Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
voyager, Kenya
4 Posts
Hi knitter..

When we went we only took kenyan shillings

The Voyager has a "cashier" but we never changed any money whilst we were there. Also if you bought any "extras" at the hotel e.g things from the gift shop etc , you didn't pay for it then it was added to your bill which you paid at the end of the holiday at the cashier booth (you could pay for this with credit cards etc.)

Also I think it was better to tip in shillings.

Again on safari we paid with shillings - although at some of the "tourist stops" (factory/shops for wooden souveniers etc.. - planned by the guides in between travel to the different parks there and back)) they were also interested in english money - make sure you only tell them you have coins.

Also be careful on arrival at the airport - although we never came across this - there are porters who "grab" your bags to take to your coaches for you. Apparently they expect quite a hefty tip - so make sure you tell them you only have a couple osf shilling notes (small ones) or coins

Hope this helps

Tina x
Knitter,

another thought.. the beach traders will also trade for english logo t-shirts, pens,baseball caps, football/sport socks etc - so pack any you don't need anymore...!!

Also you could leave these for the room cleaners - they are very short of these things out there apparently and will be grateful

Tina x
Thanks Tinac.
I am getting in the countdown mood now. I think I will only change kenyan shillings. I will try strong and be good on the packing (that will please the hubby) I say it every year. :D
Do you think you will go back to kenya or do you try different countries every time. I can recommend Goa.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.