Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
Just before you land remind the stewardess about your wife and for her to get one of the porters to take her from the plane, you will go straight through passport control to the baggage area without any waiting. Also they will wait with you whilst you get your baggage and take you out to your taxi/tour bus. Give them a couple of pound for this.

When i have seen wheelchair users in candolim the locals have looked after them well, for example the beach shack boys will push the person down the sand to the front of the beach for you etc, this is no mean feat considering the lendth of the beach between the shacks and the sunbathing area.

One thing to be carefull is if you are a walking around the main towns shopping etc as the pavements if any are poor and you will spend most of your time on the roads. Driving out there is at best crazy.

I wouldnt advise going to the saturday night market as the going will be severe as its fairly highly the surface not good and very busy. Anjuna will be fine but get there early before the crowds arrive otherwise it will be tough (tough even without a wheelchair to be honest when busy)

Speak with johns boat tours in candolim i am sure he will be able to arrange help with any boat tours that you may wish to go on. However the jetty area isnt really ideal for wheelchair users but the locals always find a way to solve these problems.

Hope you have a great time.

Regards

Peter
Also probably best to look through the india area of these forums as you will get answers a lot quicker and a lot more info on hotels and things todo etc.

Regards

Peter
thanks peter for your reply we found it helpful, and now we know what to expect, the porter that you mentioned to get the stewardess to get, would that be a different porter to the ones ive read about that swarm around you at bagage reclaim, we do have a taxi from the hotel booked so i presume the porter will know where to find him. Cheers Alan
Hi alz55, yes they are different porters, they are airport employees and wheelchair users get priority going through passport control ect, the other porters are outside the airport and are not employed by the airport.
As peter has said the roads are not too good, but it did not seem to bother the many wheelchair users that were there earlier this year.
Baga beach area seemed more wheelchair friendly.
Hi alz55

As lin said they are different to the baggage guys, make sure your taxi driver is waiting at the entrance with a card with your name on and you will be fine.
Thanks both! i was a bit worried about airport but now youv'e told us that it dont sound to bad, just cant wait to go now. thanks again Alz
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.