America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Yes i can understand your feeling about that,but im sure your kids and yourselfs are so looking forward going to florida i would say dont let it worry you or bother you about your holiday its the best place in the world to go for a family holiday,looking at the bristol airport website the flight times back it looks like its a direct flight back so at least your close to home because the flight back is alot worst with jet lag than going,so that is in your favour.

Just a note you say your boys are 4 and 6 it may be best to tell them or explain that on some of the rides the older boy may be able to go on than the younger boy,ive seen there alot of children upset that on some rides they arnt allowed on,Just a tip if you think its going to be close where they are measured to go on a ride,tell your kids to stand tip toe,that extra couple of inches may make all the difference have a great time...
That's a good point about the children's heights, but I would say don't wait until they are measured at the ride, because that just causes distress when they are not allowed on. Measure them (in inches) before you go to Florida and then check on the park guide leaflet you pick up at the entrance to see which rides they are tall enough for. Any that they are not, just don't go near them. They won't know that they are missing anything and won't be upset. There are plenty that they will be fine for. Do the others next time you go when they are bigger! (And there will be a next time, I'm sure. Everyone gets hooked......)

The First Choice longhaul planes are excellent for entertainment, so you shouldn't have too much trouble keeping them amused. Just take stuff to keep them busy on the ground at Manchester -dot to dot books and the like.
I'm surprised Bristol's runway isn't big enough mind as they have scheduled flights to the states with Continental Airlines :que
We was not informed of this either, thought it was a direct flight :(

ahhh well nothing we can do now!!!!!
AleXUK- go to the Flights only threads and ask Dazbo about this- something doesn't sound right about it- I know he can tell you about your flights and reason for diversion to MAN.
Bristol has Continental 's Boeing 757 and 767's going in every day....
flights from Birmingham and south NEED to stop for fuel otherwise you would not get there and would fall out the sky, some US carriers have extra tanks or winglets which allow the extra distance, but at a cost of nearly 2 million dollars each plane, there is no way that customers would accept the increase in flight cost. That said though it doesnt help that you werent told, perhaps the lesson everyone can learn is a little research goes a long way. Hope you still enjoy you holidays im sure it will be worth the journey, surely the plane will be more fun for the extra hours than sitting in a car? :que
The problem is not so much the size of the tanks but Bristol airport. If you take off to the east there is a hill which restricts take off performance (weight) and taking off on the westerly runway the downhill slope restricts the take off weight. This coupled with a not overlong runway means that he take off weight is quite restricted.(All take off calculations are based on a "worst case scenario" assuming an engine failure as the aircraft rotates for take off). The choice then becomes to limit the number of passengers by about 100 or make a refueling stop.
When comparing to Continental remember that they only go as far as New York This is abour 2hours 30mins short of Orlando and equates to about 12 tonnes of fuel requirement on a Boeing 767 and is the difference between needing and not needing a refueling stop. Remember the early days of charter flights to Orlando with the Boeing 757 when everone stopped at Bangor Maine for refueling (and customs clearance).
Having said that I am surprised that the refueling stop is not at Cardiff
You should have been told when you booked, I was and just assumed that was the norm, my kids are actually looking forward to having 2 take offs! Whereas I am not! :yikes
I agree NOT GOOD 2 take offs and dont forget 2 landings, I totally freak (fine when in the air!!!!!!!) :wave:
:que Hi,
Sorry to hear you have only just learnt about this extra stop. Its poor that First Choice failed to notify you of this. We took this Bristol flight in October and booked direct with First Choice but it did state at the time of booking that it would touch down at Manchester to refuel. Yes it does add on so much extra time, around 2 hours, not much fun if you don't enjoy taking off and landing too much but at least I can say that we found the flight comfortable and there was plenty of entertainment on board for all ages, including games. You can upgrade for an extra £5 to receive some of the newer films and games.(Thats when the entertainment is working in your seat)
Anyway hope you don't let this spoil things too much, have a good holiday, it will be so worth it when you get there.
Sue 136 :wave:
Hi

we are flying Thompson, bristol to sanford in July, will we therefore be stopping as well as we haven't been told as far as we are aware? Where would we find the information?

Many Thanks
Welcome P.T.

This is an old topic from 2008. Any questions about your flight would be best posted in the THOMSON AIRWAYS topic in our Airlines & Airports forum.

David :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.