Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Limassol has the Amathus area at its eastern end, Kato Paphos has Posseidonos Avenue and Bar Street.
you could also take a look at Lanaca bay area its flat with many bars/tavernas the town is reasonably flat as well

yasus
wizard
Unless the highly unlikely has happened, Larnaca bay's Strip, the Larnaca to Dhekelia road - or Ammochostou Avenue to give it its proper name - is by no means wheelchair friendly with unkempt pavements and high kerbs.
I've noticed high kerbs seem to be part and parcel of most holiday resorts, which although annoying aren't too bad as I always go out with family members who will assist me to get up and down these. Pavements can be a little tricky as it can make it a little uncomfortable when pushing if they are uneven. But I just put up with it and put it all down as part of my holiday experience :)
I don't suppose anyone knows if any of the beaches in Paphos, Limassol or Larnaca Bay have wheelchair access? Fig Tree Bay Beach had a special wheelchair that I used to get to the sun loungers, much easier to use this as opposed to be dragged on the back wheels of my chair to the loungers. Never see a chair like this before, is this just a Protaras thing or a Cyprus thing??
There is one problem with Cyprus.....

For some reason, everyone wants to park their car as close to the shop, bar or restaurant doorway as possible and that means - parking on the pavement (I use the terms "parking" and "pavement" loosely). :que

For Larnaca, you would be better in one of the hotel at Finikoudes (Phinikoudes) beach area. It's flat with wide pavements and only allows traffic in one direction along the sea road. There are pavement bars and cafes all along this area with a shopping street directly behind although the pavements are still likely to be blocked by the ignorants who choose to park on them.

In Paphos, if you can get along Poseidonias Avenue or close to the harbour - you will be fine as that is a similar situation to Larnaca. These areas are close to Bar Street or Nightlife Street which is fairly flat.

In Limassol, there is a "strip" that runs for about 5km from Enaerios traffic lights near to St Nicholas roundabout (nearest hotels will be the Holiday Inn, Kanika, Kapetanios or Curium Palace) to Galatex Complex in the main tourist area of Potamos Germasoyia.

The seafront road has average pavements and the beach is accessible for most of the way along the sea road in these areas. For hotels/apartments in a flat location and close to the seafront it's best to look at Potamos Germasoyia in the location of the Apollonia and Miramare and as far as the Poseidonia heading towards Ay Tychonas (these are all seafront hotels) so will be more expensive. Apartments will mainly be on the opposite side of the road and as long as you don't go more than 1 or 2 streets back - you should be okay.

Not every accommodation has lifts, so best to do your research before committing ;)

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Thanks Shell for the info, really helpful. I know what you mean about the parking haha. I noticed that in Protaras too. Particaluarly by the shop near to our apartment. Thanks for the tip about the accommodation/lifts too. Obviously lifts will be vital for me as will the bathroom space. I have got good at doing a lot of reseach before even attempting to book a holiday anywhere. That's why I am always on forums asking question after question after question haha.
Cheers again,
Amy
:)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.