Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
You will get lots of different replies here as people tell you their favourite places so I will start by recommending somewhere like Bitez on the Bdrum Peninsular. It is a fairly small resort, all set along the beach so no traffic to worry about with the children and everywhere is flat and easy to walk around. It is also close to Bodrum so you can explore further afield should you wish to. I prefer self catering to all inclusive and unless you go for a 5 star hotel (which would be very expensive for 8 of you) all inclusive in turkey doesn't have a good reputation. I would say it would be better to rent a house or villa and that would give you space and freedom to do what you want.

Some people will tell you that the Bodrum peninsular is more expensive than other resorts but I lived there for a few years and I always found it very reasonable, especially if you eat in local restaurants. Turksih people love children so you will get lots of attention when you go!

Anyway if you want to know anything els about the area or about Turkey just ask.

Kedi
Thanks so much for your reply Kedi, I was just saying to hubby that we maybe best renting a villa or something, but I'll be honest with you, I am used to package and would not know where to start lol.

My mum is off to the Atlantis resort hotel in Belek in just over a week, I had considered that hotel at one point, but it was just out of our price range (we were going to go in March 2010), I think it may well be worth looking at the self catering side of things.

Once again thanks

Helsxxx
I can give you some links to villa sites:

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/search_easy.asp
http://www.holidaylets.net/
http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/

You can fly to Bodrum with Fly Thomas Cook, Thomson, Monarch, Onur Air and now Easy Jet too. There are also companies that arrange transfers from the airport to your accomodation.
Kedi, your a star thank you so so much xxx
be careful about the bodrum peninsular if you want a sandy beach, if you have a child with mobility problems bitez has a very rocky and stoney beach, my 8 yr old wouldnt go in the sea whilst we were there, most of the resorts around this area have similar beaches, if youre not bothered about the beach then fine, but if the kids like to play on the beach, sand castles or even going in and out of the sea then i would choose a resort with a better beach. we like olu deniz it has a beautiful lagoon and is very warm calm and no steep drops perfect for kids, icmeler is also very nice. have a read up before booking anywhere as everyone likes different things
Icmeler is a lovely resort and is very flat.It has a path that goes all the along the beach making access to the beach easy.The beach is mostly shingle but there are sandy areas at both ends of the bay.The water is also shallow for quite a way out.
We went in October and was amazed how cheap it was for food and drinks.
It was the end of the season but I think there are so many restaurants to choose from,maybe thats why the prices are low.
I am going to Gumbet in May as this is the only area of Turkey I havent been,but I know I will be back to Icmeler in October.
I also like Side but prefer to go there in March or April when its ideal weather to go walking.
Thanks for the info ellie_meg, we do like the beach especially the kids.
Thanks Jay Trip, Icmeler certainly looks like it may also be worth considering now, and thanks for the info on the food and drink, as that was also a big concern as to prices, especially seen as we are more or less definately going self catering in a villa or similar.
i can confirm having been to all these resorts that bitez and surrounding areas are a lot dearer to eat out
If you look on http://www.icmeleronline.com there are hundreds of photos of the resort including some of the food in the restaurants.
There is a thread on this forum titled Monies,(just put it in search at the top of the page)and you will see my post on how much we paid for food and drinks last October.My husband was amazed at Efes being available for 1 TL!
I've been to Olu Deniz a couple of times, its very nice there. All different types of accommodation from smallish B&B hotels to medium sized, Half board and AI hotels, although the AI hotels are not large luxtury ones like on the Med coast where your Mum is going to the Atlantis they are still very nice amd probably a bit cheaper than the Atlantis due to not having water parks, multipule swimming pools etc.

If you would like a private villa in this area I think they are more up the mountain in an area called Ovacik, this also looks very nice, but you might be a bit isolated up there and it dosen't really seem to have a centre, although it is near Hisoranu if you need a supermarket and I am sure there will be dolmus to take you back and forth. Its difficult to recommend things as peoples needs all seem to differ so much, but hopefully we are giving you some ideas.

Read the Turkey resort reports on here as that will give you a bit of a guide as to where might suit. They are on the toolbar at the top of the page.

Hope you find something suitable. :)
Hi i would say Icmeler and contact ICR like Jay trip recommened .
A few off your kids will stay free in Apartments as im sure under 7yr olds are free. :rofl
Web address is http://www.icmeleronline.com on that web site you will find a UK phone number to contact John or Sharon im sure you will get a good price from them. :tongue
March can be pleasant in the day but cold in the evenings in a lot of the resorts (also expect some rain).
Most resorts wont be open so you will have limited avaliability of restaurents etc.
Beaches in the resorts will not be ready for guests in March.
Try Side for better weather at this time of year and better facilities at this time of year.

Gene
i would look at all options, try pricing up a diy holiday compared to a package, as well as a few resorts,

maybe if you give us more idea of what you are looking for, we might be able to point you in the right direction, ie do you like a lively resort or a quiet one, do you like lovely scenery or not too bothered , do you want to be near shops etc, we know the prices and beach is important ,anything else ?
There are parts of Bitez beach that do have stones going into the sea but other parts are quite smooth. My children have played happily on the beach there.
kedi she has mentioned prices are a concern to her, bitez is a fairly expensive resort and there was a thread running from regulars that said how expensive it had gone, we certainly didnt see any sandy parts to the beach.
Thanks for all the replies, In answer to ellie, the type of resorts we like are ones that are lively (ish), with having young kids we don't need loads of disco type places, we enjoy having a stroll in the evenings (to tire the kids),where we can stop off somewhere for a drink, also like resorts where there are shopping areas, so we can have a walk round the shops, not keen on resorts where there is nothing outside the hotel/apartments, we have been to places like Benidorm, which is ok for strolling along the front at night, but to busy and noisy for the kids, also been to Lanzarote (costa teguise) which was alright nice and quiet, yet there were bars and stuff if you wanted them. Went to the dom rep, yet did not like it there as there was nothing really outside of the hotel.
I will give anywhere a try, if its affordable.
Have looked and priced up a few apartments on Icmeler online, and the prices are really cheap, but I haven't a clue where have the places are.
Dalyan is nice and flat, easy to walk around, bars and restaurants but nothing in your face. Although the beach is only reachable by boat or dolmus it's a lovely beach for kids. It's also a short transfer time from the airport.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.