Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
They will all be pretty much the same weather wise, but I would have to say Tenerife. Well I live here so am biased :lol:
its very much horses for courses mate. Each island is different IMHO and so it depends on your preferences.

Tenerife for me.
oh yes...... must be here in tenerife !
enjoyed holidays at all of them, but for me its got to be Tenerife,just love it
Not sure you will get an unbiased respnse from the Tenerife board, but I would agree with the others. Gotta be Tenerife!
The same question has been posted on the Lanzarote and Gran Canaria boards as well, just depends on how many of us Tenerifians persuade Kannibal that this is the Island to visit.

After visiting Tenerife for 20 years we went to Lanzagrotty for a change, put me off of even trying Gran Canaria as for me it didn't even come close to Tenerife
Now Jackie you'll have the Cabildo down on us if you keep calling Lanzarote by that name. :)
I personally like both islands as you have a different type of holiday on each. Not yet had the pleasure of Gran Canaria or any of the others for a holiday but did manage a day trip to La Gomera from Tenerife and one to Fuerteventura from Lanzarote.
Been to Gran Canaria and Tenerife and it has to be Tenerife!!!

Mother has been to Lanzarote & Fuerteventura and she prefers Tenerife as well.

The Arona area of Playa de Las Americas is fantastic.
Allmen

The amount of time you spend at the town hall here sorting out this bit of paper and that bit of paper I am on first name terms with the Mayor :lol:
Well now we all know who to turn to if we get into a we bit of bother ;)
Remember you read it here first folks.
well i'm off to Fuerteventura in november, seen as ive already visit the others over the last few years, so to be honest any of the islands will do if your just after the sun
After visiting Tenerife for 20 years we went to Lanzagrotty for a change, put me off of even trying Gran Canaria

Actually, I adore Lanzarote, been twice and would happily go again. Took some of my best photos there, which I have since printed on canvas in trendy black and white for my new kitchen. Such a striking, unique island and I love the works of Cesar Manrique. Not sure if I'd bother with Gran Can again though, a bit too "European" for my liking (I don't have a particular problem with other nationalities having holidays, but I feel more "at home" in Lanza and Tenerife) Fuerteventura is a bit bleak and barren (and again "European") but has the best beaches.
I suppose it depends what kind of holiday you're looking for - if you want to chill out and do nothing on gorgeous beaches, then Fuerte is great, if you want quirky art complementing a volcanic landscape, then try Lanza. If you want to be stuck in a hotel full of non-Brits, about half an hour's hike from the beach, then try Gran Can :roll: If you want just about everything else (bars, scenery, sports, you name it...) then I suppose it has to be Tenerife :wink: We'll be back in PDLA next Easter, hoping Siam Parque is finished then...
Cyberspacekadette

Totally agree with you about the works of Cesar Manrique, his house was wonderful and the undergound theatre, along with all the other tourist attractions, Cactus Garden, The Green Lagoon etc etc also loved Papagayo beach. If I am honest I am glad we went even if it was just to see these places, but personally wouldn't go back again. as I feel I have seen all there is to see there.
Cyberspacekadette
What a very negative view of GC, there are many hotels near or on the beach and why shouldn't GC be "European" it is part of Spain which correct me if I'm wrong is in Europe.
What's the point of going abroad if you only want to be surrounded by Brits.
I've been visiting the Canary Islands for almost 30years now, GC isn't my favourite but I do think it has the best weather which is what Kannibal was asking..
Gulp - here goes !

Never been to any other of the islands (exepct a horrible diversion to Gran Canaria) That of course would put anyone off as our plane was diverted in December 2005, when TFS was closed to to high winds. We then went 'tech' in GC and would have been forced to stay overnight, had I not managed the Binter Canarias flight.

But I wouldn't go anywhere else. We have been going to Playa Fanabe since before there was a beach there. In fact, almost nothing.

I absolutely love it there. It is just what I like and want in a holiday and therefore don't bother even looking anywhere else

GOTTA BE Tenerife! :hyper :hyper
To be honest all the Canary Islands have good weather around November time, but what is the point of having good weather if the resort has nothing to offer. I don't think Cyberspacekadette gave a NEGATIVE view of Gran Canaria, it is HER view. Personally I don't like Lanzarote but Cyberspacekadette does, it is all down to personal choice. Some people like to be surrounded by Brits when on holiday others don't, again, personal choice. Don't think we should knock people for having their own preferences.

Anyway there is only one Canary Island, Tenerife, that is my personal choice :wink:
Yes I agree everyone is entitled to their own preferences but Cyberspacekadette gave the impression in her post about GC that all hotels were a long way from the beach and full of non-brits ( which to me is negativity), this may be the case for the hotel she stayed in which she obviously didn't enjoy but on my last trip to GC the hotel I stayed in was probably 1/2 brits a mixture of other nationalities and close to the beach . There are probably many hotels that entail long walks to the beach but that is the case in many resorts in the Canarys.
Tenerife is my favourite Island but there are places there that I dislike, in fact if my first stay on the Island had been in PDLA I would probably never have returned. After all Kannibal just wanted to know which Island had the best weather, not peoples personal preference. So we are all going off topic.
  • Edited by Judith 2007-08-07 12:14:28
I think most people have said that the weather is pretty much the same on all the islands at this time of year. However by reading Kannibal's post it doesn't say whether he/she has ever visited the Canaries before so I think people are just giving their views of the different islands, as you did in your post
Whichever island you visit, it's worth bearing in mind that the prevailing winds in November will be warm northwesterlies bringing potential rain clouds with them so the best weather ie the lowest chance of rain, is likely to be found on the southern coasts, particularly of Tenerife, La Palma and La Gomera. On La Gomera this is particularly noticeable, the northwest of the island is very lush and green because this is where the rain gets dumped as the clouds are forced upwards by the central mountain plateau. In contrast, most of the south of the island looks very dry and arid and it experiences little rain.

SM
  • Edited by SMa 2007-08-07 13:13:40
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.