Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Dear Sue,

Thank you for the link about Benidorm's climate. It was quite unnecessary for you to go to the trouble, as I have already pointed out, I do go there quite often....through necessity!

Benidorm is not unusual in being surrounded by mountains, lots of resorts on the Costas enjoy a similar position and can boast the same advantages.....that it how mainland Spain is.

But no micro climate can offer a temperature variation of more than 12 degrees (Fahrenheit) from a weather station only 30 miles away. (Which is what my original post intended). The weather station at Alicante airport reported a maximum that day of 68 degrees, and the poster reported ‘it was in the 80's'.

International weather stations are strategically placed, they have to be. Their findings would make no sense if an individual could drive for less than half an hour and find an entirely different set of circumstances.

Does anyone think that when they show the weather on the Spanish T.V. they have a special slot dedicated to Benidorm, or when they show the temperature for the Alicante region they have a separate section dedicated to the unique phenomena?......By the replies to my post, perhaps they should!

Like people the World over, we in Spain are sceptical of weather forecasts (although it must be said that ours tend to be more accurate than other places in Europe, for obvious reasons). But when they publish a detailed report of how the weather was, I see no point in disagreeing.

It was warm and pleasant that day (according to reports). Far better than the weather in the U.K..... But in the 80's?........... Nah!......It's Benidorm, not Cairo!

You did notice the average temperatures for March on your link, didn't you?. I shall concede (and close) by saying that 16 Celsius is a bit low......shop around and you can find sites that give you a better average than that!
Sanji, thanks for your updates on the weather, it`s great to hear how lovely and warm it is in Benidorm especialy when we`re all freezing in the uk. :sun2

Oly Daze, your so negative that you probably frighten the sun away, perhaps thats why it`s never as warm for you. :rofl :sun2
Benidorm is not unusual in being surrounded by mountains, lots of resorts on the Costas enjoy a similar position and can boast the same advantages.....that it how mainland Spain is.

Not exactly OD,if you know so much about Benidorm, you should know that not only is it protected by the 3 mountain ranges, but it also faces south...that's not how other resorts in mainland Spain are...having both advantages.
The weather station at Alicante airport reported a maximum that day of 68 degrees, and the poster reported ‘it was in the 80's'.

Do you know, I couldn't give a flying fig what the readings were at Alicante Airport and average temperatures are just that AVERAGE, but there is nothing that can stop either unusual high or low temperatures happening.
Are you calling me a liar ? because it sure seems that way to me and I'm not too happy about being accused of lying or manipulating the figures....or Pebbles who actually lives in Benidorm.?
I'm telling you for the last time that the temperature was in the 80's in Benidorm on Wednesday the 19th March....I was there, YOU WERE NOT....and the posters can decide who they believe.
If you are so knowledgeable about Benidorm, then why not share your knowledge with the rest of us, afterall, in the spirit of Holiday Truths, that is what this site is about....but let's be realistic here, you haven't got a good word to say about the place have you.?

A bit of sour grapes me thinks, was it that cold down in Torrevieja on the 19th March.? :rofl
There are hundreds, if not thousands of resorts on mainland Spain that face south.

If you search the web for any resort and follow the name with ‘micro climate' the chances are that you will get a number of hits.

Here are the first few that I found (It took less than 1 minute):-

Santa Pola
Villajoyosa
Torrevieja
Calpe
Alicante

I narrowed my search down to places that would be well known to readers of this forum. But if anyone has time and wants to extend the search (perhaps even to other Costas), the results make interesting reading.

If anyone has a favourite resort other than the ones mentioned, simply search, adding the words ‘micro climate'!

Virtually everywhere claims a micro climate! And, of course, a backdrop of mountains is not unusual for coastal regions.

Sanji, I have read my posts on this subject, and at no time did I ever call you a liar. You were simply mistaken, that is all. Everybody makes mistakes, and it is easy to misjudge temperatures when you are having a good time on holiday.

It seems that everywhere I have ever been in the World, I can meet somebody who will tell me ‘You should have been here last week; it was much hotter,.... dryer,.... nicer!' And by the second week of my holiday, having become more acclimatised, I find myself doing the same!

I think that in your haste to snipe back at me your judgement has also been affected. The original link for the detailed weather report for that day that I posted shows a high of 68 degrees......the average for that day was actually 58 (Fahrenheit)!

The reason why I do not post more extensively about areas that I know, including Benidorm, is because living here, you tend to see things from a slightly different viewpoint from holidaymakers. My views, observations and comments have been seen as antagonistic, this particular thread is, of course, a prime example!

The weather in Torrevieja that day?
Not actually living in Torrevieja I can only assume that it was also quite pleasant. But it if makes you feel better, it was cold and snowing!

But as far as ‘sour grapes' are concerned, it is lovely today here in Spain (as it will be for several months), I may wander outside to the beach and catch a tan before going to watch Spain play Italy in Elche this evening.......... how is the weather in the UK?
Oh!.....I almost forgot.......

Speaking of Elche......It also has a micro climate!

Elche
Sanji, I have read my posts on this subject, and at no time did I ever call you a liar. You were simply mistaken, that is all. Everybody makes mistakes, and it is easy to misjudge temperatures when you are having a good time on holiday.

This is tiresome :roll: :swear you may has well call me a liar, so did the thermometer in a garden in Benidorm reading 79.7 F in the SHADE make a mistake as well then.? or other people who saw the temperature at 26 F on that day.? and off the streets in a sheltered spot it was hotter.
Were all the street thermometers all malfunctioning that day,the odd one maybe, but all of them.? Have I suddenly become partially blind.?
You need to read your own post about sniping, it was you that started this all off, not me, your sarcasm may work on other people, but it doesn't wash with me....don't patronise me OD.I did NOT make a mistake.
If you think I made a mistake, then why didn't you just ask me, instead of the posting about leaving soggy UK airports and the charms of Benidorm drivel.?
Virtually everywhere claims a micro climate! And, of course, a backdrop of mountains is not unusual for coastal regions.

