General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Lanzarote is good..generally the weather is ok and there aren't too many lager louts..but we prefer is CT to PDC..

Tenerife is great and very diverse.. but you would need to stay away from PDLA if you want to avoid all of that scene.

Gran canaria has the best weather but you would need to avoid PR if you don't like that scene.

We too are on our late 30's with a 14 year old son..and we are regular visitors to one Canary Island or another...

Each one of those islands will give you a brilliant holiday and the lager lout image is vastly over painted. Don't get me wrong.. it does happen but no worse than in any other town on a saturday night.

Enjoy...
Hi

I have never been to Gran Canaria so can't comment on that. When in Lanzarote I felt that if you were staying in a resort you was there for the duration. It is a fair drive/taxi ride to the next main resort. However with Tenerife (my favourite) it doesn't matter what resort you are staying in the next resort is only a short walk away. You probably wouldn't even know you were leaving one resort and entering another unless you are familiar with the island. Also regarding Val's post about P.D.L.A.(sorry Val) it is really only loud near Veronicas where all the younger visitors congregate for the clubs but that is not generally until well late into the night early hours of the morning and it is a relatively small area.

Rgds Jackie
i have been to tenerife( loc cristianos)
fuerteventura ( correlajo)
and lanzerote ( puerto del carmen)
gran canaria ( puerto rico, many years ago)

all of them were lovely but tenerife wins hands down for me, the kids aged 10 and 13 also say tenerife was there favourite.

it depends on what you are looking for.
you are both right.. it does depend on what you are looking for.. reading the original post, it looked to me as if angela 24 was looking for somewhere quiet in the canaries so i based my answers on that.. me and Rob don't mind a bit of noise but i do prefer LC to PDLA in tenerife
(although it is a great walk from LC to PDLA)..

angela 24, i do think your lad might be at an age where he would like a bit of entertainment at night. :wink: ( i have one at the same age). i have never been to Fuerteventura.. but i am led to believe that that is the quietest of the lot.. and tenerife was the liveliest of the 3 we have visited..
Hi have been to all islands and our favourite is lanzarote we like pdc stay behind the main strip near the harbour in the old town and it gives you the option of having quite nights or busier nights would rather have a choice than to somewhere i did not like.
:D Hi, having been to all of them, I'd have to say gran canaria, it was our 12 yr olds fav too, and thought it was much hotter, than the other's' and the entertainment was better too. This is just my opinion! Regards, BBB.
Thankyou everyone for that.
I think we will go for Lanzarote. We were looking at a villa 15 min walk away from Blanca.
To be honest we are all quite happy to be around our own pool in ths day and have bars and restaurants that we can go to in the evening.
It will only be one week in April
I don't think you can go wrong with Playa Blanca. It really is beautiful.
We fell in love with the place and will definatly be going back.
I would say Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria should have the best weather in April. It has its own micro climate, making it warmer than the other resorts.

It is a very hilly place though, but plenty to do.
I would also say Puerto Rico, we've just come back with 3 teenagers, lots to do but we never saw any trouble even in the early hours.
I think we were probably a bit unlucky but we had fairly poor weather during our week in Lanzarote at the end of April this year with lots of cloud and quite a few rain showers too.
Why not try one of the less touristy islands like La Gomera. There is an airport there now so there are direct flights available (not sure how frequent).

When I visited (ferry from Los Christianos) I spent the weekend there and it was extremely relaxed with just enough bars/restaurants to keep us occupied and not one English bar in sight. As there were far lest tourists, prices were a lot cheaper too.

It was some years ago way before the ariport so I imagine that there is a lot more going on and I guess there will be English bars by now :( but still far less touristy than the other main ones.
Hi Sunnysenorita,

If you loved La Gomera as it was then you might be pleased to know that the existence of the airport hasn't changed it one jot! The runway is too small to take anything other than inter-island flights and so there are still no direct flights to La Gomera from the UK. If you want to fly to La Gomera your best bet is to go with Iberia via Madrid because their Tenerife flights go into Tenerife North were the inter island flight leave from. If you want to go from the UK the easiest way is still a flight to Tenerife South and then the ferry from Los Christianos and depending on flight times this can mean having to spend one night on Tenerife - in other words not that easy at all which is why I think it has yet to be discovered by the UK mass package market.

There's quite a long thread on the Tenerife forum about La Gomera's charms.

SM
lanzarote is our favourite, staying in playa blanca or puerto del carmen, you can take a day trip from playablanca (35 mins ferry) to fuerteventura.

fuerteventura is quiet.
All the islands have good and bad points.
As said before it all depends on the kind of person you are and what kind of holiday you are looking for.
Best for families has to be Tenerife (Based on several visits) as against Best for Young Single Adventureous types would be Gran Canaria (based on 3 years living there). Probably more Brits on Tenerife. Gran Canaria is
loaded with Germans, Dutch and Scandis. If you like to explore the Inner Core both Islands are well worth the
flight money. Views from Teide unbelievable but GC has some hidden secrets, including lakes.
Furteventura (one visit) has the best beaches and stoice "Wild West" feel about it. Traffic in Tenerife can be
horrendous and (in my experience) a tad more cloudy than the others. The Loro Parque and Siam water parks are the best I've seen outside Florida and for that it just nics it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.