France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Hi Cider Monster, you'll find the best cider in Brittany and Apple Brandy in Normandy, but if it's sunshine you want, the further south you head the more likely you are to be sure of the sun.

A lot depends on your ferry crossing: go from Dover to Calais and anywhere on the west coast is a hike and so a drive to the south coast can be considered, but if you're taking a ferry to Caen, Cherbourg, St Malo or any of those ports on the south coast, consider Vendee, Charente Maritime or Aquitaine (listed in order of how far south they are).

There are no guarantees of blazing hot weather in France, but go to any of these regions from mid-May to mid-September and you should do well.

You want to know about campsites - are you staying in a tent, tourer or mobile home?
Hi,

Yes i agree with DaleyJ - Go for the Vendee/Charente region, it has it's own micro-climate so you'll have a better chance in getting the sun but without the tedious drive. Inland places of interest are fantastic as well as the typical beach resort holiday + you have the excelllent Oysters on your doorstep.
The Charente region has less holiday parks then the Vendee which has an abundance of holiday parks.

Good luck in your search

Iain
CiderMonster wrote:
Hope that makes sense, was really pondering over the title of this thread! :rofl

Thinking about driving abroad next year, and had initially been thinking of Spain, but it's quite a hike. Been to Brittany before, but not always guaranteed great weather. Can anyone recommend a resort not TOO far down (maybe SW region?) but where i'd likely enjoy the sun?

Prefer campsites if possible

Gosh Cider Monster You want to be looking at where we disappear from the radar at

We end up in Charente Maritime but when you say camping -- have you got your own kit or do you want somewhere like Euro c**p

If you can give me an idea I've got lots of internet links to campsite websites (tell me if you want English run as I can filter that too for you)
and even a set of POI for Tom Tom (but I can convert it to Garmin or others for you) of European campsites at present they total around 18000 so plenty of choice if you have your own tent or caravan
Maybe Perigord, or somewhere in the Dordogne region?
You might consider the Bassin D'Arcachon or La Rochelle for good weather in Autumn - but probably not warm enough to swim in the Ocean!!
Just to clear things up, when i say campsites i mean a mobile home on a campsite ... i have no gear and to be honest wouldn't really fancy a tent :rofl

Thanks for all the replies so far :)
Siblu in the Vendee - St Jean De Mont (I think).
Hi Cider Monster - if you're looking for mobile home holidays, Siblu has Le Bois Masson and Le Bois Dormant, in St Jean de Monts; Les Charmettes, La Pignade and Bonne Anse Plage in Charente Maritime; and La Reserve in Aquitaine.

Which to recommend would depend on whether you're travelling with children and their ages, how close you want to be to local towns, whether you want a large lively parc or something smaller and quieter.
No kids, and having been to places like Castell Montgri in Spain, it's nice to try the opposite with something a little smaller and friendly!
Bonjour Cider Monster - of the siblu parcs, I would say La Pignade, near to La Palmyre, or La Reserve in Aquitaine.

La Pignade is a small parc, with a covered pool, tennis courts, bar and restaurant. Nearby La Palmyre is a French holiday town with a big beach, lots of restraurants and shops.

La Reserve is a bit more secluded so you need a car to get out and about. It's on the banks of a lake, where sailing lessons are available. The parc has pools, tennis courts etc and there is lots to see close by, including Bordeaux (which is a really great city)
Good lucik
go to the vendee

they have a micro climate similar to the south of france but the atlantic is cold to swim in!!!

ginger
Hi Cidermonster.Like you Ive been to spain many times on the campsites there.We have also been twice to the Vendee,lovely beaches there,but was too quiet for us in June.Our son was working for Keycamp a few years ago at La Reserve in Aquitaine,and we drove down and spent a week there,its a really nice site,lovely pools and a great atmosphere in the evenings,also not far to drive and visit some other nice resorts as well.Its just south of Bordeux.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.