Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
There are more than you might think. Just a few we have visited . Monda, Ronda, Frigiliana, Mijas, Benelmadena, Casares, Manilva. As soon as you leave the coast and head into the mountains you are bound to find a village. Some bigger than others some very 'Spanish' .
For the feel of "real spain" If you are coming over in the summer, wherever you stay you will not be far away from a Feria. These "fairs" are not just rides and side shows, they are an integral part of andalucia take a look here for a calendar of events, They start in May and they continue until October the biggest of them all in Malaga.
Besides the rides there are cultural events and shows, exhibitions, celebrations of local gastronomic delights and alcoholic beverages and something is happening every day for up to two weeks for Malaga. They really do give you the "spanish" feel and although it is difficult to get exact times and dates, the one thing you can be sure of is that they will go on all night (without the british requirement of compulsory drunks in attendance) the whole family attends from babes in arms to the oldest of the community. The big towns obviously have the biggest ferias, but the smallest village has its own saint (the feria is a celebration of the saints day) and they have a feria for that one day (and night). It is surprising that overseas visitors seem to only attend the "funfair" element and really do miss out on the REAL feria.

Cheers,

John
Try Alcaucin near to lake Vinuela it is very spanishy, peaceful, and stunning views.

Tony Harrison http://www.ourvillainthesun.com
I l iked Mijas, Benalmadena Pueblo, and Frigliana which is near Nerja.
I really liked Rhonda. It felt really Spanish. In all the years I have been travelling to Spain it is one of the nicest places I have been to.
I have nhever mhet Rhonda :)
but Ronda is very nice
Hi all. Not sure if this is on the correct forum but we are driving from Elviria (where we are staying - which is about 45 minutes from the airport) to Cazorla for a music festival. Anybody been to Cazorla and have any idea of distance/driving time from Elviria to Cazorla. Thanks in advance. Gail :D
We stayed in Gaucin. Very much a typical Spanish village ;-)
Cordoba and Frigiliana are worth a look

brian
Estepona is still very spanish as it has not been developed yet it has a lovely beach and marina and a market on a sunday there is alot of cafes through the back streets it is a very chilled and quiet atmosphere
Hi. Has anyone been to Cazorla? Any comments/info appreciated.
Thanks. :lol:
Alcaucin, Periana, Mondron, Los Romanes - all around the Lake Vinuela area. If you would like some recommendations re. bars/restaurants please email me at XXXXXXXXXXXX

EDIT: For online privacy and protection, your e-mail address has been removed from this post. The Private Message facility should be used for off-forum discussion. Please check our Terms & Conditions for further information.
Many thanks
David
We stayed in Frigiliana in July. It was lovely, although a fair bit of building work. To get to Frigiliana, leave the motorway at 1st Nerja junction & go left (No Tolls). As you get to Frigiliana, ignore the 1st sign to the right for the town. At the 2nd (Big green building mesh screen on your left) leave the car here and walk around to the right. This is immediately after the Frigiliana Hotel on your right. There is a bar overlooking the road that is simple but great (Food & drinks). From there walk in front of the big old grand building a(can't miss it either day or night) and keep walking to the old town. Where the bar is, if you had kept walking it was to the new town. which has no real charachter. Keep following the twisty narrow road (watch our for cars passing as very narrow) and keep walking til you get to the church on your right. Opposite is a great "Poeple watching" square. There is very little beyond, other than 1 good restaurant on the left which is at the front of the town overlooking the valley.
I love finding the pueblos blancos when visiting spain, driving up to ronda is superb and is a town well worth visiting, casares is also traditonal and is said to be the most photographed village in spain, istan which isnt a long drive is another worth finding.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.