UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Where to go?
11 Posts
Yorkshire's lovely Babs you've got the countryside & York city 👍
I don't know where you live Babs or how far you want to travel but I've had a couple of holidays in the UK in October, one to Dorset and another to the Lake District, did have a couple of rainy days in the Lakes but otherwise the weather was mild and dry. As Glynis says Gods own county , Yorkshire, is always worth a visit.
I have been unlucky with weather in the Lake District.
I would second York. Lots to do in and around.
Also like Chester but have stayed within the city whenever we have visited.
I live in Manchester but am originally from Hull so I know York and the Lake District!!

Not bad ideas although had just about ruled out the Lakes. Maybe a little hastily?
Northumberland's nice as well, especially around Alnwick.
I second Northumberland. Bamburgh castle and beach area I also recommend. Plus Holy Island and Berwick upon Tweed. Down further south of Northumberland Amble and the coastal drive.
At the end of Autumn the colours and landscapes of Scotland are truly magnificent. If you enjoy the city and the country you could go to Glasgow and then take a short trip to Loch Lomond and The Trossachs.

Glasgow has many great restaurants, theaters and museums. It is filled with stunning architecture and culture predominantly from the Victorian era. The city was in its zenith moment at the time of the industrial revolution and was the second city of the British Empire. The memories of this era are visible throughout the city.

For a short walk surrounded by beautiful scenery Loch Lomond and The Trossachs are a 45 minute train journey from the city. The area is a national park and has loads of great sights to see and restaurants to explore.

The Loch Lomond & Trossachs website has an itinerary planner to help you navigate your way and the VisitScotland website has a detailed section on Glasgow.

https://lochlomond-thetrossachs.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/culag-looking-to-ben-lomond_blog.jpg
I like the sound of Scotland, especially if we can find a distillery to visit :)
Auchentoshan and Glengoyne distilleries are within very easy reach of Glasgow.
Glenkinchie Distillery is in East Lothian close to Edinburgh and although I am a Glasgwegian, Edinburgh and the Lothians has a lot to offer.
Slightly north of Edinburgh, have a look at St Andrews and the East Neuk of Fife; there is a distillery at Kingsbarns.
If you're coming to Scotland, I must promote my local sights, The Falkirk Wheel and The Kelpies :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.