UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
There is good diving all around the UK some especially good stuff up Scotland some good inland diving centres too find an area and the Padi site will have the local shops /centres listed for you

White water I'm not sure sure off but Wales and the Lake district should have some thing for you
as well as some inland water recreation places have slalom runs as well as towed water ski / wakeboards etc

I don't do those and I only dive in warm water (getting too old for cold water) and also go fishing far more
Hi Waterlover966,

You've now asked about watersports in the UK in 3 separate posts to this a forum - some feedback on the various suggestions that have been offered would help people to possibly provide you with more specific advice in order to help you make a decision about where you'd like to holiday. One of the problems is that you'll find it difficult to find all the water sports that you've asked about in close proximity to each other. For example, there's great whitewater rafting and kayaking in mid and north Wales but the best surfing is going to be found on beaches in south-west Wales. Similarly, the Tay in Scotland provides some great whitewater rafting and kayaking opportunities but they wouldn't be available within less than a 1 hr drive of the coast and the surfing is very poor on the east coast anyway, so you'd need to drive a good 2 hrs north to get to a reliable surf beach.

SM
I am guessing that you are actually qualified to dive..either through PADI or through BSAC.
If not, then you need to be as no authorized inland dive site will allow you access unless you show your qualifications card.

The most heavily used lake is Stoney Cove in Leicester, where the majority of people actually qualify. Not pleasant most of the time but an essential rite of passage that nearly all divers in the UK have been through. The other option is Capernwray at Over Kellet right near Carnforth on the edge of the Lake District. Much prettier setting and much nicer diving (only in my humble opinion of course).

Sea diving should not be undertaken unless you are qualified and have a fair bit of experience. Its ok in Egypt and places like that to have minimal experience as the viz is good and the water is warm..over here it is not. St Abbs in Scotland is highly recommeneded. We are regular visitors there. There is an underwater marine park running up the East Coast of Scotland and the sites are beautiful.

Can't help you at all with the rafting part.

here are some links for diving.

http://www.dive-site.co.uk/

http://www.stoneycove.co.uk/

http://www.stabbs.org/

of course today my heart goes out to the St Abbs community who are suffering today through the tragic accident last night. St Abbs and Coldingham are close knit communities and this will hurt them badly.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.