General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I wouldn't be too put off by the horror stories you're reading about Benidorm. Many members of HT go there regularly and haven't experienced any problems. It's the same wherever you go, just use your common sense and you'll be fine. The weather there is a bit iffy in April. Many have been lucky with lots of sunshine but when we were there in April 2009 we weren't so lucky. It was dry but mostly cloudy and we had to wear jackets during the day on a few occasions. We did have one day out of the week where we managed to sunbathe for a few hours.

If you're thinking eurozone, The canary islands will be your best bet weather wise but Costa del Sol also has some nice weather that time of year. We'll be going back to an area of Torremolinos for our third time next April despite having a freak week of rain last April.

It's all a bit hit and miss weatherwise at that time of year I'm afraid but there will be plenty of bars and restaurants open in all of the above.
Good luck with your research and let us know what you decide.
If your looking to to buy cigs then I would steer clear of the Canary Islands as (and Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong ;) ) the rules for bringing back tobacco is different from say mainland Spain or one of the Balaeric Islands :que
Weather can be an issue in Spain in April, so close to a city could be a positive should it be inclement. Barcelona, Valencia. Portugal is another option - Estoril/Cascais for trips to Lisbon or Madeira which gets warm weather all year round.
srhjnmgn is correct and not just for tobacco. The Canary Islands are one of a handful of places with a special tax free status (as are the Channel Islands) so they are not classed as "within the EU" for personal imports.

But even more significant, the UK customs import "guidelines" changed on October 1st and the personal use allowance from the EU dropped to 800 cigarettes.
thanks for the replies
i know about the canaries ,your only allowed to bring back 200 fags per person if this wasn't the case i would be going there.
thats why i said onlt 2/3 hours flight.
regards tracey
Tracey.....have you thought of Cyprus, I would have thought the weather would be okayish in April, well a little better than Spain. ;)

Caz
But even more significant, the UK customs import "guidelines" changed on October 1st and the personal use allowance from the EU dropped to 800 cigarettes.

People shouldn't be frightened by the change in the guidelines because they are only guidelines, there is NO LIMIT for personal use from the EU countries (except those with special tax status/exemption such as the Canary Islands)
What it means is 800 is now the green light/guideline figure for the boys on the border control to ‘lawfully' start the interrogation on behalf of our dear friend Her Maj's revenue & customs.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingeu.htm#1

Sanji
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.