Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
We met a few single people [all male] travelling to Luxor on their own - we were in the Sheraton which was small and friendly I would say. I certainly wouldnt recommend car hire, its bad enough being driven in a taxi!!!!! It took me the whole trip from the airport to Luxor to work out which side of the road they were meant to be driving on!

There are loads of trips offered once in Luxor, Cairo by bus, Cairo by plane, trips to all the temples - we did a three day trip on Nile through Thomsons and two years ago it cost £130 I am sure, and that was full board on the boat, included all the visits to the major attractions, Valley of the Kings, other temples, and finally Aswaan - this was the best value for money trip we have ever done and pretty magical. Whilst on board it was full board and the food was superb. We went in July and the boat/hotel was only about half full which was great.

There are also boats moored outside the Sheraton, we had a great guy called Ali who use to take us on trips around sunset - up to Banana island, Movenpick, etc, and cost very little.

We went b and b and the Sheraton had a very special Italian restaurant, set around a man made little river, with flamingo's, pelicans etc - the food, service etc was second to none. Thoroughly recommend. There was also an Indian restaurant, didnt actually try that but people who did said it was very good. THe main buffet then I didnt think was that great, only used this a couple of times.

Regarding alcohol, this was served in the hotels just like anywhere else. I actually took a bottle of Morgans with me, as I do anywhere abroad as you never know what measures they are using, and used this with my coke without any bother. Same on the cruise, they had every drink you could think of. One or two small restaurants dont have a licence but perhaps have a small bar upstairs.

Hope this helps!
If you are just visiting Luxor and Cairo then no need to rent a car. Do the sites in Luxor, take the night train down to Cairo, do Cairo and then head back to Luxor for your flight home. I would imagine it is cheaper to return from Luxor than from Cairo as you are flying into Luxor. Check out http://www.sleepingtrains.com
You can, as Swisssinai says, use the sleeper train from Luxor to Cairo or you can take the cheaper option on the ordinary service where you can book first class ( equivalent of a normal British service, just about). It is air-conditioned and you can get a little sleep if you travel overnight.
Book your tours etc through local agents in Luxor, much cheaper then through your UK holiday rep!!!
Hotels do tend to be more expensive outside the tour packages - check on some of the hotel webpages and you'll see the rates. We find it a cheaper option to book with a tour company and then do 'our own thing'! :D By the way, ElleDee, since the 'bird flu' crisis in Egypt - the pelicans at the Sheraton have 'gone on holiday' - if you know what I mean! :wink:
hi
lots of local tour agents in luxor ( look near the old winter palace hotel) who you can book all the trips you can possibly want with & theyre much much cheaper than the uk tour operators. our 1st trip we used a local agent for a day trip to cairo & trip to the valley of the kings, our last trip we used the same guy to go down to aswan & abu simbel. theres a few that ive heard are just as good but we used 'carlton wagons lit travel' & highly recommend them

im sure you wont have a problem taking food into your hotel as long as your discrete. we stayed at st josephs in luxor both trips & rarely ate in the hotel (prefer to get out & about) & bought stuff like bread, water etc to our room & never had any complaints.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.