they offer a similar product, though Virgin on a good day may offer a slightly superior service.
I have flown with both and my experence with United is that I would never use them again unless there was no alternative. Out of the 4 flights I took 3 were delaided with very little infomation provided and Newark seem to be very prone to weather problems, but thats just my experence others may tell a different story.
Thanks for your opinions folks - I think both flights are direct but I'll get them to double check as my mum won't want to do more than one flight each way.
Just remembered you have to pay for alcoholic drinks on United (well at least on my flights you did) you have to use a credit card and prices were in dollar's.
Ok, thanks Colin, neither of them are big drinkers but I'll warn them anyway.
It should be crewed by ex continental hosties, who are on the whole very good probably the best out of most of the American carriers... Last time across the pond they squeezed 5 drinks services in a 6hr flight on a 777... None of our British carriers do half of that in even double the time, especially Virgin "crew rest" Atlantic
Flown with them both countless times. In the past I have been a huge fan of Virgin, sadly they have slipped to such an extent my first choice of airline is now always United. Economy seats with the extra Plus element added are great. If you can afford the step up to BusinessFirst for at least the leg home, you'll never fly Virgin again. Its heads and shoulders above their Upper Class cabin.
Hmm, lots to think about here - thanks for all your comments.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.