General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I don't fly, but i've booked a few very late coaching holidays, and they've always been fine

In fact, i've got a few weeks off this year and no plans so far, but i'll be making a few calls just before my time off to see what i can get :)
I don't think I'd feel comfortable turning up at the airport with my suitcase. Also this would depend on what day you went to the airport as certain countries will have specific days for their flights.

I'd probably try last minute for a late deal a couple of days before. Good luck :tup
Hi Natz - Never done it personally, but a mate of mine did two years ago and got a right result.
He turned up at Gatwick (just him and his wife) and went to a cancellations desk, told the person that he didn't mind where he went and was ready to go immediately.
An hour later he was on a plane to Menorca and on arrival was allocated a 3 star hotel half board.
He went for two weeks and paid £150 for the two of them.

Don't know if you can still do this what with all the new security restrictions, but it might be worth phoning your local airport.

Although he had a result, I'm sure that you could end up in a really grotty hotel, so might not be advisable if you are going with kids.

Another way is to go to the local TA a couple of days beforehand, and see what 'allocation on arrival' deals they have got. You can usually specify where you want to go and the minimum standard of accomodation.
We normaly have our holidays planned and booked well in advance but a few years back, due to unforseen circumstances, we were in the position of going the next week, or not at all. My husband spent the Friday phoning travel agents for last minute deals and got the best help from an independent travel agent. We ended up booking named accommodation in Turkey and got a great deal. We booked on Friday and flew on Sunday, picking up the tigkets at the airport. If it taught me anything it was that I don't need to pack weeks in advance ;)
We've only done it once, ended up in Sidari in Corfu, the apts were the pits, Jardin D'Amour. It put me off doing the same for life. Never again. Anyway, since we had the bairn, I like to choose where we go.
If you are wanting a cheap holiday departing in the next few weeks? Have you tried thomson holiday auctions (just google it), it's an online holiday auction, where I have seen some of the holidays go for about £150!. Worth a look if you are after a cheap holiday! They also auction them on ebay!

Years ago, I had a friend who just turned up at the airport, and managed to bag an all-inclusive holiday to jamaica for £35! - This is the honest truth! - But I am talking years, and years ago. I have not heard of anyone doing that anymore, whether they have put a stop to it, I don't know (With security and all that), but it would be interesting to know, if people still actually do this. (I'd actually consider it myself!).

Good Luck

Belly!
Hey thanks for all your responses. I think I will phone the airport. A woman at my work said a friend of a friend turned up at an airport last minute and ended up in the Bahamas for £200! Im slightly dubious though. I'll check out those Thompson auctions though, Thanks!!
:tup

Nat
I've done loads of last minute deals, but would never do "Allocated on Arrival" again, too much hit and miss, some great, some not so good in bad resorts. As soon as you see a deal you like, book it, you don't have to wait until the last minute to get a great deal, in fact, wait too long and you may miss the great deals.

Robby :wink:
this year going to ibiza .got a good deal off first choice.3 adults and 2 kids hb for 985.00.we go 11th may.booked 2 weeks ago.my daughters friend wanted to come and when i phoned first choice it would have cost her 385.00 even though we have 2 bed apartment that sleeps 6 . they said it was due to only 4 seats left on the flight,so it doesn,t make any difference that we had a spare bed in the room.
i normally just decide to book a holiday on spur of the moment and leave in 2 weeks but have booked 3 days in advance before.it always seems to work out more expensive when you pick flight,hotel then add about 250.00 for transfers.we,ve been with first choice every holiday for the last 4 years and havent been able to find the same holiday cheaper by doing it yourself.
We also use First Choice Web site for late deals , as a family of five we pay around 1150-1300 in May/June School hols depending on where we go usually four star sc for two weeks and in two rooms most the time as there is five of us!
I saw ome last night actually that was 830 quid for all of us two weeks in acharavi corfu but it had gone up this morn to 1200 (oh well).Got to be on the ball with the deals or they can just go.
Ive seen deals for 660 quid for all us, but that was a deal to costa daurada at easter ,thought it may be too cold for me at that time of year!
Hey spanish we have been going on holiday every year with First Choice for ages too! Even as Air 2000
I will be sad when they become Thomson and the starfish plane will disappear! :cry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.