Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
I guess it depends on how you are envisaging travelling. We do flight only to Thailand then internal flights and taxi transfers to hotel/resort. This involves minimal handling of suitcases (basically within the airport itself) so taking cases is fine. On speed boats to Ko Phangnan I've seen peoples suitcases along with back packs carring a suitcase along some of the piers could be a little nerve wracking. Perhaps suitcases are not so good if your intending to use bus or train, dragging a case around some bus stations in Thailand can be a little wearing.
Why not try one of those bags on wheels. Bear in mind if you are travelling with a case the weight. We are in Krabi at the moment and we have been charged on each leg by Air Asia for excess luggage as it is a 15kg limit.
oh noooooo - dont get a bag on wheels - i used one for a 3 week tour of egypt a few years bag and the bloody thing drove me mad.

Firstly, the minute you lift it, everything in the bag ends up *moving* with gravity, to the wheels - this makes the base of it heavy and awkward and mine was forever turning over, causing me to drag it on the material. The wheels on these things are far to close together for a good balance.

If i were you, i would get a small 23" hardbacked case and just be really careful about what u pack. If i knew then what i knew now, when i went to egypt i would of just packed 10 sarongs, 5 flowy skirts and 10 Vest tops, 2 sandals, 5 bikinis and some of those *washing balls* for hand washing stuff in skins and maybe a few other bits and peices such as a lightweight jacket.

All these things u can roll up and fit snuggly into a small case along with a few books and some make up. In my experience, with the climate you will be entering, it is not worth taking hair dryers or straightners - my hair just frizzes in the heat the minute i step outsise the A/C room and i end up looking like this...

Maybe a good comb and some scrunchies lol

Anyway i have really gone :offtop as usual - enjoy your trip!!
Thanks 4 all the advice everyone has offered. I think I'll consider Kell's suggestion and use a small case on wheels and pack light. I'll let u know if it worked ok when I get back :)
Good idea to pack lite. I am definately going to be even lighter next time, we were paying as little as 25 baht per kg for washing and 45 baht for wash and iron. There are plenty of laundry's scattered around, my only advice is don't use the hotels for laundry as they charge by the item. :wave:
Thanks 4 the tip MK61, I was thinking of using launderettes but didn't know how easy that would be. I'll try to avoid the hotel ones if the others will do a load for a set price rather than per item. :tup
Has anyone here ever posted stuff back from Thailand? I've been warned about the shopping there and think I might have to if it won't all fit in my suitcase lol! Just wondering how much it would cost as to if it's worth buying extra....
Take a couple of pairs of shorts, 4 t-shirts and underwear and anything else you think you may need. I Took 1 pair of Crocs and bought another pair over there (these weigh practically nothing). I also found toileteries (spelling?) i.e. deodrant, shampoo, toothpaste cheaper and these items tend to take up the weight in a case. Of course the better hotels supply these items. You can then fill your case with your purchases. We were in Chiang Mai for a few days and I believe this is one of the cheapest places in Thailand. I paid £3 for good quality peddle pusher trousers and my OH bought good quality t-shirts for £2.50 in XXXL size. If you do need to post home I think this is quite cheap as my son (who lives there) has posted to me before, to be honest if it was expensive I don't think he would have bothered.

Just one more tip if you are taking internal flights your luggage allocation would only be 15kg each anything over Air Asia (example)charge 80THB per kilo. We bought a rucksack and rolled tightly our purchases and fitted quite a lot in, then took this as hand luggage. They didn't even ask if we had any hand luggage, so we were lucky.

Anything else just ask. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.