Not any old mountains to protect them, there's hills, crags and then there's mountains, Benidorm itself is dwarfed by 1406m tall Puig Campana, one of the most impressive mountains of the Costa Blanca which keeps the winds and clouds behind it....then there are the Sierra Helada and the Sierra Aitana range of coastal mountains rising to 1557m....all forming an horse-shoe around the southern facing resort and more than a mere "back-drop".

I know what the temperature was on the 19th march, you can argue until you're blue in the face, and google until your hearts content, but don't ever accuse me of misleading posters on this forum about temperatures in Benidorm again, that I know was the reality.

Those 2 links that you posted are predicting temperatures of 75 degrees F on Friday in Benidorm, so having a day in a sheltered spot recording 5 degrees more, is not so hard to believe, but only for you. ;)
http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/weekend/SPXX0165?from=dayDetails_topnav_business
http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/08360.html?MR=1
I'm saying no more because this is getting ridiculous, I have better things to do than "point score" with you and if this carries on, David the mod will step in.
i think he missed my post Sanji. That, or he decided to ignore it.
Perhaps we call all agree to disagree on this matter for now.

MarkJ HT Mod
We are going out on Saturday and I am hoping to get good weather as it would be a nice change from here. We are only going for a week so even 4 nice days would be great , the only problem I have is that it is packing today cos I have a hospital appointment tomorrow and I havnt a clue do I pack shorts or vest tops or t shirts and do I need a jacket for night. We booked with My travel and only have 15kg so am trying to mix and match. Any help would be appreciated , speaking about help can I say that in the 2 years I have used this forum I have had so much valuable information from Sanji and can honestly say I cant thank her enough.
Perhaps we call all agree to disagree on this matter for now.

No Mark, I will never agree to disagree on this matter, but one thing I will tell you....
In future, I will never ever put one euro into a computer while ever I'm in Benidorm or anywhere else for that matter, to inform posters about the weather in the resort.

You can all thank OD for that, he wants to argue and disbelieve not only me, but also a thermometer taking a reading of 79.7F in the SHADE.
It is your loss, not mine.

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
For the record David is on holiday - Admin and mods are watching his forums.
to be honest , you cant really go by the signs in the streets when they tell the temp...no way are they correct , and to tell the truth i cant see benidorm hitting the 80`s very often either in march ( i have been quite a few times) , i would say the wee temp gage from alicante is the best source of weather temps.( at the top of the forum)...its more than likely about 70- 72 degrees highest at this time of year..nice and warm.

ps just ma opinion like .
Well tartanscone, I'm sorry to contradict you, but MY temperature measurement was made by a calibrated device (since it used to be my job) and was accurate to within + or - 1 F or 0.5 C.

Just saying...
then pebbles all the weather channels this board uses must all be wrong , and yahoo weather and the alicante weather station and , last but not least ...me ....must be wrong :yikes

jeez i will need to bring ma mossie spray in march if the temps go up any more lol :shock:
We had a few mozzie bites in the last week or so. We didn't expect them so didn't prepare. Have the plug ins and spray ready for next time for sure!!!
I hope this isn't going to be the one and only weather thread that is locked on this site :duh

Personally I just use google search and take a rough average when I'm looking for weather updates :tup
Glynis, please don't lock this thread because of me, I won't ever be making a contribution in it again and I'd rather you delete everything I have written, how on earth it got to this stage because I said it was in the 80's on the 19th March, I do not know. :roll:...the 19th March has been and gone.

But before I bow out of this permanently, March 2008 has been the hottest March on record according to the Elche Meteorologicia website...the station is situated south of Alicante.
All Time Records to date
Warmest March temperature: 29.2 °C 2008

This is the data for the 19th March and the maximum index of heat (Maximo indice de calor), in other words, the combined temperature and humidity which forms the apparent heat, or how it feels to the human body, was 26.1 C at 3.21pm and at 12.41pm the temperature was recorded at 24 C.
Medias\Extremas para el dia:19
Temperatura media 16.4 °C
Humedad media 50 %
Punto rocío medio 5.3 °C
Media barómetro 1010.0 hPa
Media viento 4.4 kmh
Media ráfagas 8.2 kmh
Dirección media 81 ° ( E )
Lluvia mensual 0.0 mm
Lluvia anual 23.9 mm
-----------------------------------------------------------
Lluvia maxima minuto 0.0 mm en dia 00 a la hora 00:00
Temperatura máxima 24.0 °C en dia 19 a la hora 12:41
Temperatura mínima 13.4 °C en dia 19 a la hora 00:07
Barómetro minima 1007.7 hPa en dia 19 a la hora 05:23
Barómetro maxima 1011.9 hPa en dia 19 a la hora 00:04
Maxima viento 22.2 kmh de 140° en dia 19 a la hora 14:02
Maxima ráfaga viento 29.6 kmh de 135° en dia 19 a la hora 14:56
Maxima media 78 % en dia 19 a la hora 23:53
Maximo media 26 % en dia 19 a la hora 12:23
Maximo indice de calor 26.1 °C en dia 19 a la hora 15:21
High soil temp 26.7 °C
Low soil temp 13.7 °C

http://www.meteoelche.com/index.php
Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiii
just heard todays weather report from a friend staying at the hotel nereo , he says its between 65 degrees and 110 degrees , he cannae make up his mind yet . :omg
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.