America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Another excellent trip report! Many thanks Driver02. :tup
luci :wave
Great trip report, Driver.

I have to confess, with some embarassment, that I've never been to San Diego, despite having lived in California for several years and lived near LA for over a year (so it's not like San Diego is far away). Perhaps your report will give me the incentive I need to drive down there!

Also, regarding the Golden Gate Bridge, your report intimated that there are only two lanes one can use (Fast Track and the slow lane) but I think - and, forgive me if I'm wrong as I haven't been over the bridge for some time - there are at least 3 lanes in each direction. Maybe this has been changed recently? In any case, it might be wise advice for those not used to driving in the US to stick to the slower lanes anyway... the California freeways can get a bit crazy.

I am interested in the aerial tram you talked about in Lake Tahoe. I've been through Tahoe a number of times but never stopped (beautiful views from the highway still). Does Heavenly's Gondola start near the lake and then go up the mountain? Which side of the border is it on? CA or NV? It's something I'd like to do some day so I'd appreciate your input.

I like the Vegas part of your report. I don't think I could do a week in Vegas personally, but a lot of people on the forum can quite happily go for weeks at a time. For me, Vegas is nice and all but I would get bored quickly, so I'm glad you found a lot of things to do in the surrounding area that didn't involve gambling! Not that I'm against gambling - in fact, I like a bit of Texas Hold 'Em - but it's one of those things you can do at home so why travel to do it?! The ghost town sounds interesting... when driving to Vegas last time (earlier this year), I noticed another ghost town off highway 15... I believe it's called Callisto or Callistro. I haven't been to it but perhaps some day I will. It's in CA and not NV so it's probably a bit of a distance from Vegas.
Great trip report Driver! :kiss

Thank you for posting all the links, I'm sure many members will find them useful :wink:

Pippy :D
Thanks for sharing your trip Driver! It was very interesting
Jaime C :wave
Thanks for the acknowledgements.

Greyejectbutton

You are correct, there are several lane as you enter the Goldengate Bridge, I was just pointing out that with all the traffic if you are not familiar with the layout, it becomes confusing knowing which lane to get into, if you enter the bridge in the wrong lane, there is no chance to change lanes.

As for the ariel tram, we boarded in the centre of South Lake Tahoe, although there are several boarding points located in and around South Lake Tahoe.

It's difficult to notice the lake from street level, due to the number of shops and properties, however, you can access the lake on foot from several side streets, only as you start to climb the mountain in the capsule does the lake become clearly visible.

One point about Lake Tahoe, this is more of a winter destination as it attracts a lot of skiers, although we found it pleasant enough with ample to see and do inthe summertime.

South Lake Tahoe is situated directly on the CA - NV border.

Driver02
I remember getting clear views of the lake from the highway. It was when my wife and I were driving from CA to NV. I recall it feeling like the highway was circling part of the lake. It was high elevation and there may have been places to stop and take photos but I don't recall.
You can see clear views of the lake as you start driving up to Lake Tahoe, on the highway, Lake Tahoe is 7000 ft above sea level.
Thank you for your very informative report :wink:
Doing four weeks next July in SF, LV, and LA brings it all a lot closer. I have never been to SF, and cannot wait to see Altratraz, which is one of the main reasons i am going. I didnt realise that many people had tried unsuccessfully to escape from the rock, before it eventually did happen.

Everyone says the night tour is better, but do you get to see the mask heads they made to escape at night?

You mention you need a cardi for the golden gate bridge, is it cold in the summer months?

Thank you.

Michelle.
We were in SF in May and it was really chilly. All I had was a cardi and one pair of long trousers (we were there for 3 days) and I could really have been done with a jacket.

luci :wave
Hello Michelle

Are you hiring a car, or flying, car hire is an all inclusive price if booked here in the UK, also depending on who you book with they do one way drop off at no extra cost's, for example, we picked up our car at LAX, and eventually dropped it off at San Francisco but just off Union Sq, instead of the airport.

Having done both, we believe the e Alcatraz night tour is much better compared to the day trip, only so many visitors are allowed on the island during the evening, which gives a more personal view.

As for San Francisco, we were there in September, this being our second visit, we were prepared for this visit to San Francisco, having been caught out on our first trip, we thought it would be ok as we were in California, but the wind from the bay does catch you out if your not prepared for it.

You must book in advance for the Alcartaz tour, as tickets sell out well in advance.

Even though it was September, and the sun was shinning, it still felt cold, San Francisco is not the city for shorts ot t shirts.

You can walk over the GoldenGate Bridge, we found it great fun, however, half way accross we had enough, due to the wind, there is an alternative you can also cycle over the bridge.

The following link http://www.blazingsaddles.com/ do cycle rentals from Pier 39 at Fishermans Wharf, you cycle along a given route up to and over the bridge, returning back via the ferry.

The ferry cost about $7.00 dropping you off at pier 1 Fishermans Wharf, you then just cycle down to Pier 39, although we did not rent a cycle, we noticed it was very popular with familes.

Hope this helps, anything else, just ask.
You don't HAVE to book Alcatraz in advance but it's usually recommended. The two times I've booked tickets I think one was for the same day and the other was for the next day, but they were not at peak times of the year (September and November) so we probably just got lucky.

San Francisco is not always as cold as some are making out. :) However, as mentioned above, it is still not as warm as most people think it will be. Some days are better than others. I've only walked on the Golden Gate Bridge a couple of times. Once was in May and another time was in February. The time we did it in February we did need sweaters. I recall it being warmer in May (obviously) but still close to sweatshirt-needing temperatures! However, it wasn't so cold that it was unpleasant to walk across the bridge. If you flew direct to San Francisco I suspect you would find it warm enough to wear shorts and t-shirts (depending on the time of year), but not if, like Driver02, you have driven up from Los Angeles, where the temperature is often at least 10 degrees warmer! I'd still carry a sweater with me in case of emergency, though, and the temperature DOES get very cold at night.

Oh, going back to Alcatraz, I should point out that the two times I've booked trips were both for the day trip. I've never been at night so it's possible the night-time bookings fill up faster, assuming they are more sought after.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.