America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
There is certainly a question on the Visa Waiver form asking if you have a mental health problem. Perhaps a call to the American Embassy would answer your question.

luci :wave
many thanks for replying to me, I have been looking on the internet and cant see anything on it..
It probably depends what type of mental health problem we are talking about. If it's something "standard" like depression, O.C.D., or an eating disorder then I wouldn't even tick the box on the form. However, if it's something that could potentially affect other passengers on the flight or if the person is a risk to others then that's another matter.

As Luci says, your best bet is to call the US Embassy.
Be careful when calling the US Embassy

It's a premium rate number, and they charge £1:50 per minute,

btw, not all the telephone employees at the Embassy are fully geared up with the correct information.

Firstly, why not ask the person's GP if they are eligible (medically wise) to travel?

One other point, if permission is granted to travel from whoever, make sure the person concerned informs their insurance company.

I would disagree with GEB Quote" If it's something "standard" like depression, O.C.D., or an eating disorder then I wouldn't even tick the box on the form"

If you have nothing to be afraid off, declare it.

If for some unknown reason, you have to come into contact with the US Authorises, and you have not declared the truth, this could have further consequences at a later stage.

That being said, each person must do what they feel is right for them.

If I can assist you any further, just ask, alternatively, pm me if you prefer.

Driver02
Firstly, why not ask the person's GP if they are eligible (medically wise) to travel?

Unfortunately, regardless of the GP's opinion, it is up to US Immigration whether they would allow the person to enter the US. Even if the US Embassy said it was OK, US Immigration could still refuse entry.

Surely it depends on a person's definitiion of a mental health disorder? It seems like such a gray area that, as I said, I would think twice about declaring it unless it's something that could mean the person is a risk to themselves or others. If you go ahead and declare it, I wouldn't be surprised if the individual is denied entry into the US (just going by US immigration's track record). But that's just me... I don't know the individual involved and each to their own.

Still, as Driver says, perhaps it's best to contact the GP and ascertain what restrictions there would be travel-wise. I'm sure the US Embassy has a website that would detail which conditions are covered the mental health checkbox and when one should (or shouldn't) tick it. There might also be a cheaper number you can call for more information!
I have just gone through the Via Waiver Wizard on the US Embassy's website and this is the question that is asked:-
Consular Affairs: Visa Wizard
Mental Illness
Do you have a mental disorder associated with a display of harmful behavior (including self-harm)? Note: Travelers with mental illnesses can travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program provided that their condition does not render them a danger to themselves or others. They may wish to carry letter from their doctor to that effect to facilitate their entry into the United States.

You can try the wizard yourself HERE

HTH

So I was unintentionally correct. :) A first time for everything!
thanks to all who replied...

Ive haave asked me friend to contact her Doc, was also speaking to someone from the Embassey and they said if the Doc says its ok then they see no problem, however she must tick the box on the form..

Many thanks again
Dawn
Quote " Unfortunately, regardless of the GP's opinion, it is up to US Immigration whether they would allow the person to enter the US. Even if the US Embassy said it was OK, US Immigration could still refuse entry"

The point I was making: Asking the GP if the person concerned was medically fit to travel, no good going through the process, if at the end of the day, they are deemed not fit to travel.

The phrase on the post by Luci quote Re: Consular Affairs: Visa Wizard

"They may wish to carry letter from their doctor to that effect to facilitate their entry into the United States" Clarify s the point I was making.

Driver02
Hi,

My uncle has been schizophrenic for 20 years although it,s well controlled and he has travelled to the usa several tyimes and always ticks no on the visa waiver form and has never had a problem.

Obviously i,m not saying this is what you should do,but i would ask your friends dr what the thinks and if he says it,s safe for your friend to travel i personally wouldent tell the US immigration about it as it,s personal but thats just me,and as long as there is no danger to your friend or anyone else.

Kind Regards Nickki
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.