UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
I'm afraid that the Lake District and Cornwall will be horrendously crowded in July and August - not all pleasant as far as I'm concerned. Mid Wales might be a good alternative instead.

But have you already booked our Eurotunnel tickets? Scotland really will be much quieter than either of you original options and if you haven't already booked it might be worth thinking about the ferry from Zeebrugge to Rosyth near Edinburgh in Scotland. It runs overnight, is very comfortable and will probably involve a shorter journey on your side of the Channel crossing too. Alternatively, what about considering one of the ferry crossings from either the Hook of Holland or Rotterdam into either Harwich or Newcastle. A ferry into Newcastle could be really good option for you because it puts Northumbria and the Scottish borders into really good striking disatnce and both boast wonderfull scenery and the beaches in Northumbria are beautiful and far less crowded than you'll find in Cornwall even in the height of the summer season.

SM
I live near Grange over Sands in the south of the Lakes it is not crowded here and only 30 mins to Bowness,Windermere and Coniston a few more mins to Ambleside same in the Yorkshire Dales where we lived before here,near Pateley Bridge , just avoid the honeypots to avoid the crowds, lots of pretty villages and nice scenery
It depends on what you like and what you want to do. I have been to both places in the height of summer and although there were a few people about, I would not have called it crowded.
Specific attractions may be crowded, so it does depend on what you want to do.
I wouldn't bother with Dorset though, public transport is poor and road conditions are not good, but car parking is expensive.
Hello!!
You could try Northumberland!Beautiful vast fairly empty beaches!
But if this is a bit far,Somerset or Norfolk are very nice tooand there is loads to do!! :wave
Best bet is to ask you how far you are prepared to travel?
And clearly what YOU would consider crowded because I think that we clearly don't all use the same definition :-)

SM
I am afraid that ferries are not an option due to the prices. 2 adults a car and 2 children are considerably more pricy compared to the tunnel.
I am going to look into some of the options you mentioned. Thanks.
We ended up one week in the peak district and one week in kent.
Peak district was quieter. Kent was ok, but you have to avoid the honeypots like leeds castle and dover.
First time I've ever heard Dover called a Honeypot. :lol:
Just had 4 days in the Lake District with my parents and hubby. We were staying in the North Lakes 99ish miles from Keswick). If you want lake district in July/August without the crowds, then avoid the central area (Windermere/Ambleside/Grasmere, not sure how crowded Coniston would be). The scenery is fantastic. I love the Lake District having been on a feww holidays there and did all 3 Duke of Edinburgh Award expeditions in the Lakes as well. If you don't want to walk on the fells, I'd reccommend valley walks which can be done in trainers.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.