Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
i dont think you will get much sun anywhere in turkey in jan, we have been a few times and the weather at night is freezing and in the day it was around 14-16 max with heavy showers and can get colder than this, but i know jan can be 1 of the coldest and wettest mths in turkey as my mother lives theres and always say jan/feb are the worst 2 mths
Don't think there'll be much going on there either at that time of year. Also note there won't be any package hols available then.
The only package holidays offered by Thomas Cook are via Antalya, covering the areas of Lara Beach, Belek and Side. The weather is slightly milder there than say Bodrum or Marmaris in January but I wouldn't count on much sunbathing. We went to Fethiye in December last year and it was pleasant in the day if you found a sheltered spot in the sun but as Ellie-Meg say, freezing at night!
We saw no rain at the end of December but this tends to occur more in January to March. If you want more or less guaranteed sunshine at that time of year, you could consider Egypt though you will still have cold evenings there but warm sun in the day.
I agree, Turkey isn't a winter sun holiday destination. I know in Bodrum it is very cold in the winter and it rains quite a bit too. It is a bit nicer in the Antalya region but still not hot. Like Cazzholly says, if you want somewhere warm and sunny, Egypt would be the better option, save Turkey for the summer.

Alternatively, you could consider a city break in Istanbul, you won get much sun but it is a lovely city.
The earliest I have been to Turkey was in March a few years ago.We went to Side as Thomas Cook were flying from my local airport to Antalya.
The weather was very nice for walking about and we did have a couple of sunbathing days but I dont think even in March you can guarantee good weather.
I would definitely give January a miss.
Have you thought about Sharm. :que
We were in the Titreyengol area of Side in February last year.
We met the cold as soon as we got outside Antalya airport, - it was freezing,
We wakened up the next day, and every other day, to bright sunshine.
The hotel was full of Germans, and they were out on the lounges, and in the pool every day.
We went walking every afternoon wearing shorts and Tee shirts, but, again, it was freezing at night.
I consider that we were very lucky with the weather. It could have been cold and rainy, but that is the risk you take at that time of year.
It all depends on what you want for a holiday.
The year before we were in Egypt and found that to be a little warmer during the day, but still cold at night. You couldn't sit outside to have an evening drink. Agadir was the same too. Even the Canaries in January and February are a little unpredictable.
Hope you find somewhere nice to go :tup

Marn. :wave:
Canaries or Egypt at that time of year if you want decent sun/warmth and a relatively short flight.
Caribbean is lovely but 8 hours minimum flight.
Hi,
Thank you to everyone who answered my query. We have reluctantly decided not to go to Turkey in January, but will try the Canaries or Egypt again, although the "Lucky Lucky" men drive my husband insane! :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.